Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 27, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sandra goes to the mansion

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 4

by Begin Again


ENDING OF CHAPTER 3

As she stepped out into the street, a sharp gust of wind whipped at her hair and clothes, but she barely registered the chill. The sun was gone, and so was her carefree mood. She couldn't stop thinking about the Judge and the strange events of the past few days that had turned her world upside down. She hurried across the street to buy the promised cannoli for Annie while a whirlwind of thoughts swirled inside her head. She could feel her heart pounding with a mix of excitement and apprehension.

With the promised purchase in hand, Sandra headed for her office building. Something, a noise, made her stop and turn back toward the Judge's building.

Were those footsteps?

She didn't see anyone, but she quickened her steps until she neared her office. She had inherited a mansion from a stranger, a man she had never met, and his wife had accused her of being his mistress. And now, on top of it all, she had discovered that she had spoken to a man who supposedly was dead. It was a mystery that demanded to be solved, and Sandra was determined to do just that.
*****

CHAPTER 4

Breathless, Sandra rushed into her office with Annie trailing behind her. "Slow down." Annie glanced at the door Sandra had rushed through seconds ago. "Sandra, what's wrong? You look a mess. What happened with the Judge?"

"Close the door, Annie. And lower your voice." Sandra collapsed into her office chair, trying to catch her breath. "I guess I didn't realize I was running."

Annie shut the door before asking, "Were you at the Judge's office all this time? Les asked if you'd left already. Something about sending one of the guys with you."

Sandra leaned across her desk, whispering, "No one's going with me, especially those guys. What did you tell him?"

"I said you might have gone home to pack. It seemed to pacify him."

"Good job!" Sandra handed the box of cannoli to her assistant.

"Oh, goodie, I was afraid you might have forgotten."

"Grab a chair. We need to talk."

Annie recognized the excitement in Sandra. She slipped into a chair and started rattling off questions. "Did you find out the inheritance was a hoax? Or did the Judge give you a story about the guy who died?" Annie giggled. "I know that gleam in your eye, Sandra. There's a story brewing inside that head of yours. What happened?"

With a smug expression plastered across her face, Sandra whispered, "The Judge was murdered."

"Murdered!" Annie shouted and then immediately lowered her voice. "You just saw him three days ago. What happened?"

Sandra's Cheshire cat smile said it all, "He was murdered in his office — a year ago."

"A year ago?" Annie's jaw dropped open. But the letter and the guy you met? An imposter?" Annie could tell there was more. "I admit that's a story, but there's something else. What is it?"

Sandra pulled the dusty book out of her bag and handed it to Annie. "The Secret Life of Judge Parker." Annie gasped. "Where did you get this, Sandra?"

"In a secret compartment in the bookcase. Open it."

Annie opened the cover and scanned a few pages. "Sandra, he's a criminal. Not just a petty thief, but an honest-to-goodness criminal."

"Which one — the one murdered or the one in Willow Creek? Or both?"

"Girlfriend, this is B-I-G!" Annie squealed. "Are you going to tell Les?"

"No! It's my story. You know he'll give it to Jarrod or Paul. He never thinks I can handle the dangerous stuff."

"Aren't you scared, though? It sounds like organized crime or at least some deep stuff. Men like that don't play nice. Admit it. Sandra, it's out of your league."

"Nobody knows I have the book except you. Let's keep it that way. If it looks too big, I'll let one of the guys in on it, but not until I give it a shot first. Agreed?"

"Agreed. So where do we begin?"

"In Willow Creek. Noah Wakefield left me the mansion for a reason. It's time to start unraveling the knots." She paused, thinking. "I'm just going to tell Les I'm taking a vacation to decide whether to keep the mansion or not."

"I'll see what I can find out about the murder. It had to make headlines, or it should have anyway. Strange that neither of us remembers hearing anything about a judge being murdered."

"This whole thing is strange, Annie. Remember to stay under the radar. I don't want Les or anyone getting wind of it, okay?"

"Okay!" Annie sunk her teeth into a cannoli and smiled. "You might owe me a few more of these by the time we are done."

"You got it! But now, I've got to go home and pack. It's a long drive to Willow Creek."

*****

The trip had given Sandra time to sort through her thoughts, but she was relieved when she entered the town of Willow Creek. She drove by the small shops, noting Petunia's Coffee Shop and the Grab It and Go Diner. On the edge of town, she recognized the iron gates marking the entrance to the cemetery. She turned in and stopped the car just inside the entrance. It was afternoon, but the cemetery no longer looked inviting.

An icy finger strummed her spine, and she shivered. Shaking her head, she changed her mind, put the car in reverse, and continued her journey toward the mansion.

Not today. Noah Wakefield. You've opened a can of worms. Was that your intention? But why me?

She was amazed to see Lorrie standing on the front porch, waving at her, as she entered the driveway.

How did she know I was coming?

As Sandra got out of her car, Lorrie scurried down the steps to greet her. She engulfed her in a warm embrace with genuine excitement. "You came! James and I feared you might not return after discovering about the Judge and all."

Sandra stepped back and stared at the housekeeper. "You know — about the Judge?" She felt the same foreboding feeling in her stomach again. "How did — was someone following me?"

Lorrie's hand flew to her mouth. "There, I've done it again. Rattling on." She grabbed Sandra's arm, squeezed it, and tugged her toward the house. "Never mind about an old lady and her babble. I'm preparing a dinner fit for a king, and of course, you'll want to see your new home."
 
The housekeeper sensed Sandra's hesitance and offered a warm, grandmotherly smile. "Come inside. We have a lot to talk about." Lorrie led her through the front door and into a cozy living room. "James will be joining us for a cup of tea. Make yourself at home, and I'll let him know you've arrived." She hurried from the room, stopping to adjust a crooked lampshade, before disappearing into the kitchen.

Sandra looked around the living room, admiring the plush furniture and warm decor. Though her thoughts of the Judge haunted her, Lorrie's cheerful demeanor, however strange at times, eased her anxiety.

As she sat on the couch, James entered the room with a friendly smile. "Sandra, it's so good to see you again. Lorrie told me you were coming for dinner." His eyes twinkled with mischief. "Lorrie has tea and goodies prepared in the dining room. Come before it gets cold. She's a dear but runs a tight kitchen."

"James, how did Lorrie know when I was arriving or if I was even going to visit?"

He shrugged. "Lorrie has her ways, I guess. Some kind of intuition, she says."

"But she knows about the Judge —"

His smile disappeared, replaced by a frown. "The Judge?" He glanced toward the kitchen and scowled. "I'll need to talk with the woman. She forgets her place at times." He paused. "What exactly did she say about him?"

"Don't be mad at her. She was excited to see me and said something about me not returning because I'd found out about the Judge."

"Hmmm. Interesting. And what did you find out about the Judge?"

Sandra felt her throat tighten as she gazed at James.

Do I tell him or wait to see what he says? No, I'm supposed to be a reporter, right? So, I'm not backing away from this. Besides, something tells me he probably already knows.

Sandra squared her shoulders and began, "I found the office address on the envelope and visited him since I was still debating about the inheritance. When I got to his office, or what was his office, a cleaning lady told me the judge had died — a year ago. Shot through the heart." Sandra ran her fingers across the fireplace mantle, steadying herself. "Who is the man you introduced me to if someone murdered Judge Parker?"

James looked uneasy but was reluctant to offer an answer. "In time, my dear. I promise you'll understand — in time."

"What are you hiding from me?" Sandra pressed. "Did Noah Wakefield know about the imposter? Are you in trouble, and those men are holding you hostage?"

James replied, "I don't think Noah knew anything about Judge Parker. He was a simple man who left everything unknown to others."

Sandra stared at James. "Did you know about the imposter? And what about the book?"

"Oh, dear me —" Lorrie rubbed her hands on her apron, looking frightened. "James, she found the book!"

"It's not your concern, Lorrie" James flashed her a dark look and then instantly changed his demeanor. "Is the tea ready? Our guest had a long trip and probably would like some refreshments."

Lorrie's expression betrayed her worry as she glanced at James, who seemed equally troubled, and then at Sandra. "James, we can't sweep this under the rug. She's found —"

James interrupted her with a heavy sigh. "I'm aware of the problem, Lorrie." He frowned, "Tea might settle everyone's nerves so we can discuss — things."

"Things?" Lorrie asked incredulously, her voice tinged with frustration. She shook her finger at James. "Ain't saying I told you so, but mind my word, this is going to be a mess if you're depending on those three." She spun around, calling James and Sandra. "Tea is waiting in the dining room."

James tried to hide his frustration, but he was obviously failing. Finally, he took Sandra's arm and weakly smiled. "Will you join me for tea?"

Sandra hesitated but, hoping for answers, responded. "Depends."

"On what?" James asked, his weary tone betraying his anxiety.

"Something is happening in this house, and I need - no, I deserve - to know what it is. How do you and Lorrie know about this book?" Sandra demanded, her voice betraying her suspicion.

"I'm not at liberty to tell you about the book right now, but I promise you'll learn the truth soon."

"Are the men you introduced me to at the cemetery involved?" Sandra probed further.

"Indirectly, I suppose," James replied. "Let's go to the dining room before Lorrie starts lecturing us again." Sandra followed James to the dining room, her curiosity piqued and her guard up. She could sense that something ominous was brewing, and she braced herself for what was to come.
 
You can't stop me from getting answers that easy, James! I smell a story, and it's a good one.



Recognized


Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker
Benny Gonzales - currently unemployed
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.