General Fiction posted July 12, 2008 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Paul takes his leave of Ess and Oz

A chapter in the book Ridding Yourself of Demons

Such Sweet Sorrow

by snodlander



Background
Paul summoned a demon to be his slave, but the only thing Scarth is good at is eating. Pigeons, ice-cream, people, it's all the same, and Paul can't send him back. He is looking for a way, and finding various characters that help and hinder.
All the time Paul spoke, Oz leafed through the book, occasionally asking questions to clarify Paul's story. When Paul finished he nodded and gazed into space for some time.

"I'll be frank with you, young demon keeper," he said at length. "This is a little out of my experience. It's probably out of anybody's experience, but Ess was right to bring you to me. Though I hesitate to bang my own drum, you won't find a more knowledgeable authority on comparative beliefs, ancient and modern. It'll take some research, mind. There's some precedence in Middle Eastern mythology, the whole genie in a bottle thing. Though you'd probably have preferred the one out of 'I Dream of Jeannie', eh? Do you mind if I borrow the book?"

"If it helps," said Paul.

Oz gave a sudden broad smile. "And if the worst comes to the worst, I can always act as your shrink. Now, it'll take me a couple of days. Where are you staying?"

"The Kings Arms, down Whitechapel way."

"Don't know it, but never mind. When I solve your problem, you can introduce me to their beer cellar. Give me two days and then call round. If you could bring your nubile companion, so much the better. She makes any excuse to come round to see me.

"Now," he continued, rubbing his hands together, "after all that deep angst, I expect Ess wants to get me drunk. Fancy a shot of single malt?"

"I'm sorry, professor, I have to go," said Michael. "I have to be somewhere. Thanks for your help."

"You're welcome, young lad," said Oz. "I expect to see a five thousand word essay on my desk by Thursday, and I want to be impressed by it, okay?"

Michael nodded a farewell to Ess and Paul and left the room.

"Odd lad. Very intense. Still, it pays my wages, I suppose. Wench! Glasses and the bottle of the good stuff from the kitchen, chop-chop!"

Ess gave Oz a withering look, but nevertheless rose and exited.

Oz winked at Paul. "She's a great lass," he whispered, though at such a volume Paul wondered if Ess might hear. "Heart of gold. You hurt her, I'll break your legs, and you won't be the first person I've hospitalised, understand?" He gave a jovial grin, but there was a hardness underlying his tone.

"Oh, right, sure. I have no intention of hurting anyone, Oz, honest."

Oz nodded. "No, I can see that. So long as we understand each other. Oh, you bringer of succour," he said, as Ess returned bearing the glasses and a bottle of whisky. "I always thought Bacchus should have been female, you know? Wouldn't you worship a buxom female that keeps your glass full?"

"You'd worship anything in a skirt," said Ess.

"Oh, that's not true. I don't limit myself that much. Here, a toast," he said, raising the glass Ess had filled. "To the banishment of all our demons, may they all be sent back whence they came."



An hour later Ess and Paul left the flat. They paused when they arrived at the road.

"Well," said Paul, stuffing his hands into his pockets and looking up and down the street. He rocked back and forth on his heels.

"Well," said Ess, smiling.

"I guess this is goodbye, for the moment, anyway." But it doesn't have to be. We could maybe go for a drink, grab a bite to eat, go walk in the park, fall in love and live happily ever after.

"I guess so." Ess stood patiently, making no effort to go.

"That Oz, he's a bit sexist, isn't he?" said Paul, in an effort to fill the vacuum between them.

"Oh, he's perfectly harmless. I bet if I said yes to him, he'd run a mile. He treats everything as a big joke. You just have to tune into his sense of humour, that's all. He said most of the things he did just to make you blush. But he's a good friend. He would never deny anything to someone he likes; it's not in his nature. Besides, he really is all those things he said. Well, I'm not sure about the hundred virgins. I doubt they actually were virgins, though I expect they wished they still were afterwards, but the rest is true. If anyone can help, it's him."

"You mean he really is a wizard?"

"Of course, and a good one too. Why do you think he's called Oz?"

"I thought he might have been Australian."

Ess laughed. "No, it's because of the Wizard of Oz. He jokes about wizardry all the time, even though he practices it. Did you see his shirt? It was a Harry Potter one. But don't be fooled, he knows his stuff, and if he says he's going to help you, he will."

Paul nodded and looked up and down the street.

"Good, well, that's great then," he said.

"And of course, I'll help too."

"Oh, yeah, I mean, that's great. I really appreciate your help, you know? I was just so lost this morning. I didn't know where to go after the magic shop." And to show you how grateful I am, can I treat you to a burger or something?

She reached out and squeezed Paul's arm. "It'll be okay, Paul," she said, reassuringly. "You've heard of the Gaia principle? All things tend toward harmony, especially if you believe in Her, Mother Gaia I mean. She led you to us, me and Oz. We'll find a way."

Paul thought his heart would break a rib. "Listen," he gabbled, rushing his words before he could have second thoughts, "I was wondering, you know, seeing as how you have been so good to me and everything, well, I really appreciate it, you don't know how much, so I was wondering...."

"Paul!" The shout was brick wall across his headlong dash to the end of the sentence. He turned to find the source. Michael stood twenty yards down the footpath, by an old Transit van. He beckoned to Paul.

"What does he want?" asked Paul, quietly.

"Well, there's one way to find out. I'll look after Scarth while you talk to him, if you want."

"Yeah, I guess so."

Paul looked at Scarth. The demon gave an innocent look back. "No hurting Ess, okay?" he commanded.

"Scarth good," said Scarth, and gave a pathetic smile at Ess. "Ice-cream?"

Paul shook his head and walked towards Michael.

Michael was fidgeting on the footpath, his arms folded across his chest and his feet performing a nervous soft-shoe shuffle. He nodded a greeting as Paul approached.

"I think I can help you," he said, as Paul arrived.

"Yes?" said Paul, doubtfully. "How's that?"

Michael hopped from foot to foot, shuffling in an arc across the path. Paul turned slowly to keep facing him. Michael seemed edgy. Maybe he had taken something after leaving the flat. He certainly appeared more agitated.

"I've been doing some research, and I think I have the answer."

"Already?" asked Paul. It had been barely an hour since Michael had learnt of Paul's story.

"Yes, I can help you with your demon." Michael's voice was unnaturally loud.

"Okay, okay, keep it down," said Paul. "I don't want the whole world to know."

The side door in the van behind Paul slid open. As Paul turned to see who was there, Michael leapt, shoving Paul hard. Paul staggered forward, his shins banging the doorsill of the van. Powerful arms reached out from the dark interior and pulled Paul into the van. Michael leapt in after him and slammed the door closed.

"Drive!" Michael screamed, and the van lurched forward.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. snodlander All rights reserved.
snodlander has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.