Self Improvement Fiction posted April 15, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a woman navigates an unsustainable schedule

Burnout

by JP_Ryan


That morning I awoke with an uneasy sense of urgency in the pit of my stomach.  Working from home, I had back-to-back meetings,  my husband was on a work trip, and I was flying solo with the kids. 

I knew, if I did not make the most of every second, I would find myself working late into the evening to catch up.

I roused the children, made their lunch, and fed them breakfast before dropping them off at school.

On the way back I noted I was racked with anxiety, my tummy was churning, my shoulders stiff with tension, my head ached, it wasn’t even nine o’clock yet.

I pulled over,  my heart pounding in my ears, and a sense of impending doom saturated my being.  My legs were weak and shaking as I began pacing along the hard shoulder, diligently trying to ignore the restrictive tightness in my chest while I sucked as much air into my lungs as possible.

I sat back in my car, took my phone in my hand, and typed a text message to my boss. “I need a mental health day,  see you tomorrow.”

Suddenly, my schedule was free. Now! to call my doctor.




200 Word Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story on any topic. 200 Words Exactly! Title not included in count.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. JP_Ryan All rights reserved.
JP_Ryan has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.