General Fiction posted March 24, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Haibun

Tango to the Stars

by jmdg1954


 

 
 
 
 
 
 

Seated at the bar. Hands touch. Knees bump. Eyes meet. Soft and passionate. Jet black hair, red lipstick, teardrop earrings. Hot Argentine tango lives within her. Two lover's hands interlock. She wears a tight red, open back dress. Seductive and gorgeous like the woman inside. Sparkling like fireflies, the two of you flitter about the dance floor. 

You spin. You lift. You dip. You Argentine kick. Your palm runs up her thigh. Her waist. Her arm, until... Your fingertips brush her cheek. Lips touch. Breath hot. Hearts beat. Rapid fire... Thank you God for bringing us together. The last time. This time. Next time.

She laughs. You hear more music. You smile. Your mind dances like Gene Kelly. Tap, tap, tap of the soft shoe. Dancing in the rain...

"Want to get out of here?" you ask. Stomach knotted. Filled with butterflies. Like an eighth grader at his first school dance.

Coquettish smile. "More than you know."

You follow her out of the bar. Your eyes mesmerized by her walk.

"Where to?" she asks.

"Let's follow the stars. Hop in."

She's next to you. First gear. Then second. The radio is silent. Third gear. Listen to the tires on the road. Fourth gear.

You drive past open fields. Speed past accumulated memories.

"Look up at the stars," you say. "They sparkle against the backdrop of the infinite universe and into heaven."

"They're gorgeous."

"As are you. Let's go outside.”

Your hand lay in mine

I love you more than you know

I have all I need

She steps out of the car. Hands on her narrow waist, you lift her onto the hood.

Lying there, listening to crickets chirp. She nuzzles her face in your chest.

"This is great," she says. "I feel so connected to you. Your soul. To everything."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's perfect."

"Will you marry me?"




Recognized


A haibun may record a scene, or a special moment, in a highly descriptive and objective manner or may occupy a wholly fictional or dream-like space.

The accompanying haiku may have a direct or subtle relationship with the prose and encompass or hint at the gist of what is recorded in the prose sections.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.