Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 11, 2008 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's finally finished

A chapter in the book Lady Detective

Epilogue

by mcdaniel1299

"I can't believe she's been out of work for eight weeks, and hasn't complained."

Ryan leaned on Hope's desk. "She's done her share of complaining, trust me. She's just done it behind closed doors this time. And we're not even going to talk about the week she spent in the hospital."

Hope stifled a giggle as she watched Burly sneak up behind Ryan.

"You'd complain, too, if you'd been hooked up to so many machines and had people come in and poke and prod you every thirty minutes. Not to mention two surgeries."

He wrapped his arms around her and drew her close. "You scared me, you know that."

"I'm tougher than you think." She relaxed in his arms.

Hope sat back in her chair. "I never thought I would say this, but I think you are finally happy, big brother."

Burly looked from the receptionist to the man holding her. "You didn't tell me you had a sister."

He laughed. "You didn't ask."

"True." She looked at her watch. "Give me a ride to the station, or I'll be late for work."

"When are you going to look for a car, detective? I think it's time for you to become independent again."

"I have a car, it's at the station. I arranged for it to be there today. I think you'll like it, a classic muscle car."

They walked to his Camaro hand-in-hand. Like a gentleman, he opened the door for her. With a kiss, he left her and walked around to the other side. He slid behind the wheel and started the engine. They both rolled down the windows to let the warm spring air in.

He parked out front and they entered through the lobby. Everyone they passed said something to them, from a simple 'hello' to 'are you sure you're ready to come back to work?' She smiled and answered everyone. Ryan followed her, holding her hand and giving a gentle squeeze of reassurance when needed.

She paused at the door to her office. Her desk was covered with flowers and cards welcoming her back to work. In the desk next to hers, with his feet propped up, Ruckus sat there smiling.

"You're late."

"But I made it. And so did you."

"I did and I brought it. Are you ready?" He put his feet down and sat up. Rummaging through the top drawer of his desk, he pulled out a keyring with a horse on it. He threw the ring to her.

She caught it, turned to Ryan. "Come with me."

She walked down the hallway toward the crime lab and the garage, Ryan beside her. At the door, she stopped. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, rolling the keys around in her hand.

The crime lab door opened, Mark stuck his head out. Burly almost shrieked in excitement when she saw him.

"How did you make it back before me?"

"Quick healer. It was all in my head."

They all laughed at his feeble attempt at humor. "I thought it was funny. What's in the garage?"

"My car. Want to see it?"

He nodded and followed as she opened the door to the garage. They walked inside and Ryan stood there, mouth gaping as he stared at her car.

"How much did this cost you, Kimburly?"

"Nothing. It was my dad's car. A classic 1967 Shelby Mustang, candy apple red. My car was the forty year anniversary model, an almost exact replica of his. I custom ordered it to look like his, with several modern extras of course. But, I don't think I can get a new one right now, it doesn't seem right. But this does."

Ryan walked over to the car, leaned down to look in the window. Burly stood behind him, remembering the day she met him. Slowly she eased up to him, and yelled, "Freeze! Police! Get your hands where I can see them!"

He turned with a wicked smile on his face. "I was thinking the same thing when I looked inside."

The phone on the wall interrupted them. Mark went over and answered it. "For you, Burl. Captain Ross." He held the phone out for her.

"Yes, sir," she said into the receiver and listened. "I'm on my way."

She hung up the phone, walked back over to Ryan. "I guess I'll walk you back out, it's time to go to work."

"Call me later," he told her at his car.

"I will. I need to go and finish packing later, so if I get off early I'll probably go back to the apartment. Ruckus said we could borrow his truck this weekend to finish moving."

He kissed her forehead. "Any idea of what you're walking into, with the next case."

She shook her head. "No, the only thing the captain said was that some kid had been brought in from a traffic stop covered in blood. He refused to talk to anyone but me. I guess it's a good thing I'm back to work."

"Be careful." He picked her hand up, kissed the palm. "Come home to me, detective."

"I will."






















Recognized


My journey is finally over, but there could be more. Please let me know what you think, honestly.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mcdaniel1299 All rights reserved.
mcdaniel1299 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.