Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 14, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A couple search for justice.

Their Last Hope

by JP_Ryan


The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

“Hush!” Hissed Linda. “I said close the door, not slam it"

Billy glanced at her apologetically before returning his focus to searching through filing cabinets, sweat glistened on his forehead in the moonlight, and he was grateful for the cooling night breeze wafting through the open window.

He reminded himself what they were looking for as he scanned the pages. "Original study - PFAS - forever chemicals."

“Got it!” Linda's eyes were wide with excitement. She spread the folder on the desk, hastily photographing document after document.

“Does it help us?” asked Billy.  

“Yes, we have them!” Linda blinked away the tears.  Even at a glance, she could see some findings hadn't made the published version. 

"Billy, help me, there are so many pages" 

"Listen" Linda's head was cocked towards the door, tension etched on her face

A symphony of purposeful footsteps growing ever closer sounded the guard's approach. A two-way radio crackled, and a muffled voice followed. 

“Time to go.” Linda rolled up the study, stuffing it inside her jacket,  as she zipped it up she was already making her way to the open ground-floor window, with one fluid movement she was through it and already running into the cover of the night. 

Billy knew how important this study was,  he too was willing to do whatever it took to get justice for those who had suffered at the hands of this 'too big to fail' corporation.   He quickly closed the filing cabinet and scanned the room to ensure they hadn't left anything behind, before following Linda through the window, closing it behind him.  

Once clear of the office compound and safely back in their car Linda and Billy smiled at each other, grateful for a successful mission, tears filled their eyes.  Hope filled their hearts.  Hope that justice had been given the chance to prevail. 




The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.


I had in mind, a story of a couple seeking to bring a large corporation to justice. They are searching for evidence that helps them prove wrongdoing
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. JP_Ryan All rights reserved.
JP_Ryan has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.