General Fiction posted May 16, 2024 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Madeline and Esther find common ground

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 21

by Begin Again


ENDING OF CHAPTER 20

Those few moments in the garden had touched Esther more than she had expected. She remembered the warmth two people could share, and now, in the cellar's dampness, feeling chilled to the bone, she longed to see Madeline again.

After much discussion of the pros and cons with herself, Esther decided to seek out Madeline's room. One of the friendlier occupants of her domain had spoken of Noah's wife, gossiping that she'd returned to the mansion and occupied the room at the rear of the mansion — alone. Esther also suspected the gossip about prostitutes terrorizing the widow included Madeline, as well.

As she moved through the corridors, an angry voice halted her progress. Fearful of approaching, she stood in the darkness, out of view, as the man banged on the door, demanding entrance. She thought it odd that he didn't just slip through the walls if he wanted to gain entrance so much. The fiery red glow from his eyes told her to steer clear until he left. In the bowels of the mansion, one learned it was better never to interfere in something that didn't pertain to you.

Billy slammed his fist against the door, regretting his promise to his grandfather to respect Victoria's privacy and his when they were in their quarters. When it was apparent no one would answer, he slumped against the wall, moaning, "Grandfather, where are you? Has that woman put you into jeopardy, or worse yet, have you been damned?"

Esther did not know who Billy was seeking, but she felt a pang of sorrow for him — another unexpected show of emotion in this dreary place. Esther clutched her shawl tighter around her shoulders, amazed that her cold, defeated heart felt warmth, not once but twice in a matter of a few hours.

Inside the room, Victoria cowered, praying Billy would leave and she would not have to explain William's disappearance.

*****


CHAPTER 21

Esther lingered at the top of the landing, gazing into the inner sanctum of the mansion where the mortals lived — her ghostly form tingled with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. The gardens had always been her refuge, a place of solitude from all the constant whispering and moaning in the lower section of the house, not imagining that it could be so quiet within the mansion walls.

She extended her hand, letting her ethereal fingers caress the sunlight streaming through the windowpanes. The warmth felt like a distant memory, a sensation she had long forgotten in the confines of purgatory. A soft sigh escaped her translucent lips. At that moment, Esther felt a longing, a deep yearning for something she couldn't quite name but knew she wanted to rediscover.
 
*****

Once again, feeling threatened by the others, Madeline returned to her room and saw the shadow of a woman standing near the far stairway. She seemed so childlike as her fingers fluttered in and out of the sun's rays, reminding Madeline of butterflies in flight.

She moved closer and then recognized the woman from the garden. "Esther? Is that you?"

Startled, Esther's glow faded, almost disappearing into the shadows. She dropped her hand and spun around to face the voice. Her bodily glow brightened, and she felt the warmth wash over her. A smile, a rare sight on her ghostly face, formed as she nodded in recognition.

Esther hesitated to speak, having been shunned by most throughout her life, including in purgatory, the confidence she'd found in the garden was lacking inside the mansion confines.

"Were you looking for me?" Madeline smiled and extended her arm toward Esther. "Don't be shy. You're welcome in my room. I could use a good friend."

Esther's smile returned, and she glided across the wooden floorboards toward Madeline.

Once inside the bedroom, the sadness left Esther's dark eyes replaced by a soft glow as she moved around the room, admiring the worldly pieces. Even in her past life, she'd never possessed such finery. Her fingers touched the red silk peignoir, then moved to one of Madeline's blue silk shirts and a scarf of many colors. Her eyes widened in amazement as she took in all the fine pieces adorning Madeline's room, the vibrant colors a stark contrast to the gray, muted hues of her own personal dwelling. Her body shimmered as she faced Madeline. "Forgive me for being so forward as to touch your personal effects. They're so soft and beautiful, something I've never known."

Madeline picked up the scarf and handed it to Esther. "Here. Take this."

Esther's eyes widened in surprise, then she turned away, dropping her eyes. "I wasn't asking — I didn't expect—"

"I didn't think you were." Madeline smiled, not sure whether she could touch Esther's ghostly being. "It's a gift. A thank you for your kindness, something I don't get much of these days." She held out the scarf again. "I want you to have it. I have many more."

Flustered, Esther's translucent fingers trembled as she accepted the gift. She murmured, "Thank you."

Madeline reached out to hug Esther, her fingers passing through the ghostly form. She shivered at the sensation of coolness and warmth, like a gentle breeze on a sunny day.

A little embarrassed, she backed away, moving toward the windows. "Come. Let's sit in the sunlight near the window. The housekeeper —" She stopped midsentence to question, "Do you know Lorrie?"

Esther shook her head. Though she had seen the housekeeper in the gardens, she often wondered how an ethereal being like herself lived amongst the mortals, even commanding respect. Yet, she'd never found the courage to approach.

Madeline continued talking as she poured the tea. "It's no matter, I was just wondering. Anyhow, Lorrie leaves tea and pastries every afternoon."

"That's thoughtful of her. Is she — your — friend?"

Madeline chuckled, wondering herself if Lorrie was a friend or foe. She handed the tea to Esther. The woman stared at the cup, feeling the warmth generated from it but not raising it to her lips. "Is something wrong? Don't you like tea? I can get you something else if you prefer." Madeline felt foolish, having assumed her new friend would enjoy the simple things that she did.

Esther sat the cup on the side table, pressing her thin lips together, before staring into Madeline's eyes. "I — I've never —been — where the mortals dwell." She let her eyes wander around the room before returning to Madeline's bewildered look. "Nor have I — taken nourishment from their offerings."

Madeline scowled, confused by Esther's remarks. "You don't eat or drink?"

Esther giggled. "We do, but except for materializing in the garden with you, I'm not aware of what I can and cannot do when not in my own space."

Madeline's eyes lit up as she smiled at Esther's awkwardness. "Wait a minute." She hurried toward a linen closet, retrieving a hand towel, then returned to Esther's side, placing the towel on her lap.

"A towel?" Esther didn't understand what she was to do with it.

"Don't you see? It's an adventure for both of us." Madeline grinned.

Esther's eyes looked doubtful. "An adventure?"

Madeline felt giddy, like a young girl for the first time in years. "We're entering different worlds — together — learning new things — like the tea. You try to drink from the cup. If it spills or you have problems, we have the towel to clean the mess. You won't know what you can do in my world until you try."

Esther smiled and picked up the cup of tea, raising it to her mouth. Tentatively, she pressed it to her lips but didn't drink.

Madeline sipped her tea and then leaned close to her new friend. "Come on. You can do it."

Esther nodded and then took a tiny sip, followed by another. Her eyes glimmered with unshed tears as she experienced the warm liquid run down her throat. "Oh, Madeline!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with wonder and gratitude. She took another sip and then sat the cup on the table. Tears welled in the pools of her eyes. "I'd forgotten how a simple thing could bring so much pleasure."

After sipping tea and chatting about simple things, Madeline felt a strange kinship to her new friend. She didn't find herself thinking about ghostly things. Instead, she wanted to share pieces of her life story, hoping to build a stronger bond.

She gazed longingly out the window, praying her past would not frighten Esther or make her want to shun their relationship. Still, something unfamiliar inside her urged her to be open with this new friend. She was tired of hiding secrets from others.

"Is something wrong, Madeline? You've grown quiet." Esther sipped her tea, set her cup down, and stood. "Maybe I have overstayed my welcome. I'm sorry." Her eyes had regained their sadness.

"No, Esther. It's nothing like that. I want you to stay." Madeline waved toward the chairs. "Can we sit and talk some more?"

Esther's glow began to return as she joined Madeline in the sunlight. "There's nothing better I would like to do. I'd forgotten about cozy chats and laughter. You've given me a special gift."

Madeline nodded and shared a smile before deciding to tell Esther about her past. "I don't want you to think less of me, but I haven't always lived in this mansion. Before I came here with my husband, Noah, I was —" she hesitated, for the first time ashamed of her past. Biting her lip, she took a deep breath and let it escape slowly. "I don't know how to put this without offending your senses, but I was a prostitute."

Madeline's eyes widened in fear as Esther's body faded, leaving a cold breeze in her place. "Oh, Esther, I'm sorry I offended you. Please come back." Frantic, wondering where she had disappeared and if she was gone for good, Madeline paced back and forth, begging, "Please come back."

It seemed like forever to Madeline, but in reality, it was only moments before Esther's form began to return. Madeline's eyes brimmed with tears as she whispered, "Thank you."

To Madeline's relief, Esther's figure quivered and shook before finally materializing. Shaken by what had happened, she slumped into the chair she'd been occupying and took several deep breaths.

Madeline knelt beside the chair, frightened for herself and her friend. "Are you alright? What happened to you?"

Esther straightened her dress, patting her body and face before a chuckle escaped her lips. Madeline jumped at the unexpected sound and stood up, staring at the woman. Finally, convinced that she'd returned intact, she grinned. "You didn't offend me, dear Madeline. And you certainly didn't do anything to me." She inhaled, closed her eyes, and then exhaled slowly. "A dark moment from my past life grabbed hold of me, and I was yanked backward in time, but only for a brief moment. I believe it had something to do with appearing as a mortal, but since it's a first, I'm not sure what to make of it."

"Was it something I said?" Madeline had never felt so mortified in her life, fearing she'd done harm to Esther.

"Maybe indirectly, but it's nothing you could have known." Esther sighed and then cast a soft gaze at Madeline. "After I lost my one love, I sank into depression, not caring about life, just taking what was there to claim."

Madeline's eyes widened. "You were a thief? A bandit?"

"In a manner of speaking. I stole other women's happiness by taking their husbands, using them until they had nothing else to give, and then moving on to another." Her voice faltered, and the room cooled as she regretfully said, "You see, dear, I, too, was a prostitute."

The room was quiet except for the breath of the two women. They stared at each other before erupting into a roar of raucous laughter. Two peas in a pod!




Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker
Benny Gonzales - The Hitman
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Tim - The Familiar Stranger
Kitty, Maggie, Frank, Teresa - ghosts from Madeline's past
The sheriff - An evil man given one last chance to change his ways
Victoria - the ghostly FORMER mistress in the 1800s
Esther - a female ghost from the 1800s, hoping to reclaim what's rightfully hers
Sebastian - once a lover and friend of Victoria's
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.