General Flash Fiction posted March 17, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A short fable

Unfriendly Neighbors

by RodG

Write A Modern Fable Contest Winner 

Two backyards were separated by a brown picket fence.

Katie the kitten lived in one.  She was all white except for the top of her tiger-striped face and ears and blue eyes.

Caruso the cocker spaniel roamed the other yard.  He was caramel in hue with chocolate eyes.

Scampi the grey bushy-tailed squirrel scampered up and down elm trees that bordered both yards.

Caruso growled at Katie if she dared to come near the fence and chased after Scampi if he bounded across Caruso’s yard.

Because both Katie and Scampi feared Caruso, they’d become friends.  The kitten, who loved to lie on sunny spots, often watched Scampi dig up or bury nuts.

One day Katie climbed an elm in fright.

“Scampi, that hound has dug a hole under the fence.  I—I saw his fangs.  I’m afraid to leave this branch.”

Suddenly, they heard Caruso’s baleful howl.

“Help me!  I’m stuck.”

“Got what you deserved.”  Scampi taunted him from up high.

“Please help.  I only meant to scare her.”

“Liar,” Katie cried.  “You’d bite me if you could."

“Noooo.”  His howl became a whimper.

Scampi looked at Katie and fiercely shook his tail.  “I believe him.”

Then he scurried down the trunk to Caruso’s wriggling rump.

“What can I do?” Scampi chittered.

“Dig as if you’re after a giant nut.”

“I’ll help, too,” said Katie who’d quietly snuck down the tree.  “I’ve  sharp claws and this dirt is soft.”

Both went to work and moments later Caruso was free.

He sat on his haunches and scratched his hide.  “Thank you both.  Can we now be friends?”

Katie rubbed her flank against his and purred, “I think so.”

Scampi sat, twitched his tail, and sagely spoke.  “And the moral of the story is a friend in need is a friend indeed.”



Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300.

Write A Modern Fable
Contest Winner


Artwork courtesy of Google images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.