General Fiction posted April 24, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Wendigo Meets The Sunshine Boys

A chapter in the book Stray Goat On A Risky Hill

Stray Goat On A Risky Hill-ch. 4

by jim vecchio


Characters:
Oliver Wendigo, known as Cowboy, who is gifted with visions, not of his own control, It was revealed his visions are often mingled with one or more past and/or future visions in the background.
Police Detective, Art Geiger, who previously worked with Wendigo on a case.
Sergeant Edward Mars
Anna Karena, whose persona is Karenina, a news reporter venturing into news investigation; old friend of Wendigo.
LAST TIME: Geiger, Wendigo, and Karenina visited old WNAB employee Ray Curtis, who filled them in on a tune Wendigo heard with his visions.
"Does it have a name?" asked Karenina.
"Swing High," said Curtis.
"Great Scorched Cats!" screamed Geiger, "Are we supposed to check all the children's swing sets across the city?"

"No," said Wendigo. "I don't think that's it."
"Then what, Cowboy?"
"I don't know. It's just a ...a kind of sense..."
"Your hunches have paid off so far."
"That's just it. Swing sets...don't give me any special feelings!"
"Well, for the sake of a child's life, I'll try to heighten surveillance around playgrounds. Well, I've got a job to do, and this is only part of it..."
"We'll let you know if..."
"You'll bet you'll let me know! You two are dealing yourselves into a deadly game. Take no risks!"
As Geiger left, Wendigo and Anna said their goodbyes to Curtis.

Anna invited Wendigo into her car.
"Nice to be working with you again, Anna."
"Yeah, Ollie. Too bad we just can't enjoy one another's company without someone's dire fate hanging in the balance."
"No one says we can't. We've no new leads for the moment. How about some coffee?"
"Sounds great to me. But, let's enjoy it at the Radio station. I'll take you on the ten- cent tour!"
Bridgeport's most popular radio station was a mere brick rectangle in the midst of a rapidly eroding neighborhood.
Anna took her reserved spot and the two walked inside.

They entered an interior door and Wendigo began his tour of the premises.
"I'll give you the "Everything You Wanted To Know tour," Anna laughed.
"Now, let's see...this is the microphone, this is the microphone arm, these over here are playout and automation software, here are the studio monitor speaker's, the cue speakers, headphones, on air light, which is on which means "ssshhhh", the button panel, our phone talkback system, intercom, CD players, mini disc players, turn tables..."
When they stepped out into a hall, Wendigo asked, "Do you still report news from here?"
"I do the morning news, some voice-overs, then report to the TV station. From there, as you know, I'm trying to break into investigative reporting."

She continued her tour in the next room.
"This is the Generator, and this is the coffee machine. How do you like yours?"
"With you!"
"Now, that's something I expect Alex to say. Good thing he's doing copy now or he'd be mighty jealous!"
"Aw, you know he has nothing to fear from an old man like me! I've had my chance with romance, and..."
Anna's head lowered for a moment. "...I know..."

"So, what's up that stairway over there?"
"Come, I'll show you. I think you'll get a kick out of it!"
Even before they reached the upper door, raucous laughter seemed to emanate through the cracks.
Opening, Anna said, "Meet Matt and Maury, The Sunshine Boys. Matt Turner and Maury Ramos. They're internists at the station."
As they entered, Maury lowered the volume.
"I can't stop laughing! Sorry."
"I'll explain," said Anna. "We discovered a whole slew of recordings from this station's golden age, and these guys meet every Wednesday, listen to, and attempt to categorize them. "
Anna directed her gaze to the two. "So, what is it this time?"
"We discovered a recording of William Bendix in The Life Of Riley. The radio version."
Still tittering, Matt said, "Tell them what Riley said."
Hardly able to contain his laughter, Maury responded, "He said...well, he misquoted Shakespeare and said, He who steals my purse, steals cash, but he who steals my brain, steals trash!
"I guess you had to be there," said Anna. "Well, you and I both have things to do.'
"Come back soon," the boys said politely, between laughs.
"I've got to get to my other studio now," said Anna. "Can we combine our investigation again tomorrow?"
"My pleasure," replied Wendigo. I need someone who's got a head on her shoulders to bounce any ideas off!"
As Wendigo walked out into the city, something tingled inside him, intrigued him about Matt and Maury.

 



Recognized


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jim vecchio All rights reserved.
jim vecchio has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.