Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 26, 2024 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Things go bad for Paco and good for Morgan.

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Filthy Animal

by Douglas Goff


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
The author has placed a warning on this post for sexual content.



Background
In the last chapter Morgan was arrested and taken to the police station for processing.

On the other side of town, at a waterfront warehouse, a figure emerged from the shadows.  

"Is that badge supposed to mean something to me? ‘Cause it don’t. You better be here to tell me you’ve arrested that asshole, Harper, for assaulting me.” Paco made a loud smacking sound with his lips and held up his two bandaged hands as if to validate his wounds. “That bato's a filthy animal.”

“What the hell? Are you just gonna stand there in the dark like some kinda creepy stalker? I want that Harper in jail for his crimes against a good citizen, myself.” Paco signaled the shadows, but nothing happened.  

Look!” He opened his mouth wide, showing gaps in the front where his gold teeth had been removed. “Bastard took my teeth and put my boy Hugo in the hospital for two days. My homey’s lucky he has a thick skull. He should be around here somewhere.”

The figure still didn’t speak. 

Paco assumed there was no way they knew about the chase earlier. The Camaro was stolen. “Why don’t you step forward so I can see your face?” Paco stared at the dark form before him. “I know I never saw Harper but I know it was him. Wait . . . is that you, Morgan?”

The silent figure stepped into the light. 

“What the hell are you supposed to be? Are you even a cop? Hey, you don’t need that. What are you doing? I surrender. Put it away.”

BAM!!!

                  *.    *.    *

“Shit, Belzar, get Harper a blanket and warm cup of coffee.” Chief Charlie Wilson walked into the interrogation room. “Uncuff this man, Captain!”

The taller, broad-shouldered Howitz had followed the Chief into the room and rushed over, uncuffing Morgan. The chilled man quickly began rubbing his arms and legs to get the circulation going.  

What the hell is this?  Soon, a warm blanket was put over his shoulders and a steaming cup of coffee was placed in front of his face. Darrin Belzar gave him a big smile. This is unexpected. Not that I’m complaining.

Chief Wilson took a seat across from Morgan at the metal table. His phone immediately started vibrating. Morgan’s top boss pulled the cell from his pocket and, after shutting it off, set it on the table. 

“Damn thing must’ve rung fifty times in the last thirty minutes.” The grey-haired, slightly balding man was wearing grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt. He looked like he had jumped out of bed and come straight to the police station. 

“Your story is a tough one, Harper.”  He sighed. “You went from hero to bad guy the moment your wife killed herself. Tragic.”

Morgan just sipped his coffee, unsure of what was going on or why the top brass was here. Something changed

“Son, you’re not the first person to suffer tragedy or lose someone. I was widowed at twenty-three when my first wife, Linda, was killed in a traffic accident. Taken out by a drunk driver who already had three DUI convictions.  I lost it. I spent the following year in a drunken stupor. My superiors took me under their wings and took care of me until I was able to put it behind me. It’s far past time for you to do the same.”

“Excuse me, Sir, but why are you here? Shouldn’t I be on my way to county lock-up?”

“No, Morgan. I’m here to help you put this mess behind you. Officer Belzar’s going to drive you home tonight.”  

Morgan’s mouth popped open. From county lock-up to home?Did I hit my head in that accident? “I don’t understand?”

“You still don’t know who you pulled out of that car do you?”

Morgan shrugged. “I don’t even know if the driver survived.” 

“She did, thanks to you. She has some broken ribs and is missing some hair, but she’s alive. You rescued Karen and Megan Kerns tonight.” He held a barely noticeable grin. “That’s why my phone has been blowing up and I’m not lying in my warm bed right now. Every official in the state has been calling me. All the way to the governor."

“Kerns, as in State Senator Larry Kerns?” Morgan was shocked.  

“The one and only. You not only saved his daughter, but also his granddaughter.” The man’s smile grew, slightly. “The Kerns ladies were in Seattle enjoying a shopping trip. Seems the kid likes ships and boats, so they always drive around the wharf when they’re in town."

“Okay.” He was at a loss for words so that was the best response he could come up with.

“This is big, Harper. Very big. Kerns is behind the Defund The Police movement in Washington State. And you, a cop, just saved his closest family members. So you go home now, get a good night sleep, and think about what I said. Time to leave the past in the past. Come to work tomorrow at 9:00 am sharp, in your dress uniform. We’ll all sit down in the conference room and work some things out. Understood?”

“Yes, Sir.” Completely

“9:00 am sharp, Detective Harper. And make sure you shave off that . . . whatever it is on your chin.” That ended the unexpected meeting.  

Belzar drove Morgan to Tamra’s place, rambling on excitedly about the accident and the rescue. “Do you know who saved you? Jesus did!  You got a freaking miracle. Not that you deserved it. But who does?”

Morgan didn’t pay much attention. His mind was focused on three things: He was sitting in the front seat this time with the heater on as high as it would go, the Chief had called him Detective Harper, and Tamra was waiting for him. 

When Morgan knocked, Tamra answered the door naked. She grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him into her apartment, never breaking eye contact with her exquisite eyes. “When you called and said you were on your way,  I agreed that we needed to have a serious talk about us. But then I realized I had something more important to take care of first. You.”

The first time he took her it was a quick and passionate lust-filled need for fulfillment. The second time, it was much longer as they explored each other’s bodies and learned what the other liked. Finally, they slept in each other’s arms, deep and fulfilled. 
 

Character/Suspect List: 

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper.

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Captain Howitz - Morgan’s boss who runs the Homicide Unit. 

Ronny Tate - Street cop who can't stand Morgan.

Darrin Belzar - Religious by-the-book street cop. 

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Hugo Chavez - Paco's thug/bodyguard.

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter. 

Ted 'Teddy' Norton - Morgan's old academy training officer. 

Steve Vance - Vicki's husband.

Vicki Vance - An old friend of Morgan and Debra’s. Murdered in her bar by the killer. 

Beth Mackie - A murdered prostitute. 

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute.

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide.  





The suspect field narrowed. One more chapter then I will be looking for your guesses as to who the killer is!

Bato - Slang for
Bro or dude more commonly used by Hispanic islanders. Vato would be the same with a more vulgar connotation.

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily, so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.