Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 19, 2024 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The interrogation ends and love blooms

A chapter in the book Living On The Edge

Living On The Edge - Chap 20

by Begin Again




Background
I apologize for the length. I thought I could end it with this chapter, but it just wouldn't let me. I promise the next chapter will do it. The book is done.
END OF CHAPTER 19
Harrison gulped and wiped his brow. "I haven't been able to talk to Jake because I was told an unknown assailant shot him at the same time Ms. Saladino stabbed my officer."

Layla's eyes widened, and she glanced at Garth and then at her lawyer. Ms. Cunningham smiled and patted Layla's hand. "Don't upset yourself, dear." Straining to keep a straight face, she asked the Chief, "If Jake was shot, he should be in a hospital or lying in the morgue. Which is it, Chief Harrison?"

"This is her statement. What does it matter where Jake Landingham is at?" He turned his anger on Garth. "Ask him? He should know where his FBI Agent is. You didn't think I knew, did you?" Harrison sneered, "Sent him into my town, undercover, thinking I wouldn't find out. You had no idea who you were dealing with, did you?"

Garth laughed, "And neither do you."

Alice Cunningham pushed her chair away from the table and walked to the door. She opened it and spoke, "Would you like to join us now?"

Jake walked through the door, smiling. He briefly stopped to kiss Layla's cheek and then joined Garth, handing him an envelope. Layla recognized it as the one from Alyssa's apartment.

Garth laughed. "Hey, Chief, we just found the missing body."

For the first time since arriving at the station, Layla smiled at Richard Harrison.
 
*****
 
CHAPTER 20

The Chief was livid; his face turned an alarming shade of red. In a rage, he leaped out of his chair and sent it crashing against the wall with a loud bang. He screamed at the top of his lungs, "Listen, Cowboy! We're done! Take your posse and get out of my precinct." He opened the door to punctuate his demands.

Unfazed by the Chief's outburst, Garth nodded at Tango, who hurried to the front of the room and closed the door, staring Harrison down.
 
"I'm afraid we're just getting started," Garth said calmly.

Fed up with the situation, Harrison turned towards the door and arrogantly announced, "I'm done with you. I'm leaving!"

"S
IT DOWN!" Garth shouted but quickly controlled himself. He lowered his voice. "I'll tell you when we're done, and I guarantee you it's not now," Garth was firm, but he refused to yell again.

"You think you can come here and tell me what to do?" Harrison retorted, "It's my town, not yours." His voice dripped with disdain.

"The first time, I asked nicely. Now, I'm telling you to sit down," Garth replied, his tone still calm and measured.

"I won't! I'm out of here." He opened the door to leave, but Tango was faster.

He grabbed the Chief's shoulders and pushed until he collapsed into the chair. Harrison rose up, striking the FBI agent's chin with his balled fist, but he was no match for Tango's lightning-fast reflexes. Tango grabbed Harrison's wrist with a vice-like grip and forced him back into his chair, effectively ending the standoff.

Harrison glared at Tango and then at Garth. He resorted to threats. "I'm going to have all your jobs."

Tango towered over the Chief. "I suggest you shut up and listen."

Garth spoke in a smooth, calming voice that exuded confidence without losing authority. "Now that's better," he said, turning towards Layla as he spoke, "Please provide us with a brief account of that night."

"We're done, Cowboy!" Harrison bellowed, his face contorted with rage and frustration. "How many times do I have to say it?"

Garth's expression remained unchanged, but he stood and spoke to the lawyer. "Alice, I guess he's determined to do this the hard way. Please ask our guests to join us."

Alice quickly opened the door, revealing three distinguished-looking men dressed in suits. They greeted Garth with firm handshakes before taking seats in the back of the room. The Chief's jaw tightened as he stared at them as they paraded into the room.

"For everyone in the room, let me introduce the Illinois Attorney General, Rockford's Mayor, and the Director of the FBI." He smiled and nodded at the Director. "He's my boss."

A polite round of applause filled the room.

"Now, since you prefer to show your ass, I am forced to do it this way." He waited a moment and then continued, "Chief Richard Harrison, by order of the Attorney General, you are permanently relieved of your duties and will no longer be considered any part of these procedures. From now on, I will be in charge of Ms. Saladino's interrogation and any procedures that might follow."

"By what authority?" Harrison realized he was losing the fight but couldn't resist one last stand. "You can't —"

"But I can, and I did by the unanimous decision of these three distinguished gentlemen." Garth nodded toward the group and then turned to face Harrison. "Listen closely. You can sit quietly while I listen to Ms. Saladino's statement, or I'll have my agent remove you in handcuffs. Do I make myself clear?"

Harrison's eyes shot daggers at Garth, but he knew no point in arguing further. He gritted his teeth and remained silent.

Satisfied, Garth pulled a chair beside Layla and asked, "My apologies, Layla, but could you brief us with a quick summary of the night?"

After taking a deep breath, Layla began telling her story. "As I walked down the street, I clutched a small knife that Jake had given me, tightly hidden within my hand. My nerves were on edge as I did not know where Jake would be."

Harrison couldn't resist taking a shot. "The weapon you used to kill my officer." Tango's hand gripped Harrison's shoulder as a warning.

Layla shifted her eyes toward Harrison and then back to her hands before she continued, "I entered the bar alone and immediately felt the eyes of a man at the bar. He nodded and tossed his whiskey down his throat. He tapped a cigarette against its case, tossed a twenty on the bar, and headed toward the door. He brushed against me, stopping to admire my breasts." Layla shivered and looked down at her lap, lowering her voice, "I could feel his hot breath against my skin. He grinned and then walked out of the bar."

Harrison growled, "A red-blooded male admired the package, and she labeled him a murderer. She killed a cop."

Garth's head snapped toward him. "This is the last time I ask you to be quiet." He smiled at Layla, "Please, go one."

Alice reached over and took Layla's hand. "Take your time, dear. Just tell us what you remember."

Layla hesitated and continued, "Although no one seemed suspicious, Jake had warned me to be wary of a man wearing a red baseball cap."

"Hmmph! A baseball cap. First, I heard of it."

Alice squeezed Layla's hand. "Try to ignore him."

Layla glanced across the table and then at Garth. "Except for the guy brushing against me, no one stood out. I wasn't sure who I was looking for; I guess I was hoping for him to find me. Since I didn't see anyone, I decided to check outside and walked further down the street, hoping he would come after me." Trembling, Layla closed her eyes, remembering. "I can't! Please, I don't want to remember it."

Once again, her lawyer tried to reassure her. "You can do this. You're safe with us. Take your time and tell Garth what happened."

Layla nodded. "I didn't hear him approaching. Then, suddenly, I sensed him before I felt his hand reach my throat. I didn't have time to think. I was terrified. I spun and jammed the knife into his gut. He stumbled and fell to the ground, bleeding." Layla sobbed and buried her face in her hands.

Garth leaned toward Layla, speaking in a low voice, "We're here to help you. Do you need a break, or can you finish your statement?"

Layla took a deep breath and released it. "No, I want to get this over." She smiled weakly and said, "I remember bending down and lifting his hand. I saw the tattoo and started screaming hysterically. I didn't want him to die. I needed to know what he did with my sister." Sobbing, she cried, "I didn't want him to die."

"We know." Garth recognized how difficult it was for Layla to relive those moments. He waited for her to continue.

"In minutes, the police rushed in and confiscated the knife. I was surprised Chief Harrison was there so fast. I remember him picking up the red baseball cap and putting it in his pocket." She stopped and stared at him. "You — you took the hat."

Harrison yelled, "She's a liar!"
 
Garth smiled, "You protest too much, Harrison. You might benefit from keeping your mouth shut."

Layla shook her head. "I'm not lying. You shoved the hat in your pocket and told an officer to put me in a police car. I felt numb. Everything seemed a blur after that."

"So, let me get this straight. A man approached you from behind and grabbed your throat. You screamed and fought for your survival. Facing your attacker, you shoved the knife into his gut. He fell backward to the ground, bleeding. And moments later, the Chief and his men arrived."

"Yes, that's how it happened."

"She's lying. She murdered my officer in revenge for her sister."

Garth ignored the outburst and directed his attention to Layla, "Thank you for sharing your story with me. If I may, please allow me to recap your statement. You confirmed that the events you narrated earlier are correct. You mentioned that the kidnapper who took your sister had a distinct tattoo, and this tattoo had a particular significance. Additionally, you believed that the same person who kidnapped your sister was also trying to harm you? Is that correct?"

"Yes." Layla shivered as a vision of that night flashed through her mind.

"Was Richard Harrison aware of what happened to your sister?"

"Yes, I flew from New York, and when I arrived in Rockford, I went directly to my sister's apartment. A few minutes later, Mr. Harrison arrived at her place. He said neighbors had complained of a burglary."
 
Garth interjected, "Convenient. He just happened to be in the neighborhood instead of sending a patrol officer." He smirked at Harrison and then turned back to Layla. "Sorry for my interruption, please continue."

"Later, Chief Harrison told me he believed my sister was a prostitute and that they had listed her as a missing person. He suggested she had taken a vacation. He refused to believe I'd seen her kidnapping on video chat."

"At a later date, did you learn that your sister, Alyssa Saladino, actually worked undercover for Mr. Harrison?"

"I did. Penny, the Chief's assistant, told me. She was surprised I wasn't aware of it."

"Did Mr. Harrison, at any other time, say he knew your sister?"

"Yes, when a body was discovered in the river wearing a bracelet with her name. He also told me that pieces of her clothing were found at the crime site."

"How did he know it was your sister's clothing?"

"I believe he said forensics found her DNA."

"Is there anything else you'd like to add to your statement now?" Layla shook her head. "I thank you for your patience and your time. These fine gentlemen and I apologize for Mr. Harrison's incompetence and abuse of power."

Harrison jumped out of his chair and snarled at Garth, "You no good, son-of-a-bitch!"

"I'm tired of playing nice with you." Garth nodded at Tango, adding, "Cuff him."

Harrison spun around, prepared to fight, but Tango's iron grip made it a useless attempt.

Ignoring Harrison, Garth returned to talking to Layla. "I believe we've taken up enough of your time. If it pleases you, Jake will take you to another room, where you can relax, and some refreshments will be served."

Garth winked at her and nodded toward Jake. Unable to contain her excitement, Layla beamed from ear to ear as Jake led her from the room.

*****

Jake couldn't control himself as he closed the interrogation room door behind them. His arms wrapped around Layla, and he pulled her close.

"I'm sorry," he said, burying his face in her hair. "I'll never forgive myself for letting you get involved."

Layla laughed and tilted her head to look directly into his eyes. "You couldn't have stopped me," she replied. She lowered her eyes as she continued, "I'm the one who is sorry. I killed the man who could tell us about my sister."

"Don't blame yourself," he said, gently kissing her lips. "We need to talk, but not in this hallway. Let's find those refreshments. Penny promised there would be chocolate chip cookies, my favorite."

Layla's eyes sparkled as she laughed. "Mine too!"

Jake led her to the assigned room, slipping her hand into his. It was less stark than the one she'd spent hours in and much happier.
 
Layla collapsed on one of the sofas and sighed, content to be done with the interrogation.
 
Jake stood in front of her, simultaneously looking at her with anticipation, happiness, and fear. "There's something I need to tell you, Layla." He paused and then said, "Alyssa is alive."

Layla's eyes widened, and she gasped. "Allie! Oh my God, that's amazing news! Where is she? Is she okay?" she asked, her voice trembling with excitement. "Take me to her."

Jake held up his hand, "I know you're excited, Layla, but there are some things you need to know before I take you to see her."

Layla nodded, eager to hear more. "Okay, what is it?" Then, changing her mind, she said, "No, it doesn't matter. I want to see her now." Tears gathered in her eyes, threatening to spill and run down her cheeks.

Jake looked at her with concern and sat beside her. "When you see Alyssa, she may not remember you."

Layla's heart sank at the thought. "What do you mean? How could she not remember me? I'm her sister," she said, her voice cracking.

"Alyssa sustained an injury, and she's still in the process of recovering. She has amnesia, so her memory is not fully intact. But the doctors are optimistic that she'll regain her memory soon."

"Amnesia! We're sisters. I know she'll remember. If not, she will eventually, right?"

Jake nodded. "Yes, she will, but there's something else you need to know. Alyssa has become very close to a friend of mine. They spent a lot of time in the hospital atrium together."

Layla looked at him curiously. "What kind of friend?"

Jake hesitated momentarily before answering, "Someone who has become very important to her."

Layla ran her hand up and down his arm and smiled. "It happens." She leaned close and kissed him, and he returned the kiss. "Now, as much as I would love to continue kissing you, please take me to Alyssa."

Jake sighed. "There's more. If Alyssa remembers you, all her memories might come flooding back at once."

"That'll be great, right?" Layla bubbled with excitement.

"Normally, yes. In this case, it could destroy my friend," he replied, his expression grave.

"Destroy him? Why?" Layla's heart raced, yet she was confused.

"Troy was framed for a murder and sent to prison. A few weeks ago, he was given an early release. Alyssa tried to prove him guilty because the victim was her close friend."

"If someone set him up, she'll understand."

"Most likely, but the real question is whether she will give him a chance to prove his innocence. From what I'm told, she hated him."

"But now, does she love him? If she is willing to give him her heart, she must know what kind of man he is."

"I sincerely hope you are right, for Troy's sake." As he spoke, his lips brushed gently across her cheek before moving to her mouth, where they lingered briefly. "But before we get too carried away, let's go see your sister and Troy.

*****

"We've been waiting a long time, Troy. What do you think is going on?"

"I'm not sure, but they'll tell us when they're ready. Cops are like that."

Alyssa laughed. "What would you know about what cops are like?"

Troy sat his coffee cup on the table and reached for Alyssa's hands. He looked deep into her eyes, knowing he had to tell her.

"Troy, you look so sad. What's wrong?" When he didn't answer, she said, "You're scaring me."

He cleared his throat and started to speak, "Alyssa, in this short time we've known each other, I've grown quite fond of you. You might say I'm falling —" He looked away, pressing his lips together.

"Troy, you can say it." Alyssa smiled, her eyes filled with joy. "I think I'm falling in love, too. So why the sad face?"

"Because I have to tell you something, which might make you change your mind."

"Silly! I can't think of anything that might change my feelings unless you want to run off and get married at this very minute. I might want to wait till you are out of that wheelchair." She laughed. "Come on. Just tell me. I promise not to be mad."

He swallowed hard before he spoke, "I am — no, I was a cop."

"Okay, so your chosen profession was law enforcement. No wonder we get along so well. I told you I thought I was something like that, too."

"I said I was because the police accused me of murdering someone." His eyes dropped, and he stared at his lap.

Alyssa gasped. "You? Murder? How could anyone think you would take someone's life unless it were in the line of duty, of course?"

Troy shook his head, feeling the tightness in his chest. "I was convicted and sent to prison. My brother framed me, I think. He's the Police Chief in this precinct."

Alyssa's eyes widened in shock as she turned to Troy. "Oh, Troy, is that the reason we're here?" Her gaze darted around the unfamiliar room, thinking about how to escape. "We need to get out of here. It's not safe for you. Will he send you back to jail?"

Troy shook his head. "I don't know why we're here, for sure. But we can't leave, Allie. I'm in a wheelchair."

Alyssa's heart sank as she realized the gravity of the situation. She took a deep breath and tried to steady her nerves. "It's okay. I'll push you, and I can run fast if we need to."

As she swung open the door, she was suddenly face-to-face with Layla and Jake. The shock of seeing people outside the door left her speechless momentarily, but then she remembered and screamed, "Layla!" She rushed into her sister's open arms, and they both sobbed with relief and joy.

Troy buried his face in his hands, and Jake rushed to his side. "It's going to be okay, pal."

Troy lifted his head, staring at the two women hugging each other. "What if she hates me?"



Recognized


Troy Sinclair - Ex-cop recently released from prison
Richard Harrison - Chief of Police and Troy's brother
Alyssa Saladino - Undercover cop
Tommy - Sandra's ex-partner and Alyssa's current one (a dirty cop)
Penny - Chief of Police's Assistant
Frank Divito - small-time mob boss
Sammy - Frankie's right-hand man
Jake Landingham - a friend of Troy and an undercover FBI Agent
Tyler Chadwick - NYC Detective
Antonio - a childhood friend - a hood
Layla Saladino - Alyssa's sister and fashion designer
Father Terry Williams - Priest and childhood friend
Marcos - a criminals' henchman
Garth Woodman - Senior Special FBI agent
Tango, Poppa, and Lance - FBI agents
Hannah - the nurse
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.