Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 27, 2024 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chief Charlie Wilson

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Redemption

by Douglas Goff

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
In the last chapter, Morgan thought he was going to jail. After learning he saved some important people, he was sent home.

Tamra and Morgan rose early to prepare for their day. They glanced at each other throughout breakfast, giggling and laughing.  

The smiling couple headed out at the same time. At their cars, Tamra gave him a long, tender kiss before she went to work and Morgan went to his apartment. 

Once there, he shaved and put on his dress police uniform. A quick glance in the mirror brought a grin to his face. There I am. Then he drove to the station. 

When Morgan arrived, Chief Wilson, Captain Howitz, Detective Hutch Keller, and IA Brian Anderson were seated in the conference room waiting for him. Both bosses wore their dress uniforms while Anderson wore a gray suit. Hutch, who wore slacks and a collared shirt, stared at his hands.  

“Are you clean?” The Chief  looked over the rim of his glasses after Morgan was seated. The man bore a stern look. “Off the booze and drugs?” 

“Yes.”

“Can you stay clean? Pass a piss test?”

“Yes.”  

“Good, Son, because Senator Kerns will be putting you in for the Law Enforcement Medal of Honor. That’s usually reserved for those killed in the line of duty. You’re a bonafide hero, so I’m sure it’ll be approved by the governor. The political ramifications around your rescue are huge. It’s making national news, just when the department needed it with all this anti-cop crap going around.”

“Hero, my ass.” Anderson scowled, unable to contain himself as he rose from his seat.  

Chief Wilson gave the IA officer a sharp look. “They found Paco Sanchez and his henchman dead last night, Officer Anderson. Is that right?”

“Well, yes, bu—-“

"What was in Sanchez’s mouth?” Chief Wilson cut him off. 

“One earring from each of the dead hookers.” Anderson whispered. “That doesn’t—-“

“Now, I’m not sure what that means, except whoever killed those scumbags also killed those women. Wouldn’t you agree, Officer Anderson?”

“Maybe, but—-“

Wilson continued to roll over Anderson’s objections. “What I do know is that Detective Harper was here in our custody until after midnight which means he couldn’t possibly be the killer. That’s why I made the decision to release him.”

Holy shit. What the hell is going on here? Paco’s dead and I’m cleared? Morgan was flabbergasted. 

“So, you’re no longer suspended, Detective Harper. In fact, you never were.” The Chief had turned back to him. 

“What? Are you crazy? That man was banging whores and using drugs. You can’t do this!” Anderson rose, knocking his chair backwards. “I won’t let you do this!”

“I can and I did. In fact, Officer Anderson, you’re no longer needed here. You’re excused. You can take take the rest of the day off to calm down.”

“Huh? He stole $30,000 from the evidence room. There’s no way you can bury that.” Anderson fumed. “No way!”

Chief Wilson signaled Captain Howitz who slid a piece of paper across the table. It was a back-dated form releasing $30,000 to Morgan for investigative purposes. “You mean the money Detective Harper signed out to pay informants to work his serial killer case?”

“Fuck that!” The angry IA Officer’s face turned red as he leapt at Morgan. 

Hutch saw it coming and, jumping up, grabbed Anderson. He pushed the screaming man from the room. “This ain’t over, Morgan! Mark my words, I’m gonna bury you! Bury you!”

After the room settled, the Chief continued, “Here’s the story. You were deep undercover, Morgan, working the hooker murders. Only the three of us in this room knew about it. The $30,000 was to pay informants. The indictment, investigation, your arrest, and your trip south were all part of the cover. That’s why you were on the streets. Belzar has already been told you were deep undercover and I placed Tate on suspension for abusing prisoners. That’s the story. Only the three of us will ever know the truth. Understood?”

“Will my fellow officers buy that?” Morgan was skeptical. 

“They’ll buy whatever I tell them to, Son.” Chief Wilson grinned. “The potential political gain for this department is huge. We can’t squander this opportunity because of your bad judgement and poor behavior. Are we on the same page?”

“Yes, Sir.” Saved by politics? 

“No more screwups, Harper. Not one, or I’ll wait until this all blows over, and I’ll fire you quicker than you can say ‘civilian life sucks’. Also, Detective Hutch Keller will be the new lead on your prostitute case. You’ll be too busy doing interviews, smiling for the cameras, and collecting awards.”

“Fair enough, Chief.”

“Damn right it’s fair. I hope you understand what a lucky break you’ve been given. Somebody upstairs must’ve been watching out for you. It’s a miracle you didn’t end up in prison.”

“I know.” Morgan’s voice was hoarse. “No more nonsense. I’m not going to let you, or my new family down.”

“That’s exactly what we wanted to hear.” Wilson nodded at Howitz, who pulled out Morgan’s badge and unloaded Glock and pushed them across the table to the grateful man. 

“Welcome back, Morgan.” Captain Howitz smiled, then he and Wilson left the room. 

Hutch rose, his eyes on the table. “They told me to stay away from you.” 

“What?" Morgan frowned. "Who?”

“The day after we met in the bar. IA Officers came to the Homicide Office and  told me, actually everyone, to steer clear of you. They said they had you under surveillance. “

“Really? And you not only stayed away, but you didn’t warn me?” Dang, he’s my friend. “I thought we were tight.” 

Hutch rubbed his bald head. “We are, man. But I’m only a couple of years from retirement. I couldn’t afford to lose that by openly defying them.”

“You told me at the bar that you had my back.”

“I know I did, and I still had your back.”

“You did? By avoiding me?” Morgan was more than a little miffed. 

Hutch stepped in close, whispering, “Who do you think funneled the information to Tamra about the impending indictment and that IA was watching her apartment? I also kept an eye on the girl you put up in that apartment. Tried to keep her safe. Not to mention I got your message to Ted Norton that you needed to see him. It was the best I could do.”

Morgan sat quiet for a moment, thinking, then slowly rose. He did do right by me. 

“Are we good, Morgan?”

“Of course.” He leaned in and gave Hutch a tight hug. “Always.”  

Once Hutch departed, Morgan sat alone in the conference room, shaking his head in disbelief. How did this possibly work out? Oh my gosh, Belzar and the Chief were right. I got my miracle.  

The realization sent him to his knees. Thank you, God. I didn’t deserve this. 

He let out a long sigh. Substance abuse, prostitutes, assaults. I couldn’t see what a mess I was until I got away from all that crap. I should be dead now. I understand that You have given me a second chance. Your grace has given me redemption and healing. I won’t blow it.  

Morgan rose with a strong sense of joy. He knew he had been forgiven.

Character/Suspect List: 

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper.

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Captain Howitz - Morgan’s boss who runs the Homicide Unit. 

Ronny Tate - Street cop who can't stand Morgan.

Darrin Belzar - Religious by-the-book street cop. 

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter. 

Ted 'Teddy' Norton - Morgan's old academy training officer. 

Steve Vance - Vicki's husband.

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Hugo Chavez - Paco's thug/bodyguard.

Vicki Vance - An old friend of Morgan and Debra’s. Murdered in her bar by the killer. 

Beth Mackie - A murdered prostitute. 

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute.

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide.  





Time to guess who the killer is! And yes, there will be one more victim!

Only 3 chapters left. I very kindly eliminated Paco and Hugo as suspects for you! It is time to make your guesses. The killer is one of the 11 people listed below. Who do ya think?

Morgan Harper all along?
Kelly the reformed hooker?
Tamra the pregnant lover?
Dr. Millicent Parker the motherly shrink?
Anderson the jealous IA Officer?
Captain Howitz the disappointed boss?
Hutch the detached partner?
Tate the angry suspended cop?
Belzar the religious cop?
Steve Vance the scorned husband?
Mac the nosy reporter?

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily, so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.