General Fiction posted April 29, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Love isn't just a thought, share it

Another Day

by Begin Again


In 2045, the elderly care home reflected cutting-edge advancements in technology and healthcare. Digital artwork adorned the walls, changing periodically and creating an engaging environment. Automated carts glided silently along the corridors, delivering meals, medications, and supplies to individual rooms.  

Each resident's room was a comfortable blend of modern design and personalized touches. Smart sensors adjusted the lighting and temperature according to the resident's preferences, while voice-activated assistants responded to commands. The windows featured reality panels that simulate outdoor scenes, allowing residents to experience nature from the comfort of their rooms. 

Framed photographs lined the dresser and the windowsill in Carol's room. Carol had often shared the stories about them with her caretaker, whom she addressed as Friend. He understood her loneliness and her longing for her loved ones. Without fail, every day, he waited patiently for her to greet the morning and him as well.  

A loud "pop" filled the room as Carol stretched and opened her eyes. She rubbed her legs and moaned, "These old bones."   

It was 7 A.M., but the room was dark and dreary. Her mechanical caretaker sensed her movement and glided soundlessly to the side of the bed. "Good morning, Miss Carol. Did you sleep well?" he asked in a soothing tone. 

She chuckled and shook her head. "Friend, I wish a can of oil and a tune-up could ease these aches, but at 97, I am thankful I still can move." Friend's robotic arms gently lifted her legs and helped her sit on the side of the bed. She smiled. "You're always so helpful."  

"You are a sweet lady and deserve help. I will always do what I can for you. My mechanical heart purrs when I see you smile, and my temperature gauge rises with your laughter. I may be a machine, but I enjoy those responses, especially from you."  

"You, my friend, are nicer than my children or grandchildren. I'm lucky to have you." Carol glanced around the room. "Why is it so dark and gloomy? Is it raining again?"  

"Oh, no, Miss Carol. You requested a storm last night so you could sleep better." Friend turned toward the window and spoke, "Give us sunshine, flowers blowing in the breeze, and chirping birds." A warm, amber glow filled the room. It was a gorgeous day outside the window.  

Carol smiled. "Thank you, Friend. That is a much prettier sight." She sighed. "I'd love to share it with my family."  

Before Carol could say anything else, Friend pressed a button on the side panel. Her eyes widened in surprise as voices filled the room, and the screen in front of her lit up.  

She sputtered, "I didn't mean to bother —." 

Friend whispered with a hint of amusement, "Nonsense, Miss Carol. Your family should be delighted to see you." 

Carol fixed her gaze on the holographic display, which showed a split screen of their bedrooms and homes. Animated avatars laughed and chatted, playing video games and discussing boyfriends. On the other screens, her children were preparing to rush to work.  

Carol heaved a sigh and closed her eyes. "My grandchildren must be asleep and sent the avatars in their place. And my children are too busy with their lives to worry about me. It's been months since any of them have visited."  

Friend could sense her sadness and pressed the button again, causing the holograph to vanish. "I'm sorry, Miss Carol. I only wanted to remind you that you are still remembered and loved." 

"I wish you were right." Staring at the blank screen, she whispered, "I miss them." A solitary tear trickled down her wrinkled cheek. 

"After breakfast, I will take you to the garden. You always find peace along the riverbank."  

Carol nodded her consent, but her eyes reflected nothing but sadness. 

***** 

As promised, Friend brought her to her favorite spot in the garden. The sensory pathways, therapeutic plants, and social gathering spots were nice, but she preferred the peaceful solitude. It was here that she remembered happier moments. 

Sensing Carol's pain and sadness, Friend surprised her; a new gadget he was positive would make her smile, and his mechanical heart would purr again. 

"Miss Carol, I have a surprise." 

Carol's mind had drifted to a happier time, yet tears trickled down her face. Friend hadn't dealt with so much sadness, and his gears choked and sputtered, unsure if he could make her smile again. Then he remembered the surprise. 

"Miss Carol, you have a visitor." He held a box and typed a word, giving the machine a command. A holographic figure appeared and knelt beside Friend's patient. She bore a striking resemblance to Carol, and her radiant smile mirrored the one he wanted to return to Carol's face. 

"Hello, Carol. How can you shed tears in this gorgeous setting?" 

Carol's head jerked upward, brushing the tears from her weary eyes. "Mom? It can't be." 

Friend's hand touched Carol's shoulder, whispering, "It's your surprise. She can visit for a short time." He saw the smile on her face and moved away. The figure moved closer, and the two women hugged, their bodies merging before separating. 

Carol stammered, "I miss you and the talks we shared." 

"I know, sweet girl." 

"I feel so alone, except for Friend, of course." 

"I'm always by your side. We all are watching over you." 

Carol's mom tried to reassure her daughter that she would never be alone. "Someday, they'll understand and regret the times they missed with you. It will leave an emptiness they won't ever be able to fill, but that's not your fault. They need to learn about love and respect on their own." 

"I tried —" 

"It's all any of us can do, my darling. You gave of yourself, and they took all they could, and sadly, they thought you would do it forever." 

"I would have if I could. You know I would, right?"

"Yes, I do, but that's love on a one-way street. Unfortunately, they will have to experience the loss before they will understand. Only then will they truly understand how much you loved them." 

"I'm grateful you understood how much I loved you, Mom." 

"And I, too, am thankful for our love."  

"Tell me about heaven," Carol asked, her eyes filled with curiosity. 

Her mother's holographic form shimmered with a soft glow, emitting a comforting warmth. "Heaven is a place of eternal peace and love, where all your pain and worries disappear," she said tenderly. "You will be reunited with your loved ones and find true happiness." 

As they talked, a sense of peace settled over them. The boundaries between reality and the afterlife blurred, allowing them to exist in harmony briefly. 

"I've got to go now, but know that my love will always be in your heart." 

Carol smiled and whispered, "I love you, Mom." They shared a last embrace before the holographic figure faded away. 

Her mind wandered to her deceased four-year-old son. Was it possible to see him again? She held her breath, pressed the button, and waited. 

Tears welled up in her eyes as he materialized in front of her.  

"Mommy, I've missed you," her son said softly, his innocent eyes filled with love. 

"Is it beautiful there?" Carol asked, her voice trembling with emotion. He nodded, and she hugged him tightly, whispering, "I love you, and I will forever and ever." 

"I know, Mommy. And they love you too, but they need to remember how important it is to show it. Their hearts will remember when you are gone." 

"My, my, you are quite the smart young man." Carol chuckled, wiping away her tears. "I wish you were here with me, always." 

His eyes twinkled as he smiled. "I'm sorry I made you cry when I left, but God had plans for me. I have never stopped loving you; we will be together again someday. God told me so." 

They spent precious moments together, sharing memories and laughter before her son said goodbye and faded into the clouds. 

As the sun set, Carol held the box close and stared at the button that would bring her husband to her side. She cherished her mom's and Michael's visits, but she wondered if she could bear seeing him and then letting him go. 

Her heart ached for his smile, the sound of his laughter, and the touch of his hand. The chance of seeing him one more time was too much to resist. With trembling hands, she pressed the button. 

"Hello, gorgeous," his familiar voice said as he held her hand. "I've missed you." 

Tears streamed down Carol's face as she looked into his eyes, and a rush of emotions flooded her senses. The sight of his familiar face and the warmth in his eyes filled her with a sense of peace and yearning.

They held hands, talking about their life together and their shared memories. Carol felt a bittersweet mixture of happiness and longing, knowing that this moment was fleeting yet precious.  

Soon, he whispered, "I love you and always will." His lips brushed hers as his figure blended into the darkness. 

"I'll see you again someday," she whispered, feeling his presence linger even after the holographic image faded. For now, her heart was whole, filled with love.

*****

Friend gently guided her back to her room, tucking her into bed with a gentle touch. 

In the quiet stillness of the night, Carol's heart was full of gratitude for the technology that had brought her closer to her departed family. In a world where machines now cared for the elderly, she had connected with the ones she loved most, even in the afterlife. 

She knew she was not alone. The love and light of her departed loved ones surrounded her, their presence comforting her in the twilight hours of her life. 

She murmured, "Thank you, Friend, for giving me the greatest gift ever." 

She drifted off to sleep, smiling, knowing that her loved ones were watching over her from the beyond. 

Friend's heart was purring, and his temperature gauge was high. His hand touched Carol's arm as he spoke. "Rest easy, sweet lady. You will be with them soon."  

He nodded to all the heavenly bodies gathered around Carol's bed, whispered a soft goodbye, and slipped from her room one last time. 




Recognized


I originally started this story to enter it in the contests about 2045, but the story grew a life of its own and would not fit within the word count required for the contest. I couldn't bear to slice it apart, so I am just posting it as a story to enjoy. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.