General Fiction posted May 17, 2024 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sebastian seeks out Esther

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 22

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 21

Madeline knelt beside the chair, frightened for herself and her friend. "Are you alright? What happened to you?"

Esther straightened her dress, patting her body and face before a chuckle escaped her lips. Madeline jumped at the unexpected sound and stood up, staring at the woman. Finally, convinced that she'd returned intact, she grinned. "You didn't offend me, dear Madeline. And you certainly didn't do anything to me." She inhaled, closed her eyes, and then exhaled slowly. "A dark moment from my past life grabbed hold of me, and I was yanked backward in time, but only for a brief moment. I believe it had something to do with appearing as a mortal, but since it's a first, I'm not sure what to make of it."

"Was it something I said?" Madeline had never felt so mortified in her life, fearing she'd done harm to Esther.

"Maybe indirectly, but it's nothing you could have known." Esther sighed and then cast a soft gaze at Madeline. "After I lost my one love, I sank into depression, not caring about life, just taking what was there to claim."

Madeline's eyes widened. "You were a thief? A bandit?"

"In a manner of speaking. I stole other women's happiness by taking their husbands, using them until they had nothing else to give, and then moving on to another." Her voice faltered, and the room cooled as she regretfully said, "You see, dear, I, too, was a prostitute."

The room was quiet except for the breath of the two women. They stared at each other before erupting into a roar of raucous laughter. Two peas in a pod!

*****


Chapter 22

Esther leaned her head against the chair, gazing out the window, watching the sun's rays dance across the rose garden. "It's so beautiful, isn't it? Until today, the rose garden and the field of wildflowers were my only spots of comfort." Esther sighed, "Thanks to you —" She paused, and her train of thought drifted from the present to lost love. She pictured herself walking in the garden, hand in hand, with him. She enjoyed the warmth, but memories of her loss began creeping back, and her body's glow dimmed. Trying to shift her mind in a different direction, she asked, "Did you and your husband walk in the garden?"

Madeline's fingers toyed with a lace doily on the arm of the chair, remembering. She, too, gazed out the window at the garden before answering. "We did — at first. It was such a beautiful spot, especially at night under the stars. We were so much in love."

"What happened?" Esther didn't want to pry, but they'd been sharing so much as they talked, and it seemed natural to ask.

Madeline stared at her hands, rubbing them, as she searched for the right words, realizing there weren't any. Regardless of how she answered, the picture her words painted wouldn't be pretty.

"I'm sorry, Madeline. I didn't mean to distress you."

"No, it's something I must face. I wasn't a good person. Ask anyone in the mansion, and they'll be quick to describe me as hateful, selfish, and even cruel."

Esther shook her head. Her voice was soothing as she murmured, "That's not the Madeline I've met. Maybe this is your second chance."

Madeline raised her eyes to look at Esther. "Second chance or not, I'm grateful for having met you." Their eyes shifted to the garden, and they sat quietly, each lost in their thoughts.

Finally, Madeline spoke, "I'd gone from living on the streets or in a bordello to being a lady of the manor. I could walk the town streets, and everyone would smile and say hello. If I needed something, the stores were quick to find it for me, regardless of how busy they were with other customers. I began to believe I deserved the extra attention because of our wealth. Noah was busy with his work, something he didn't share with me. So, I was left alone." Madeline sighed and then smiled at her new friend. "I read a quote once that sums it all up. I believe it said — an idle mind is the devil's workshop."

"So, you were bored and sought something to amuse yourself?" A troubled expression covered Esther's face. "It happens to a lot of people."

"I didn't have to search far. Men were quick to find me, especially one particular one. Foolishly, I thought he cared about me, but I was just a means to what he wanted much more than me. My silly flirtation gave him access to our home and the opportunity to murder Noah."

Esther gasped. "Someone murdered your husband?"

"Yes, but I was blind to his plans until I was trapped in his lies. Everyone pointed their finger at me, accusing me of murdering Noah. My anger turned to rage, and I made matters worse, acting out, causing problems, and solidifying their beliefs."

"You were hurt." Esther understood the pain and wished she could reach out and hug Madeline. She stood and moved around the room, admiring Madeline's beautiful things. "I, too, was heartbroken and shunned by the upper class. Talk about being dimwitted, my dear. I am at the top of the class. I was young and in love. I believed anything was possible, including having a future with a man far above my status in life. I discovered I was pregnant. I was afraid and didn't know what to do. I shared my problem with a woman who claimed to be my friend. Foolishly, I thought someone so worldly would know how to help me. Shortly after, I noticed the women whispering, sharing gossip, and turning their backs on me."

Esther continued, "The woman I'd confided in told me the pregnancy would destroy any future I hoped to have with the man I loved. She said I needed to either do something about the child or break it off with him because he deserved better. She painted a devastating picture, one of sheer doom." A damp, cold breeze floated across the room, and Esther's glow faded as her sadness consumed her as it had all these years.

Madeline shivered, but her heart remained focused on Esther and her suffering. Afraid to approach her, she tried to bring her back to the now. "Esther, tell me about the child."

Slowly, Esther's body began to glimmer, not nearly as brightly as it had earlier, but with a warm glow. Her voice was soft as if she were caressing the child. "He was beautiful—perfect fingers and toes, chubby cheeks, and massive locks of black curly hair. It was the happiest time of my life." Esther's light flickered, shining brightly and then almost fading away as she remembered the loss of her son. "His name was Will."

Madeline stood and moved closer. "I sense something happened, something that you never overcame. Sometimes, it helps to talk about it. Do you want to tell me?"

"Not just yet." The sadness in Esther's eyes told Madeline it wasn't a story her friend wanted to remember.

Madeline searched her mind for something to ease the tension. "I don't claim to understand all this purgatory stuff, but if you are here in the mansion, doesn't that mean that you, too, have a second chance at redemption? Imagine leaving this place for the beauty of eternal life."

"It's a fairytale thought, but I doubt it will happen." Esther's tone was filled with bitterness.

Madeline ignored her anger, imagining it was because of her pain. "Why not? I'm sure you haven't lived the gruesome lives of some of these people. I don't know their history, but the few I recall seeing —" Memories of what she still referred to as her nightmares flashed through her thoughts, and icy fingers strummed her spine. "Well, if they are here for redemption, you, my friend, should rise to the top of the list."

"There can be no greater pain than what I have suffered in the past. I turned my back on God —" Esther turned away, pretending to study the pictures on the wall. "Redemption is out of the question."

"I don't believe that, Esther. Regardless of what I've done in my past, I believe that if I open my heart to him, he will come."

Esther laughed. "Sorry, but are you referring to God or to that luscious man of yours?"

"Esther, you know what I meant." A pink flush crept across Madeline's face as she unconsciously thought of Noah.

Suddenly, Esther stopped perusing the room. A picture of an older man hung above the fireplace. His eyes reminded her of a younger man she once loved. Her eyes welled with tears as she stared at it. Trembling, she asked, "The man in the picture — did he live here?"

Madeline glanced at the oil painting and shrugged. "I'm not sure. I think Noah said he might have owned the mansion at one time, long ago. It might have been sold after his death."

"A beautiful place to live out one's life." Esther's eyes remained glued to the painting as she murmured, "His family must have been happy here."

"I'm not privy to the whole story, but I think he might have been murdered." Madeline lowered her voice, "Do you know the story about the hidden treasure?"

"I've heard rumblings, but I try to keep to myself."

"I believe he's connected to it, and somehow so is everyone's redemption. Like I said, I only know bits and pieces."

"His eyes remind me of someone."

"The man you loved?"

"It doesn't matter, does it? One can't turn back the clock, nor can I believe some mysterious treasure can bring me redemption." Abruptly, Esther turned to face Madeline. "I need to go."

Without another word, her spirit faded, and she was gone, leaving Madeline troubled by what happened.

******

Overwhelmed with memories, Esther left Madeline without an explanation, retreating to the field of wildflowers, trying to gain some sense of order in her trembling body. Tears streamed down her face, and the warmth she'd felt from the sun was a distant memory. Her tormented soul cried out for answers.

Her time on earth had ended, yet memories suddenly haunted her. Is this what purgatory was about?

Her thoughts wandered to the days of her earthly existence. She remembered the warmth of William's touch, the joy of their son's laughter, and the cold sting of betrayal when Victoria stole them away.

Sebastian watched from a distance, his celestial aura hidden from view. He felt the burden of his mission pressing heavily on his shoulders. This was no ordinary task. He was expected to unravel the tangled web of pain and mistrust without revealing divine intervention, except things were far more complicated, and he struggled with his next move.

He'd tried to warn Victoria, but she failed to listen. Was Esther his only hope?

He flipped through a notebook, reading and rereading the garbled words he'd written, knowing William's ramblings were the clues to everyone's redemption. Did he dare approach Esther? Would she recognize him as Victoria's jilted lover? Or were her wounds so deep that she'd not want useless memories to be brought to light? After all, he knew how life had treated her and the pain she'd suffered.

Ultimately, he knew he had no choice but to approach her and prayed she harbored enough memories of her love for William and their son to help him.

As he stepped into the clearing, Esther raised her head and saw a figure. In the distance, she could not recognize him, yet, oddly enough, she felt comforted by his approaching spirit. He called her name, "Esther."

Her eyes darkened from painful memories as he drew closer, yet she softly murmured his name, "Sebastian?"

"It is I. Please don't fear me because I hope to bring you peace."

Esther scoffed, "Peace? The scars are too deep, as you should know and understand. Why would a celestial being come to this place? Is this a trick because I turned my back on your God?"

"I know your pain, Esther. I once stood where you stand now, lost and broken. My desire — my mission — is to find a path for redemption."

"Why come to me? Victoria seeks the treasure, not I."

"I warned Victoria, but she will not listen. I can't help someone who does not want to be saved."

"Then you should leave me to my sorrows. Nothing awaits me in your Heaven."

"You are mistaken. Your love for William and your son holds the key to your salvation."

"You're too late. William has succumbed to Victoria, and as for my son — I surrendered him too. Though my heart was ripped from me, I was forced to turn away."

"But you didn't turn away, Esther. That love — you carry it with you to this very day. You can't blame God for what Satan has done."

"What does it matter, Sebastian? I will never see either of them again."

"You are wrong. The whispering spirits have brought William to me. He is incoherent and rambles continuously with what I believe to be clues."

"Give them to Victoria. She is probably by his side." Esther turned away to hide her pain.

"Esther, I'm a being sent from above and can't lie. In his state of turmoil, William calls for you, not Victoria."

Esther gasped, and her spirit shimmered brighter than the sun's rays. She whispered, "It's not possible."

Sebastian held out the notebook, its pages filled with William's incoherent ramblings. "These words may seem like madness, but within them lies the key to freeing you, William, and so many more. You are the only one who can bring him back. Will you help me?"

Esther stared at the notebook, then into Sebastian's eyes. She saw a flicker of hope and wondered if this was her chance to find peace. Though she was doubtful, her heart would not turn away from William. She whispered, "Take me to him. I will do what I can."



Recognized


Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker I - the grandfather
Judge William Parker (Bully) - the grandson
Benny Gonzales - The Hitman
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Tim - The Familiar Stranger
Kitty, Maggie, Frank, Teresa - ghosts from Madeline's past
The sheriff - An evil man given one last chance to change his ways
Victoria - the ghostly FORMER mistress in the 1800s
Esther - a female ghost from the 1800s, hoping to reclaim what's rightfully hers
Sebastian - once a lover and friend of Victoria's but now a celestial being
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.