General Non-Fiction posted April 2, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Time of my life when I was wandering far from God.

Caught in Adultery

by Esther Brown

Chapter from my Memoirs

Knight and I spent much of our time together in parks making out in the car. That is a teenager thing, not something 40 something people are supposed to do. Not something either of us “should” have been doing. It is called adultery. We both believed in Jesus and knew the commandment “Thou shalt not commit adultery”.

One time we were “caught” by one of the church people who had taken his son fishing. He walked by the car and recognized us. Knight saw him. I did not. I cannot justify it, excuse it or make it go away and pretend I never sinned in that particular way. 

I know now exactly how the woman caught in adultery in the Bible felt. She was grabbed by the men (religious leaders) who dragged her to Jesus. I can imagine her terror. The law said she deserved death by stoning. Trembling, possibly naked and deeply shamed, she stared at the ground. She had no one to support her. The disciples were there. The crowds following Jesus were there. Every single eye on her in judgment. No lies could save her. No one asked her to explain her side of the story. Jesus, the traveling rabbi everyone was talking about was speaking to the crowd, and the religious leaders interuupted Him. Pushed her forward to the front and center stage.

I am sure she thought of her husband, her children, and if I had been her I would rather have died than face my family. Her lover was not mentioned, so he escaped. 

Jesus drew in the sand, ignoring them. He knew the religious leaders wanted to trap him. He had already healed a woman from her evil spirits. He spent time with “wine bibbers” and tax collectors. He disobeyed the religious law by healing on the Sabbath. The religious leaders wanted to stone her to death. They wanted to prove how righteous they were.  By killing her. Jesus wanted to give her life. Jesus still did not answer, and continued to draw in the sand. Finally He looked directly at the religious leaders and told them; “Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone”. 

The older men started to drop their stones and leave one by one. Soon only Jesus and the woman were standing there. Jesus looked into her eyes with love and compassion. 

“What, does no one condemn you?”

“No Lord. They have all gone.”

“Then I do not condemn you either. Go and sin no more”. 

She was forgiven. Given a second chance because of Jesus. Given life instead of being stoned. The consequences of sin are death, but the gift of God is eternal life. 



 




If you are reading my life story this one is before "My Knight" which I will post next.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Esther Brown All rights reserved.
Esther Brown has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.