Romance Fiction posted August 10, 2009 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Steven and Joe search for the infant.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 2 Part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
At the end of the last chapter Leya led Steven and Joe to a storage room in the basement of the hospital searching for the kidnapped infant. Steven and Joe entered the room.
CHAPTER TWO

Steven and Joe entered the room with weapons ready. A tall slender Hispanic man jumped out of a chair and reached for his holstered gun. Steven lunged and grabbed the man's arm before he drew. While placing the muzzle of his own pistol inot the man's chest, he said, "Haga ni piense de ello." (Don't even think about it.)

Leya stepped into the room. "Is they baby still here?"

This man's unarmed state did not prevent his near-black eyes from glaring at Leya, as she stood in the doorway. Using his right hand, he swiped across his throat, indicating her fate.

Steven's heart skipped a beat, when he saw fear in her eyes. "You better wait in the hall." After she left the room, he handcuffed the man's wrists behind his back. "You won't be making good on that threat."

Joe searched cardboard boxes scattered around the floor until he found the infant, asleep and wrapped in a pink hospital blanket. He lifted her from the box and cradled her to his chest, kissing her forehead. "Precious little one, your parents can't wait to get you back," he whispered.

A tall stout Hispanic man walked through the rear door and aimed a Smith and Wesson snub-nose revolver at Joe and the baby.

"Ponga' el bebe aqui." (Put the baby here.) He kicked a cardboard box in Joe's direction.

The slender man yelled, "Polici'as!"


Joe turned his back and crouched down, protecting the infant from the fired gun. Steven stood, feet apart and put a double tap into that man's chest. "Let's get out of here before the entire Vegas Cartel shows up." He bent down checking for a pulse and removed his weapon. "We won't need to worry about this one."

Joe carried Emily down the hall, as Leya walked beside him.

"Do you know these men?" Joe asked Leya, as they turned toward the elevator.

She glanced at the man walking in front of Steven. "That's my cousin. The man on the floor, a cousin of Carlos Martinez."

"Where's your brother?" Steven hoped to catch the mastermind behind the kidnapping.

"I know you won't believe this, but I don't know." She stared at Steven, then sighed. "My guess is that he's headed home to Bogota'."

*****
When they reached Dani's room, Joe placed Emily in her arms. Tears ran down Dani's cheeks as she kissed her daughter. She opened her mouth to speak.

Joe dried a tear. "You don't need to say anything. I understand."

"Thank you for helping get Emily ...." Before he finished saying his daughter's name, Matt had whipped his 9mm from his holster. He took a stance, aiming between Hector Vegas's eyes. Matt cocked the hammer back as the drug lord walked into the room.

Dani cradled Emily to her chest and drew her knees up as to create a shield surrounding the infant.

Leya's eyes widened as she backed up until her back touched the far wall.

"You are no longer my daughter." His hardened black eyes glared at her. "I will not protect you from the family." His accent was heavy. "You will not escape their vengeance."

"I've been told Miguel planned the kidnapping. I will arrest him. If you attempt to protect him, you will be arrested." Matt glared into Vegas's eyes.

Hector pointed his index finger at Leya and spit on the floor in disgust. "You have been warned." He turned and left the room.

Leya stood beside the window, alone, as angry tears streamed down her cheeks.

*****
Steven walked into the room, felt the tension, and scanned the room. "OK, what did I miss?"

Matt motioned him toward the door. As Matt told him about Hector's visit, Steven rubbed the back of his neck. "Why not arrest Hector?"

"According to Senorita Vegas, he didn't order the kidnapping. Miguel was the mastermind. I warned him not to protect his son."

Steven released a deep sigh. "Looks like Hector can't control his family. His son acted on his own and his daughter betrayed her brother. This is a mess. No wonder they haven't been a threat since we arrested Ramon. Ramon would've killed anyone who thought about acting without his authority."

"What happened to the men who had Emily?"

"I handed them off. They're en route to the Task Force; one to the morgue, and the other to interrogation."

"Good job." Matt glanced at the two women in the room. "Take Senorita Vegas to the safe house where we kept Dani." Matt checked his cell phone. "Since Miguel Vegas has the power to plan a kidnapping, he can order his sister's execution. Hector just admitted he can't or won't stop him."

Steven glanced up and down the hall, then stepped away from the door. "We don't know anything about that woman. She could be part of a scheme to penetrate our security."

"It's possible." Matt took a deep breath. "We'll relocate the safe house after she leaves. What if she's innocent?" After pausing, he answered his own question, "Hector's weak. He has to restore his authority and has no choice, but to allow a hit on his daughter. We need to provide her protection."

Matt studied Dani nursing Emily, then glanced at Steven. "Make sure she doesn't have a weapon and confiscate her cell phone."

He sighed, before grinning. "I have a feeling she'll create more problems than Dani did when she was under our protection." He hesitated, then asked, "Ralph Burton retired, what ... about eight months ago?"

Steven nodded.

"See if he'll let you reactivate him. You'll probably need him."

"Good idea. I can always use someone with his years of experience." Steven used his cell phone to make the call.

*****
Leya watched Steven through the doorway and reminded herself to breathe. He was over six feet tall and very muscular. The polo shirt couldn't hide the defined muscles of his chest, shoulders, or upper arms. His pushed up sleeves revealed his toned forearms and large hands.

A shiver slid down Leya's body, as her eyes glided down his frame. His blue jeans fit every muscular surface of his lower body to manly perfection.

Remembering his dazzling green eyes, caused a gulp to catch in her
throat. "Father, I will not marry Carlos Martinez," she whispered. She grabbed the back of a chair as she felt her legs collapsing.



Recognized


Thank you for your reviews. I appreciate you help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.