Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 16, 2024 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Who's head will roll?

A chapter in the book Living On The Edge

Living On The Edge - Chap 17

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 16
A knock on the interrogation room door irritated the Chief. He snarled, "We're busy in here. I don't want to be disturbed."

Penny tapped again but cracked the door open so she could speak. "I'm sorry, sir, but I'm afraid there's a gentleman in your office demanding to speak to you."

"Tell him I'm busy."

"I tried, sir, but he's insisting. Something about the information you gave the press about the body. Penny's eyes darted to Layla and away before adding, "Alyssa's body."

Layla lifted her head and screamed, "I told you it's not my sister's body!"

Harrison's temper was boiling. He stormed into the hallway, kicking a chair aside, screaming for the guard to watch Layla, and headed to his office. No one interrupted him in the interrogation room. Not even God! Whoever this was would get a piece of his mind.

"Some idiot is going to get his ass chewed!"

*****


CHAPTER 17

Sammy closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, savoring the delightful fragrance of the flowers. As he slowly opened his eyes, a stunning display of lilies greeted him in varying red, pink, orange, and white hues. Each petal seemed to glow in the sun's warm embrace. Memories of his mother and her garden flooded his thoughts whenever he saw them — one reason he'd chosen not to return to his hometown since her funeral.

He looked away, temporarily setting aside his memories. Today, the doctors suggested he chat with Alyssa, encouraging her to think about the past and who she was. She loved the atrium, so the setting was perfect. He wanted her to feel calm and relaxed.

As Alyssa entered the garden, the sun cast a warm, golden glow that illuminated her lovely features. She glanced around and recognized Sammy. She felt as if she was intruding and turned to leave.

He'd heard her footsteps and turned around to greet her. "Hello, Alyssa. Have you come to soak in the sunshine? It's a gorgeous day," he said with a grin.

She smiled. "I didn't mean to interrupt. I can come back later if you wish."

"Nonsense. Come in and join me." A monarch fluttered over her head and settled upon a Stargazer Lily as if it were waiting for her. Sammy chuckled. "See, even the butterflies were waiting to say hello."

She joined in his laughter and followed him toward a bistro table near the fountain. "I love it here. I'll miss it when I leave," she said with a hint of sadness.

"The doctors tell me your memory is improving day by day. Are you comfortable remembering, or does it seem frightening to you?"

"A little of both, I guess. I don't remember how I got here, but I'm thankful I did. I can't imagine being out there alone, though I wonder if anyone is missing me." She studied her hands briefly and asked, "Do you know who I am?"

Sammy nodded. "I do, but the doctors felt it better for you to remember on your own."

Alyssa nodded and then let out a long sigh. "They are the doctors, so I suppose they are right, but — darn it, I want my life back."

Sammy reached out and patted her hand. "Don't get upset. It will come in time. Do you want to share what you remember so far?"

"It's as though the fog is lifting. I remember having a sister, and we were pretty close, I think. Unfortunately, I can't recall her name or why she moved to a big city. I feel as if I have always been a country girl."

Sammy nodded. "I'm sure your sister loves you very much, regardless of whether she lives far away in one of our concrete jungles. I prefer the rolling countryside, too."

"As for my job, that one's up in the air. Sometimes, I think I've been an investigator or a researcher. I wonder if I worked as a librarian or, even better, as a reporter." Alyssa laughed. "Being a crime reporter intrigues me, probably because I have been reading a detective story at night and not because I have any skills."

Sammy chimed in, "Perhaps you could have been a cop, a Lady Dick Tracy.

Alyssa scrunched up her nose at the idea. "No, I don't think so. The thought of walking the beat and writing parking tickets seems quite dull."

Sammy laughed. "It sounds like you prefer jobs with a bit more excitement. What about being a private investigator tracking down the dirt?"

"Ugh! Are you suggesting I dig through my neighbor's dirty laundry?"

Sammy joked, "Well, I could introduce you to some characters in the underworld, but it's better if you stay away. You're too pretty to get involved with those thugs."

"Speaking of thugs, I remember seeing this lady dressed in red, like in the gangster days. A man was stalking her."

"Whoa, that's crazy. What happened?" Sammy wondered if she remembered working in the red-light district.

She shook her head. "I'm not sure. Every time I see her, she walks down the sidewalk and disappears. But the man who follows her - he gives me chills. I can't see his face except for his piercing eyes. I get the feeling he's a dangerous man." She shivered and turned away.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." Sammy was afraid he'd pushed her too far.

"No, it's okay. I know those eyes are significant, but I don't know why."

Changing the subject, Sammy asked, "Are you going to visit Troy today?"

"Of course!" A pink hue crept across her cheeks. "We've become — friends. The doctors say he can come to the atrium soon. I can't wait."

After a moment of silence, she added, "Sammy, I don't mean to pry, but I feel like Troy's holding something back - something he's afraid to share with me. You know him better than I do. Do you think it's possible?" She hesitated and then questioned, "He doesn't have a wife, does he?"

Alyssa looked to Sammy for an answer, but a familiar voice called out from the entrance before he could respond. Troy appeared, grinning widely as the nurse pushed his wheelchair towards them. "Hello, Sunshine," he said, his eyes fixed on Alyssa. "I couldn't wait any longer, so I came to find you myself."

The nurse laughed and playfully pinched Troy's cheek. "You're a troublemaker, Troy. Will you be okay getting back to your room with Alyssa?"

"Of course," Alyssa replied, smiling. "I'll be happy to get him back to his room."

Sammy teased his friend. "On that note, I bid my adieu since my friend only has eyes for you, my dear." Alyssa blushed, her eyes downcast.

Troy chuckled. "Can you blame me? That mug of yours would scare people in the dark."

"And it has, my friend." Sammy exchanged a meaningful look with Troy before bidding them farewell and walking away with the nurse.
 
*****

As they exchanged pleasantries, Troy's eyes sparkled mischievously. "Were you and Sammy talking about me?"

Alyssa's eyes dropped to the floor, unable to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

Troy let out a hearty laugh. "Don't be upset. I'm not. You wouldn't be asking if you weren't interested."

Alyssa lifted her head and gazed into his mischievous eyes. "And how would you feel if I was?"

"I'd be on cloud nine! Or does that sound like I've been living on morphine too long?" He laughed. "Seriously, I'd be offended if you weren't interested. And to answer your question, no —I am not, nor have I ever, been married. I've been waiting for the right girl to come my way. How about you?"

Alyssa stared at her hands. "I don't think I am. There's no ring on my finger, and I haven't any memories of a man except for the scary guy following a woman in a red dress. He definitely wouldn't be my type."

Troy studied her and wondered what Alyssa remembered and how much of those memories included her hostility towards him. He had planned on sharing his past today but decided it might not be the right time. His thoughts spiraled as he wondered if there would ever be the right time.

*****

Harrison's uninvited guest had made himself at home in the Chief's office. He had kicked up his feet, resting his boots comfortably on the desk, the leather chair creaking slightly under his weight. With a satisfied grin tugging at the corner of his mouth, he watched, almost eagerly, like a bull waiting to be released into an arena. His black Stetson hat, now a symbol of his authority, rested on an empty flower vase.

As expected, the Chief took a quick break to relieve himself after drinking a hefty thirty-two ounces of coffee that morning. However, the caffeine still circulated through his veins, adding to his already boiling anger.

Frantic, Penny rushed to her desk and redirected all incoming calls to her phone. She kept glancing at the door of the men's room and the Chief's office. Meanwhile, the man at the Chief's desk seemed calm and content to wait.

The tension in the air was thick, like the stillness that preceded the gunshot at the start of a championship race. She waited for the Chief to return, hoping things would not escalate further but knowing it would.

*****

Intent on Harrison arriving, she jumped at the sudden ringing of her phone. Grabbing the receiver, she answered, "Rockford Police Department. Penny speaking."

A familiar voice on the other end of the line whispered, "Penny, don't scream. It's Jake."

Her heart skipped a beat as she recognized the voice. "Oh, my God--"

"Don't say my name. Control yourself," Jake cautioned.

"Do you know the Chief has the entire department scouring the city looking for your body?" Penny whispered in disbelief."

"I know, and I hate to disappoint Harrison, but I 'm still alive."

Penny hissed into the receiver, "Where are you?"

"That doesn't matter. Is Harrison in his office with a tall, distinguished Texan?"

"Harrison is emptying his bladder, but the tall cowboy is relaxing in the Chief's chair."

Jake chuckled. "Plug your ears because the windows are going to rattle. I know Harrison's temper, but I'll bet my money on the cowboy any day. He's calm and measures out every word before he says it. The Chief, on the other hand, will be a raging bull."

"You've got that," Penny agreed.

"Who's in the interrogation room with Layla?" Jake asked, changing the subject.

"How do you know where she's at?" Penny looked around, wondering where he was hiding. Finally, she answered his question. "It's Ruby."

"Perfect! When the Chief enters his office, I'm going to see Layla."

"You can't —" Penny protested.

"I can and I will. Ruby will not give me any guff. And I can count on the Texan to keep the Chief busy. I'll be in and out in five minutes."

"If the Chief sees you—"

"I promise you he won't."

Penny felt a trickle of sweat run down her back. "He is headed toward his office as we speak. Please be careful."

"No worries." Jake disconnected the call.

*****

Harrison stormed through the outer office, charging between the desks like a bull, his eyes fixed on his office door. Reaching it, he swung it open with a sharp jerk, causing it to slam into the wall as he stepped inside.

He glared at the man sitting in his chair. "Who the hell do you think you are coming into my office, acting like some big shot? That's my desk where your fancy boots are resting, and I advise you to get them off of there before I do it for you."

A grin crossed Garth's face as he slowly stood. His six-foot-two frame towered over Harrison's five-nine. He brushed his hand across the top of the mahogany desk and then bent down, blowing his breath across it. He walked around the desk, waved his hand, and drawled, "It's all yours. Too lumpy for my taste anyhow."

Harrison's face turned a darker shade of red, and he snarled, "I don't know who you are, but my name's on the door. That means I decide what goes on. Your business will have to wait because I'm in the middle of interrogating a murder suspect."

"No, Mr. Harrison, I'm afraid you're mistaken." Garth extended his hand to Harrison as a friendly gesture.

Ignoring Garth's hand, Harrison walked around to his chair and sat. "I don't make mistakes," he growled, glaring at the cowboy.

Unruffled, Garth tried again. "Let me introduce myself. My name is Garth Woodman. I am the Senior Special Agent, and I work directly for the Director of the FBI in Washington D.C."

"Don't mean nothing to me. You don't have any jurisdiction here."

"Unfortunately, you are misinformed, Mr. Harrison."

Unimpressed, the Chief growled, "And your ears must be plugged. It's Chief Harrison. Now get the hell out."

But the cowboy wasn't going anywhere. "I'm afraid that's not how it's going to work. For starters, I will sit in on your interrogation of Ms. Saladino."

Richard's voice boomed, "Like hell you are. Get your boss on the phone. This is my town, and I run it. You yokels aren't coming in here and taking over my case."

Garth's tone was calm and measured as he responded, "Didn't your mother ever teach you anything about bullies?" He then pulled out his phone, dialed a number, and handed the phone to Harrison. "His name is Director John Weldon. He might let you sit in on my interrogation if you talk nicely."

Richard Harrison sputtered as he spoke into the phone, "Hello, Director Weldon."
*****

Garth left the office and sauntered over to Penny, his rugged cowboy demeanor charming her. "Darlin', could a poor thirsty cowboy get a cup of coffee?"

Penny found herself completely lost in Garth's piercing blue eyes as she replied, "Coffee? Yes, sir. I just made a fresh pot." She quickly jumped from her chair, trying to calm her wildly beating heart as she hurried towards the coffee station. "Sugar, do you want coffee?" Penny's face turned a bright red. "I meant, do you want sugar with your coffee?"
 
Garth chuckled. "Black will be fine."

*****

Jake checked the hallway before quietly slipping through the back entrance. He could feel his heart racing as he made his way towards the interrogation room. He opened the door with a sudden push, startling the two women inside. Layla looked at him in disbelief, her eyes widening in surprise, but Ruby recovered from her shock quickly, although a concerned look still lingered on her face.

"Jake, if you get caught —" Ruby started, but Jake interrupted her.

"I know, I know. I just needed a minute to tell her I was alive and everything would be okay," Jake said, moving to Layla's side. Tears were streaming down her face.

"I can't stay, but you need to be strong. It will be over soon, I promise. My friend, Garth Woodman, is with the FBI, and right this very minute, he is telling Harrison that he's no longer in charge."

Jake kissed Layla's cheek, and she leaned into him. His lips briefly met hers, and he felt a pang of longing as he pulled away. "I gotta go. Just stay strong, okay?"

Layla nodded, and Jake turned to Ruby. "Thanks, Ruby. I owe you a big one." He glanced at Layla, then opened the door and disappeared.

Ruby smiled and squeezed Layla's shoulder. "Girl, that man's a keeper."



Recognized


Troy Sinclair - Ex-cop recently released from prison
Richard Harrison - Chief of Police and Troy's brother
Alyssa Saladino - Undercover cop
Tommy - Sandra's ex-partner and Alyssa's current one (a dirty cop)
Penny - Chief of Police's Assistant
Frank Divito - small-time mob boss
Sammy - Frankie's right-hand man
Jake - a friend of Troy and an undercover FBI Agent
Tyler Chadwick - NYC Detective
Antonio - a childhood friend - a hood
Layla Saladino - Alyssa's sister and fashion designer
Father Terry Williams - Priest and childhood friend
Marcos - a criminals' henchman
Garth Woodman - Senior Special FBI agent
Tango, Poppa, and Lance - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.