Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 20, 2024 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Morgan gets clean.

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Ted Norton

by Douglas Goff




Background
In the last chapter, Doctor Parker told Morgan that he needed to go away and clear his head.

The warm sun beat down on his face, feeling incredible. Morgan couldn’t get enough of it. He had spent the last several days lounging around the beach on towels and in lawn chairs. 

“Your drink, Mr. Benson. A young Hispanic male held a tray holding a large frosted glass with a colorful umbrella sticking out of it.  

“Thank you, Jorge.”

“Virgin Pina Colada, just like you requested, Sir.”

Morgan was feeling good. Not that the first week hadn’t been rough. It took two days alone for his hyper anxieties to drain away. Then came the shakes.  

Morgan had not expected detoxing off alcohol to be so rough. The tremors and sickness, followed by a terrible headache that lasted for days.  But now, he was feeling great. 

Morgan took the drink and tipped the young man, then lay back down. He wanted more of that beautiful sunshine. 

Harpers don’t run from their problems. His father’s voice popped into his head. Oh great, Dad's back. Apparently we Harpers don’t drink or have sex anymore either. He chuckled to himself. 

Morgan really had adored the man, whom he had considered to be his best friend. His father died the year he graduated from the police academy. His mother died two years after. Both from cancer. 

Nobody’s running dad. I just needed a break to get my head straight before I return and fight to get my life back. 

Not that the thought hadn’t crossed Morgan’s mind in the past two weeks. It would be hard for the burnt-out man to return to Seattle. Hard to leave this incredible sun that felt like a warm hug. But return he would. Harpers don’t run. 

That night, Morgan enjoyed a delicious lobster dinner, followed by an incredible massage. Oddly, he only thought about sleeping with the cute masseuse a couple of times. Normally, it would have been all he could think about. 

Morgan knew he was doing the right thing. He hadn’t touched alcohol the entire time he had been here. Nor had Debra visited him in the dream world. Not even once. He had even declined hitting some weed one night while hanging around a beach campfire with some local youths. Now I can think straight. 

Doctor Parker had told him to find something worth living for. But what? Maybe she meant me? Or my job? Hell no. Kelly? She’s just a kid. Tamra? Damn, that night was something to remember. Not even Debra had electrified me like that.  

What had Hutch said? One step at a time. Well, I guess staying out of prison will be my main focus.  

That afternoon, Ted Norton arrived. After he checked in, the two men met up in a poolside cabana.

“Teddy!” Morgan gave the man a tight embrace. Ted Norton had been his favorite Training Officer at the police academy. “I can’t believe you flew all the way down here to see me!”

“I’m retired. Besides, I’ve never been to Brazil, so I thought, why not?” The older man laughed. “You’re looking very good.”

“Hutch filled you in on all the gritty details?” Morgan hated for this man to know his shameful secrets.

“Every grimy one. The minute he told me you needed me, I jumped on the first plane I could get a ticket for. Imagine my wife’s surprise when I told her I was leaving for Brazil the following morning!” Ted let out a hearty belly laugh. “Are you really so surprised that I came?”

“No. I actually knew you would.” Morgan nodded. “I never forgot what you did in the academy when my father was sick and then died a couple days before graduation. You let me fly home several times and miss classes. Not to mention, you drove me all the way home to Spokane the day before graduation for the funeral and drove all night to get us back that morning. Also, you helped out, Kelly. That was huge.”

“Morgan, you were the best student I ever had. Possibly the best the academy has ever seen. You certainly would’ve had the highest marks if you hadn’t missed those classes.” The man shrugged.

“Still, you went way above and beyond.” Morgan smiled. 

“I saw a young man with a lot of potential who needed a helping hand. So I helped. And getting the young woman off the streets and into nursing school was a no-brainer. Everyone deserves a chance to succeed.”

“So what should I do, Teddy?” Morgan shrugged. 

“You're doing it.” Ted smiled. “I understand you came here to get yourself straight. To clean up and come up with a game plan.” 

“I’m clean, relaxed, well rested and well fed.” Morgan laughed. “But, I have to go back and I still have no idea what to do.”

“You know exactly what to do. What’s the number one thing I taught you men at the academy? The one thing more important than any other?” He stared the younger man in the eye.

“Always take responsibility for our actions.” Morgan sighed. “I’m afraid that’s a heavy load.”

“Regardless. Take responsibility and accept whatever repercussions that may come. That’s what being a man is all about.” Morgan couldn’t break his gaze because he knew his wise mentor was correct. “But don’t forget the follow-up. Stop being an idiot and change your course. Stop engaging in bad behavior. You’ve grieved long enough. When you get back to Seattle, climb on top of the cute sister-in-law you have the hots for. What’s her name?”

“Tam . . . Tamra. Hutch told you about her?” 

“Yeh. The sooner you accept Debra is gone and not coming back, the quicker you’ll realize she’d have been okay for you to be happy. Whatever internal demons she was facing, she’d never have blamed you for her death. Not if she really loved you.”

He’s right. It’s time to let her go. Tears started flowing freely down Morgan’s cheeks. “She did. I know she loved me.”

“I’m sure she did, dear boy. I’m sure she did.” Ted gave the distraught man a hug. 

Later that evening, the two friends enjoyed a tasty T-bone steak dinner. They spent a whole week together, basking in the sun, swimming, and eating large meals. 

One day at the pool, Teddy watched Morgan swim up. “I forgot what an incredible swimmer you are.”

“Four years on the high school swim team. Made varsity three of those.” Morgan smiled at the old memories. 

“Yes, I remember seeing all those trophies and ribbons at your parents’ house when I took you home for the funeral.” Teddy smiled at him. “I guess you’ve never lost the talent.”  

Morgan shrugged off his praise. “Being in the water has always felt like second nature to me. I used to be able to hold my breathe underwater for three minutes. Doubt I could do that anymore.”

“Give it a try.” Teddy challenged him. 

Morgan made a few attempts, but barely broke two minutes. The pair played around in the pool for another hour then had a fabulous seafood dinner. 

The following morning, it was time for Norton to go. Morgan saw him off, outside of the resort.  

“Thank you, old friend.”  Morgan hugged the man warmly. 

“When you return in two weeks, you do what you need to do. Be the man that I know you are, Detective Harper.” The man gave him a wink. 

“Thank you, Teddy.” The fact that Norton had called him by his title showed Morgan a lot of respect. Then Ted was gone. 

Another week of beach time at the all-inclusive resort passed by quickly and the day arrived for Morgan to return home. I’m ready. 
 

Character/Suspect List: 

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper.

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Captain Howitz - Morgan’s boss who runs the Homicide Unit. 

Ronny Tate - Street cop who can't stand Morgan.

Darrin Belzar - Religious by-the-book street cop. 

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Hugo Chavez - Paco's thug/bodyguard.

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter. 

Ted 'Teddy' Norton - Morgan's old academy training officer. 

Steve Vance - Vicki's husband.

Vicki Vance - An old friend of Morgan and Debra’s. Murdered in her bar by the killer. 

Beth Mackie - A murdered prostitute. 

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute.

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide.  





Wow! No warnings! This chapter is not filler. It was in my original outline plan as I needed 30 days to pass in Seattle to make something happen.

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily, so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.