Children Fiction posted May 11, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fantasy adventure of a mischevious fairy

Fantasia's Adventure

by BethShelby

At evening-tide, Fantasia emerged from her cocoon and perched for a moment on a broad bay leaf. She peered up at the darkening sky. Then, she stretched and yawned daintily and rubbed the sleep from her tiny sapphire eyes.

She was a lithe, fairy creature with a raindrop size pixie face and short golden hair. Her sparkling eyes constantly darted about catching every movement around her. She smoothed down the delicate glittery web-like fabric that made up her garment. Stretching her gossamer wings to their full extension, she slipped very deliberately from the leaf into space.

The light breeze carried her for a short distance before she spotted Kito, the Shannon's large yellow tabby, moving along the garden path. She dropped to within a foot of his face and hovered, batting her tiny wings furiously for a moment to capture his attention. Then, she flitted away before he could comprehend what he had seen and become a serious threat to her.

The hour was still early for most of the elfin creatures to be up and about. Usually, her fellow Wedgeonites preferred waiting until the velvet blackness of night descended on the land. It wasn't wise to risk detection by the few human visionaries who had the ability to sense if not to actually see the ethereal aura surrounding them. In the animal species, this gift was not so uncommon, particularly among the felines. Fantasia possessed a mischievous nature that delighted in teasing. Kito had often been the victim of her merciless antics. This evening, he flicked his tail and continued along his path in apparent indifference to what had become a frequent torture.

Fantasia was disappointed with his reaction but even cats eventually become conditioned to the hopelessness of pursuing a lost cause. As for the impish sprite, she didn't worry her dainty head for long because there were too many other equally engaging activities to occupy the evening hours. For now, her body cried out for nourishing refreshment and she poised mid air while she considered her options.

The fragrant honeysuckle blossoms looked inviting and sipping their nectar was a treat she was seldom able to pass up. Tonight, however, she was in the mood for something a bit more adventurous. Earlier in the day, Mrs. Shannon had baked blueberry pies and set them on the open windowsill to cool. She had taken them in long ago, but Fantasia's keen senses picked up a trace of the delicate aroma that still lingered in the summer air. She sensed that blueberries were the main ingredient. In combination with other ingredients, the scent was delightful. This was a taste treat she felt she must experience. Following the scent, she drew near the kitchen window only to find it closed and locked.

For some of the woodland spites, this wouldn't have been a deterrent, since they could project themselves through solid objects at will. However, this power was granted only to the more discerning of the species. It was not for those foolish enough to be susceptible to the seduction of a whim. Considering her free spirit and lack of restraint, Fantasia was not a likely candidate for acquiring it.

This minor setback was not enough to discourage the lithe air-borne creature for long. If human people were able to come and go, she should be able to find a way into the house as well. Up until now, she had never had the slightest interest in the human species or their dwelling places. Unlike them, the Wedgeonites do not have mothers or fathers. They are a crossbreed clone of a tree sprite and a bit of sunbeam. That is a paradox since they are creatures of the night. Their gender is determined by the whims of the Nature King. They emerge from their reusable cocoons fully mature but unlearned in the ways of the garden. These creatures are then schooled by the wise and all knowing Elfin Master.

Fantasia had attended the classes of this learned teacher, but her mind was not on his words. She was not one to listen to those who might interfere with her quest for adventure. This was her first season, and the world of the garden was filled with delightful diversions. She had managed to fill her nights with entertaining excursions up until this point with no help from anyone.

As she pondered the chances for gaining entrance into the house, her eye fell on the mail slot. It was easy enough to squeeze through but unfortunately it was a dead end. It was only a dark rectangle filled with letters and other papers. She was about to emerge when she had an idea. Since the mail was still there, no doubt some one would come soon to take it inside. On other days, she had observed these human creatures doing just that. Still perhaps, it wasn't wise to risk being seen, touched, or even crushed by one of these giant-size beings.

A large manila envelope caught her eye. The corner was peeled back slightly and the glue had loosened just enough for her to poke her curious little head inside. The contents didn't fill the entire envelope and had shifted enough to one side to make a perfect hiding place. It was even roomier here than the in the cocoon, although not as comfortable. She squeezed inside and waited.

Patience was not one of Fantasia's virtues. She was bored and hungry but determined to see this adventure through. She soon discovered that she was allergic to printer's ink and she began to sneeze.

This is no good,  she thought. There has to be another way inside.Just at that moment, the mailbox opened and Mr. Shannon reached inside and picked up the mail. The sudden motion threw her off balance and she slid down among the sheets of paper. The sheets were slippery and she couldn't find a foothold so she could climb back up. In the tight space, there was no way to use her wings. To make matters worse, Mr. Shannon took the manila envelope and placed it in his briefcase without even opening it. He snapped the case shut and placed it on the floor by the door, trapping Fantasia inside.

After much twisting and turning, she managed to squirm back to her original spot and climb out of the envelope. The inside of the briefcase was dark with the exception of the faint glow coming from her aura. She was now able to move around more freely, but there was no way out of the case. For the first time in her life, she felt frightened. Not only that, the hungry pains in her stomach were becoming more intense.

If only I could remember the Wedgeonite Code, she thought.  Why hadn't she paid more attention that day when the Elfin Master had conducted classes for the new inductees?  At the time, she was amused and a little bored by the whole thing. She remembered the exercise that involved closing your eyes while concentrating on something. But concentrate on what? All she could concentrate on was food and getting out of here.

I am a prisoner and I'll likely be here forever, she told herself indulging in self-pity. Two tiny tears formed and ran down her cheeks. Not knowing what else to do, she curled into a little ball and closed her eyes. In no time, she was fast asleep.

Suddenly she heard a soft and beautiful voice calling her name. She looked up a saw all the colors of the rainbow, but more beautiful and brilliant than any rainbow she had seen before. The colors were swirling in the most intriguing patterns. The voice seemed to be coming from the center of the glowing hues. Even for Fantasia, who existed in a world of magic, this seemed strange.

"Do I know you?" she asked.

"Certainly," the voice answered. "I am the power that lies within you. I have always been here for you whenever you need me, but I can only help you if you release me."

"Is this a riddle?" asked Fantasia. "How can I release you when I am trapped myself?"

"That is a question you must ask yourself, Fantasia. Only you have the key that will release me."

Fantasia was puzzled. What kind of key could I possibly have? she wondered. She thought and thought until she was afraid her brain would explode. She thought of how she came to be in this wretched situation in the first place. She had many delicious things to eat in the garden but she had been tempted by something different. She had desired something that was never meant for fairy food. Now, she was alone in the darkness away from the beautiful garden. If she had only stayed with the other Wedgeonites and listened to those wiser than her, this would never have happened.

Suddenly, it dawned on her how foolish she had been, and now, she was truly sorry. In her mind, she could almost see the Elfin Master as he stood before the class of new inductees. What had he told the students? She concentrated very hard and his words came back to her, almost as clearly as if he were standing there.

"You exist for a reason," he said. "You are part of the great scheme of things. You only find true happiness by bringing happiness to others. Never act alone nor for your own pleasure. If you do, you must suffer the consequences."

No wonder I am in so much trouble, she thought.  I never even bothered getting to know any one else. Everything I ever did was for my self.

The words continued. It was as if she were watching a movie in her mind, and this time, she was hearing things she didn't hear before.

"Your mind has access to great power. As long as you connect to the Source of all Power, all your needs will be met. All doors will open for you."

Oh, I must have this power, thought Fantasia. 'Please." she cried out, "Please Elfin Master, connect me to the Source of all Power."

She had cried aloud without even realizing it. Surely the Elfin Master was just a vision in her mind. He couldn't really hear her, or could he? She suddenly felt energized. It was as if nothing she really needed would be denied her. Something snapped and the case fell open. Papers were all around her. She stretched her wings and rose from the open case.

She was in the hallway of the house. She could see into the family dining room where the pie sat on the table awaiting the family to come to dinner. The room was empty and it would be easy now to have what she came here for, but the pie had lost its appeal. What Fantasia wanted, now more than anything, was to find her fellow Wedgeonites and unite with them. In her mind, she was seeing the garden. She flew straight to it without even realizing she had passed through a solid wall as though it was not even there. She paused for a second beside a fragrant bell shaped flower that was just opening. It contained more luscious nectar than she could possibly drink alone.

I must hurry, thought Fantasia. Perhaps some of the others haven't eaten yet.  What a delightful treat to share with a friend.  I've never had a friend. This is the beginning of brand new adventure.



Recognized


This story should be read to children around nine or ten. The words not in their vocabulary can be explained by the reader. Age twelve years and older should be able to read it themselves.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.