Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted April 16, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The irony of gifts.

A Fable

by Loren .


Once upon a time, lived a man known for his fairness and judgment. His name was Jebediah.  Jebediah was poor.  He owned land, but it was barren and desired by no one; and, because of this, Jebediah lived in peace.

 One day, a seed merchant dressed in fine, colorful silk came to his door.  He was attended by a hooded man, holding a bulging sack cloth.

 Jebediah welcomed them, telling the merchant his land was infertile and could never produce crops of any value. “As you can see, I have no need for seeds,” he pointed outward, “only gnarled trees grow here.”

 “My seeds will produce much in such a wasteland, my friend,” the merchant replied. “But its crop will not be for eating, but to be woven into cloth.” He continued. “I hear from the neighboring kingdoms that you are considered a wise man, much sought after for your keen judgement.”

 Jebediah nodded.  “It is a gift from God, not of myself. But I am often deceived by those that come before me.”

 “This cloth that you will reap - once made into a robe and worn by you - will give you even greater discernment than you have now. It will be as if you can see into the hearts of other men.”

 “How is this to be?”  Jebediah asked. “How am I able to grow such a wonderful thing?”

 “As the crop begins to break through the soil, burn the sap of your gnarled trees as incense over your land. It will have the fragrance of myrrh and frankincense and their essence will permeate into the yield.  From there, boil the harvest in this vial of oil I provide, and weave it into a robe meant for a man of your standing.”

 Intrigued, Jebediah asked, “And how much are you asking for this wonderful seed?”

 The merchant shrugged.  “For you, it will cost you nothing as there is so little justice in this world.” He bowed and his aide laid the seed by Jebediah’s feet as they left.

 A covered carriage, drawn by two black horses awaited them. A driver, sat in attention as they approached.  The merchant nodded to the driver as they entered the transport.

 “Master,” the hooded aid said, sitting across from him.  “I do not understand this gesture. “Why give a gift of such discernment to a man so hated by our Patriarch?

The merchant laughed. The foul smell of sulfur escaping his mouth. “You have much to learn, novice. “This gift will soon become a curse and ultimately destroy this man and those who trust him.”  He smiled. “And this will be counted as a great victory for our cause.”

 The aide pushed back his hood and cocked his head. “How so, Master?

 “Because, the goodness he thought dwelt in the human heart, the truth he so believed could be found there, will be empty but for our delicious banquet of depravity and deceit.  He will see in it in his own heart as well and soon lose hope.” He shrugged.  “And then his feeble mind will ask - for what purpose to try.  He will give up looking for truth. Yes, a true victory for us.”

 He looked out on the barren landscape.  “And this land, now fallow, will become the envy of his neighbors for its incense and pretense of judicial robes.” He shook his head, laughing again. “No, novice, this man will never again know peace.”

Jebediah watched as the seed merchant departed.  He glanced at the bag of seeds and his infertile field. As a man of discernment, he understood the merchant's heart, knowing it was not so different from his own.  He took the seeds and threw them into the fallow soil where they would remain as an ever present temptation, but die from lack of attendance.





As you know, a fable is meant to teach a lesson or have a moral. This is one regarding the human heart, which no one can truly understand. Thank you for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by iPhone7 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Loren . All rights reserved.
Loren . has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.