Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 20, 2008 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Burly continues to search for her partner.

A chapter in the book Lady Detective

Another Clue

by mcdaniel1299

Burly walked out of the garage, down the driveway to where Captain Ross stood talking to Ryan. She clutched the yearbook to her chest. The two men talked, neither one acknowledging her right away.

She cleared her throat. "Excuse me, I hate to interrupt. But I think you might be interested in what I found inside, sir."

Captain Ross accepted the yearbook and note she held out to him. It only took a moment for him to look inside, see both pictures and read the note.

Burly paced as she waited. "I know who and now I know why. I just wish I knew where they were right now. It's eating me up inside not knowing where Ruckus is, or if he's hurt. Knowing that it is all my fault, being punished for pains I caused someone a long time ago. A time that I don't remember well."

Ryan put his hand on Burly's shoulder. "You'll find him."

"Like I found John? Or Peter? Or beaten so badly like Mark, that he may never recover?"

Burly pulled out of Ryan's grip and walked to the end of the driveway. The cold wind blowing through her short hair, teasing it. She shivered. Sighing, she turned to look down the road, towards John's house. A car was heading toward her, with it's lights on now that the sun was setting. Something in the grass caught her attention.

Gingerly kneeling down, she discovered what looked like Ruckus' handgun. She still had her gloves on, so she picked it up. Popping out the magazine, she slowly counted how many bullets were left. Fourteen. The only one discharged had been the one she heard on the phone. Reloading the magazine, she placed it back in the gun.

Standing there a long time, she was at a loss as to what to do.

"So, what now, Kimburly?" Captain Ross said behind her.

She shrugged, placing the gun in the waistband of her pants. Like his keys, she was holding on to this piece of evidence.

"You know, Captain Ross," Ryan started. "I've heard she thinks better when she works out. Why not send her to the gym?"

She turned to face him, tilting her chin up to make eye contact. "I don't have time to waste right now, my partner is missing. I don't know if he's been shot, or hurt, or I don't even want to say it. I need to find him. I need to find him now, Ryan."

Ryan looked at Captain Ross.

"Kimburly, take a short walk if you won't go to the gym. Ruckus would tell you to stretch your legs, I know how the two of you worked."

"Fine," she turned on her heal and stalked down the quiet street, shoving her hands in her jacket pockets as she walked.

"Slow down, detective," Ryan said as he caught up to her.

She glared at him. "Go back to work, I don't have time for games."

"Okay, I'll leave." He stopped in the middle of the street. "Just thought I would remind you of how Ruckus found you the other night."

That said, she stopped walking. "He pulled up the LoJack in my Mustang. If you missed that big, blue truck in the grass beside the house then you need your eyes checked. I can't track him the same way."

"Didn't he call you, detective? From his phone? Did you find the phone in the house?" He stood with his arms folded across his chest.

She hung her head in defeat, shaking it. "It wasn't in there." She started walking again.

Ryan watched her leave him, slowly at first. As she picked up speed, he noticed she pulled her own phone from her pocket. Then she stopped again.

In the middle of the darkening street, Burly dialed the customer service number to Verizon again. Once someone picked up, she explained that she was investigating a missing person and wondered if their phone was equipped with a GPS tracking device in it. She wrote something on her hand, closed her phone and almost ran back to Ryan.

"Slow down, you'll hurt that knee again, then what good will you be."

"Come on." She grabbed his shirt sleeve, practically dragging him back to Greg's driveway.

"Captain," she called as they neared the patrol car. "I need to run to my apartment, to grab something. Then I'll radio you with more information." She looked around at the few remaining officers. "I'll need some backup, once I'm sure he's there."

"Don't do anything stupid, Kimburly." He searched her face for her true intentions.

"I won't. I need to grab my bag at the gym, then something out of my apartment. You'll hear from me in no more than an hour, I promise." She glanced at her watch. "I'm taking his truck. If his wife calls the station, forward it to me. I don't want her to worry just yet."

Captain Ross nodded. The two men watched her walk over to her partner's truck.

"Are you going after her?"

Ryan nodded. "I'll intercept her at the apartment. She needs a little room to breathe, she'll be fine until then."

"Don't let her go after Ruckus alone, please. She's not ready for a fight."

Ryan looked at the captain. "I won't let her go alone."




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mcdaniel1299 All rights reserved.
mcdaniel1299 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.