General Fiction posted May 19, 2024 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Esther and Sandra are faced with difficult decisions

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 23

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 22

"The whispering spirits have brought William to me. He is incoherent and rambles continuously with what I believe to be clues."

"Give them to Victoria. She is probably by his side." Esther turned away to hide her pain.

"Esther, I'm a being sent from above and can't lie. In his state of turmoil, William calls for you, not Victoria."

Esther gasped, and her spirit shimmered brighter than the sun's rays. She whispered, "It's not possible."

Sebastian held out the notebook, its pages filled with William's incoherent ramblings. "These words may seem like madness, but within them lies the key to freeing you, William, and so many more. You are the only one who can bring him back. Will you help me?"

Esther stared at the notebook, then into Sebastian's eyes. She saw a flicker of hope and wondered if this was her chance to find peace. Though she was doubtful, her heart would not turn away from William. She whispered, "Take me to him. I will do what I can."


CHAPTER 23

Standing in the rose garden outside the carriage house, Sebastian paused, giving Esther time to catch her breath. She'd remained silent as they'd walked through the field of wildflowers, her ethereal figure fading in and out, showing how fragile she was by Sebastian's request.

"Esther, do you understand that going to William is your choice? It is not my place or even within my capabilities to force you to do this if you prefer not to. That is not part of anyone's plan. I am only here to offer guidance."

The radiant aura surrounding Esther's figure dimmed, almost vanishing. Knowing the weight of her decision, a sense of dread washed over Sebastian's heart. If she chose not to tend to William, everyone would be lost. He understood the depth of her turmoil; after all, William had broken her heart not once but twice, taking her son away. Forgiving such betrayal was no easy feat for a mortal. Because of his actions, she made decisions that doomed her to an unbearable place in purgatory. He could not tell her that caring for William might be her salvation and redemption. She had to decide her own path.

With a heavy sigh, she lowered her weary body onto the bench. Memories of meeting Madeline and sitting in the same spot flashed through her thoughts. She remembered the compassion she'd felt; though strange, it felt warm and peaceful.

Could helping William do the same? Deep in her heart, she was aware of the love she'd once felt for him, and being close to William might ease the ache she felt for her lost son.

*****

Sebastian feared leaving William alone would expose him to Victoria or any other evil spirits if they discovered where he was. He didn't want to rush Esther, but his priority was William's safety. His voice was soft and reassuring as he addressed her, "I do not mean to pressure you, but my absence from William's side leaves him vulnerable to the others. It is your choice, but I need to return to him regardless."

Esther raised her eyes to face Sebastian. "Your compassion is overwhelming, Sebastian. Your God made an excellent choice, making you a celestial being. I didn't remember you as kind or understanding as a mortal."

"I wasn't always. It was something I had to learn and come to terms with. It wasn't easy, but I didn't face the pain you did." He smiled and reached out to touch her. "He is not my God, Esther; he is the shepherd of all his lambs, including you."

"Me? I fear you are being overly kind."

"Esther, I was sent on this mission to find you. Would God do that if he thought you're not worthy?" Sebastian moved toward the carriage house door. "I must go. Give me your hand if you want me to take you to William. If not, I will leave you." The gravity of the situation was not lost on him, but he knew it was not his position to push her. She had to make the decision.

Sebastian held out his hand. Esther closed her eyes, inhaling sharply and slowly releasing her breath before slipping her ethereal hand into his.

*****

Sebastian touched the lamp on James's writing desk and opened the bookcase, revealing a tunnel. "Don't be afraid. I can light the way. The tunnel leads beneath the gardens, opening inside the mansion."

Taking another deep breath, she slipped through the opening, following Sebastian. The sound of the bookcase closing startled her, but a sense of awe quickly replaced her fears as lanterns lining the tunnel walls illuminated their way. Artifacts, guns, and swords hung on the walls, their splendor captivating Esther, each whispering forgotten tales.

*****

Sebastian touched a stone high on the tunnel wall. As he twisted it, a rocky section shifted to the side, allowing Sebastian and Esther to step inside. As she entered the dimly lit room, her ghostly form glided silently across the floorboards. The air was initially thick, but Esther felt it clear after a few moments.

Sebastian slid a heavy curtain, opening an adjoining room. William was lying in an unconscious state on an antique bed, his hands and legs jerking occasionally. His face was pale as a strange light filtered through the cracked windowpane.

Esther could see him as her eyes focused in the dim light. A rush of emotions surged through her. Anger, hurt, love, and an overwhelming sadness twisted inside her like a tangled vine. She hesitated at the doorway, her heart pounding as if it might break free from her chest. 'How did it come to this?' she wondered — her mind a whirlwind of memories and regrets.

Sebastian moved closer to William, checking if anything had changed since he'd left. He quickly checked the large gash, remnants of Victoria's wrath to his head. Esther remained in the doorway, trembling,

"Right now, he is unaware that either of us is here. Sit with him and see if you find it in yourself to stay. If you want to leave, I will show you the way back." Sebastian placed a chair by the bedside, urging her to sit. "Come closer."

Esther took a deep breath and moved, closing the distance between her and the man she'd once loved more than life itself. The room was filled with the scent of old wood and dust. Her fingers trembled as she reached out, stopping short of touching his cold skin.

Breaking the eerie silence, she whispered, "William, I'm here." Tears welled in her eyes, threatening to spill. Her eyes shimmered with sorrow, pain, and grief she'd tried to bury. Yet, in that moment, she knew she still loved this man deeply. Whether she was forced to remain in purgatory forever, she knew she could not leave his side.

Gently, she placed her hand on his forehead, stroking his brow. Her first contact with him sent a shiver through her, not from the icy cold but from the memories it invoked. Thoughts rushed through her as memories of his touch and how he had once made her feel alive and loved. Now, he was a shadow of that man, lost in purgatory, but she would not surrender to Victoria's claim to his heart this time.

Sebastian smiled as he watched Esther face her fears and accept her place by William's side.

*****

The loss of the key left Sandra in a confusing turmoil that left her wondering if she should leave the mansion and return to the city. She'd lost faith in her ability to be a crime investigator or her ability to help save these lost souls. Her hope of speaking to James about her concerns was on hold because, according to Lorrie, he'd been summoned to the council.

Needing time to think, Sandra returned to the study, hoping to curl up before the fire while she mulled over her decision. As she entered the room, her nose wrinkled at the smell, not the usual damp, musty odor when the room was filled with spirits.

"Oooh! It smells like a brewery in here." She moved across the room to open the window, letting the sweet aroma of roses and fresh air penetrate the foul smell.

"My fault." A male voice spoke from the dark corner.

Startled, Sandra gasped and turned to see who was there. "Benny! I didn't see you when I came into the room. Hope I am not interrupting anything."

"Only my drinking. Lately, the only good thing about being able to materialize as a mortal is the pleasure of drinking fine bourbon." He raised his glass in the air and then returned it to his lips, taking a long sip of the liquor. "I'm afraid I might have broken a bottle or two in my anger."

As Sandra moved closer to him, she could see the shattered pieces of glass on the floor and a damp stain on the wallpaper. She chose not to comment. "I thought I'd sit by the fire. Would you care to join me?"

Benny scowled, "I doubt I'd be much of a conversationist. The bourbon hasn't soothed my temper."

"I haven't heard your story yet. Maybe you would like to tell me about it."

"What does it matter? We are all doomed without the key or the Judge's book." His voice was laced with bitterness and sorrow.

"Don't give up, Benny." She held out her hand to him. "Please come sit with me and tell me your story."

After a few moments of thought, he followed her to the fireplace. Sandra settled into one corner of the sofa, and Benny stood, putting his glass on the mantle.

"How does the fairytale go — once upon a time?" Benny shook his head and turned toward the window, inhaling sharply. "If I was given the chance to redo my life, I might do it differently, but I'm not sure that would be the truth."

Having no knowledge of Benny's past, Sandra naively asked, "What was your life like?"

"Different, I guess. Definitely filled with intrigue and adventure."

"Hmmm — it sounds interesting. Did you have a family? What was your profession?"

A sadness filled Benny's eyes as he answered. "No family. A wife and kids didn't fit into the picture." He sipped his bourbon and smiled, knowing Sandra wasn't prepared for what he would say next. "You see, I was a professional hitman."

Her eyes widened, and she stammered, "A hit—man? You murdered people?" Sandra felt an icy chill crawl up her spine as she stared at Benny. "How does —" She gulped. "How does anyone obtain redemption from killing people?"

Benny laughed, but it was an eerie, chilling sound. "I didn't kill anyone who didn't deserve it."

Sandra's discomfort was evident as her eyes darted around the room. She swallowed hard and let her gaze settle on Benny. "There must be more to your story than that. How did you end up with the other guys?"

"Lucky, I guess." Benny set his glass on the mantle and moved to the sofa, sitting at the far end. "Actually, someone hired me to kill Noah."

Sandra gasped, and her hand flew to her mouth. "You — you killed Noah?"

"Relax." Benny chuckled at her reaction. Most people would be shocked at his revelation, not that he'd told too many about what he did for a living. Those kinds of things were best kept to yourself. "Those days are far behind me, but to answer your question — no, I didn't kill Noah. I couldn't. We'd been friends since grade school, and like I said, I only knocked off people who had it coming."

"So — what did you do?"

"I went straight to Noah and told him. I showed him the packet of money I'd been given. He tried to laugh it off, but I could see he was upset. He even asked if it was Madeline."

"Was it?"

"No, but I must admit, since she was getting so cozy with the sheriff, I thought she might have been involved." Benny sighed and continued, "Unfortunately, Theo — the mansion's gardener — overheard our conversation and decided he wanted the money. He threatened me, and we got into a huge brawl. He came after me with a large knife he used in the garden." Bennie sighed, "We struggled, and I got the upper hand, plunging the knife into his gut. End of story."

"That can't be all that's to it, Benny. You didn't just murder people and then end up here in purgatory."

"Humph! Got that investigative reporter brain of yours going, huh?" Benny smiled. "You're right. I was a modern-day Robin Hood, so to speak. Whenever money crossed my palm, it ended up in the church basket on Sunday. The Lord and I had some long talks. He must have listened when I told him I was sorry for my past because I ended up here with Ryan and the Judge with a chance for redemption."

Sandra stared into the crackling fire, mulling over Benny's story. She'd been brought here to help these lost souls and was about to turn her back on them and walk away. She'd lost the book and now the key. "Don't give up, Benny."

"Without the book or the key, we can't find the treasure. Accept the fact, Sandra, we're doomed."

"I'm not giving up. I'm going to get that key back and find the book." Without another word, she stood and left the study.



Recognized


Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker
Benny Gonzales - The Hitman
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Tim - The Familiar Stranger
Kitty, Maggie, Frank, Teresa - ghosts from Madeline's past
The sheriff - An evil man given one last chance to change his ways
Victoria - the ghostly FORMER mistress in the 1800s
Esther - a female ghost from the 1800s, hoping to reclaim what's rightfully hers
Sebastian - once a lover and friend of Victoria's but now a celestial being
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.