Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 15, 2024 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Chief Interrogates Layla

A chapter in the book Living On The Edge

Living On The Edge - Chap 16

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 15
Jake slipped off the bed, wobbled, and then found his balance. "Well, guys, if Sammy leads the way, you're about to meet the best Crime Boss in Illinois."

Garth pushed a wheelchair toward Jake. "Only if you ride."

Tango stood behind the wheelchair. "Hang on, pal. My driving skills are rusty." He steered the chair toward the door, purposely bumping into the doorjamb. "Oops!"

"Frank's in his study. You guys can interrogate Marcos afterward before our guys tire of babysitting the loud-mouth creep." Sammy turned to Jake. I'll take you to Troy's room while they are busy."

A beautiful woman stood in the doorway of another room. Jake's eyes widened as he recognized her.

"Sammy, that's —"

"A patient with amnesia. She's become friendly with Troy. He's given her the name of Alyssa."

Jake's eyebrows raised as he asked, "Any more secrets you'd like to share?"

"That's enough for tonight. Frankie's waiting." Sammy knocked and opened the door, allowing the group to enter the study.
*****


CHAPTER 16

A pile of morning newspapers from Rockford and the surrounding counties covered Penny's desk, each boasting a headline that would send shivers down one's spine. The articles described in gruesome detail the shocking revelations made by Chief Richard Harrison during his impromptu press conference the previous night.

Penny and Rob enjoyed a date night with dinner at a new restaurant and a movie afterward, so neither was aware of the events until Penny found the newspapers on her desk. As she read the headlines, she grew increasingly confused. It was inconceivable that Layla had murdered anyone and Jake had been shot.

The office was buzzing. Some officers gathered near the coffee station, sharing their thoughts over a cup of fresh brew, while others engaged in heated debates on their phones. Penny was meticulously scanning through each article, scouring for an explanation that could shed some light on the situation. She couldn't wrap her head around how things had gone so wrong, at least in her opinion.

At precisely eight o'clock, the Chief stormed through the office entrance, his face set in a scowl, his footsteps echoing loudly. Everyone scrambled back to their desks, trying to look busy, and the room fell silent. Instead of basking in the glory of the previous night's triumph, the Chief's face was contorted with anger, his face a bright red.

The Chief's voice boomed across the room, "Damn it, Penny, my coffee! You're not paid to sit around reading newspapers. Get me my coffee!"

"Yes, sir." She jolted up from her seat, realizing she had nowhere to go. Her eyes darted nervously toward the door and then to the coffee station. She considered giving the Chief office coffee and instantly rejected it.

With a deep breath, she straightened her back and mentally forced her legs to carry her across the room in search of the Chief's daily coffee delivery. And as if by magic, the barista from the specialty coffee shop appeared.

Unaware of the room's tension, the young man smiled and chirped, "Sorry I'm late. A problem —" but the intense atmosphere in the room silenced him. He quickly handed Penny the Chief's coffee and pastries and hurried away.

Penny rushed toward the Chief's office with the delivery, only for him to abruptly push her aside. She flattened against the door, her eyes wide with surprise, as he charged past her.

His voice boomed, bringing everyone to attention. "Will one of you morons tell me if the missing body has been found?"

The room fell silent. Everyone avoided looking directly at him. Richard Harrison towered over the desks, purposely moving from one to the next. Finally, picking his victim, he crouched so he was level with the seated officer and shouted, "Well, has the body been found?"

The chosen officer cleared his throat and answered, "No, sir. Not to my knowledge."

Harrison stood, surveyed the room, and growled, "Not to your knowledge! I gave an order last night to find him. Now, get out of my sight until it's done. I don't want the FBI crawling all over this place, do you hear me? Find him." Satisfied that everyone understood his demand, he turned and marched back into his office, slamming the door.

Chairs scraped the floor, officers grabbed their coffee, and each raced to leave before he exploded again.

*****

Lost in her thoughts, Penny jumped in surprise when her intercom button buzzed. "Penny, tell holding to escort Ms. Saladino to the Interrogation Room."

"Yes, sir. But Chief, I can't believe Layla Saladino is a murderer."

He snarled, "Anyone can be a murderer in the right situation. She wanted someone to pay for her sister's death. I don't know why she thought it was Tommy instead of Troy. Jake probably convinced her since he always had a soft side for Sinclair."

"Sir —"

"Just do your job, and I'll do mine. Now call holding." Richard Harrison didn't want to hear anyone's opinion on Layla Saladino's innocence.

Deciding he might owe his college buddy a heads-up, he called New York and left a brief message on the answering machine. "Tyler, it's Richard Harrison. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to give you a heads-up. I've got Layla Saladino in my interrogation room. She was brought in under suspicion of murder. Sorry, man." He hung up the phone, smiling.

*****

"Dear Lord, this can't be happening. My sister is missing, I'm in jail, and Jake might be dead. Please give me strength. I ask forgiveness and mercy for what I've done. Lead me into the light. Amen."

Layla was numb. She remembered bits and pieces of the events that led to the Chief ordering her to be detained. Her skin still crawled when she thought of the hands around her throat and the sudden adrenaline surge when she twisted and shoved the knife into her attacker's gut. From that moment, her life blurred. The Chief's face haunted her, but she wasn't sure why. Her wrists hurt from being handcuffed.

She found herself in an isolated holding cell with two benches, a pad for a bed, a metal toilet, and a sink. Other than the slamming of steel doors, it had been quiet, and hours passed before a woman guard shined her flashlight through the bars and into her face.

Afraid to sleep, Layla cowered in the corner, fearful of what might come next. She had no idea of the time, but when a second guard made rounds, she asked for a phone call or a lawyer. He took note of her request but chose to ignore it.

As daylight filtered into the hallway from the tiny barred windows near the ceiling, she prayed this mistake would soon end. Little did she understand that the Chief wouldn't be happy until she was behind bars for good.

*****

Richard Harrison watched through the observation glass as the guard brought Layla into the interrogation room. Her puffy eyes and dark circles gave him satisfaction, knowing she'd had a sleepless night.

He chuckled and said, "Well, my princess, it's time you fell from your high horse. This is my town, and you should have heeded my warnings."

He entered the interrogation room and tossed a file on the table before pulling out a chair and sitting. He glared at her, hoping to add another layer of misery.

"Good morning, Ms. Saladino. I hope you had a pleasant evening at our establishment. It's not the Ritz, but we try to do our best."

He'd hoped to spark her anger but only received a blank stare for his efforts. He tried again, "Cat got your tongue? Or have you given up the fight already? What a shame. I was so looking forward to our chat."

She hated his arrogant attitude. Deep inside, the will to fight was simmering, preparing for battle. She didn't know where her strength came from but knew it was there. She might face a lifetime in prison if he won, but at least she'd have given it her best.

Harrison nodded to the guard. "You can remove the handcuffs. Make our guest comfortable." After removing the handcuffs, he smirked at Layla. "Are you comfy now?"

"I'm not your guest. You're holding me against my will."

Layla rubbed her wrists but stared at the man across the table. Her eyes shifted to his hands. A few jagged scratches were visible.

He looked at his hand and smiled. "I lost a battle with my wife's roses. Just some nasty scratches. Far less treacherous than the mark you left on your victim." He hoped she'd take the bait.

Layla's eyes filled with anger. "Victim."

Harrison laughed. "So, you can talk; I was afraid you'd lost your voice in that damp holding cell."

Layla hated herself for lashing out. Her following words were calm. "Aren't I entitled to a lawyer?"

"Of course, is that what you want?" His grin turned her stomach. He could see the hate in her eyes and smiled. "But if you're innocent as you claim, what's the harm in a friendly conversation? You've nothing to hide, do you?"

He'd drawn Layla in; she wouldn't back down from a face-off with him whether she liked it or not.

"I'm innocent. I was defending myself." Layla's voice was bitter.

Harrison calmly replied, "Your victim was one of my police officers."

Layla yelled, "Victim? You mean murderer, don't you?"

"Murderer? Strong words. Do you have evidence to back them up?"

"Where do I begin?" Layla knew she should wait for a lawyer, but she couldn't stop herself and knew he was well aware of it.

She'd taken his bait, and Harrison couldn't be happier. The fun was about to begin. He looked directly into Layla's eyes and grinned. "Fairytales usually start at the beginning. How about we start there?"

"You mean when you and your department dropped the ball. Someone had to look for my sister."

He didn't appreciate her snide remark. "Just tell me your story, Ms. Saladino."

"When I first met you, you called my sister a prostitute and claimed you didn't know her. You told me she was classified as missing, but later, you suggested she'd taken a vacation. Never once did you mention that she worked for you. Was that a bald-faced lie or an oversight?"

Harrison flipped through the folder, stalling for time. He hadn't expected her to recover so quickly. Layla sensed she'd struck a nerve. She waited, wondering what his answer would be.

He hedged his answer, "Neither. Your sister worked undercover. It was my duty to keep her identity a secret."

"Your duty! Your duty was to protect her and find her."

"Protect her from what? There was no sign of a crime except your ranting about a video phone call. You had no proof. It could have been a joke, as far as I know."

Layla laughed. "I was looking for help, Chief Harrison, not appeasement. I met Jake, and he offered to help, which is something you weren't willing to do."

Harrison's smile disappeared, and he snarled, "So you and your Knight in Shining Armor decided to continue the investigation on your own. Is that correct?"

"Tell me, Chief, have you or your department found any suspects? How's your investigation going, or is there even one in place?"

"I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to share that information with you, especially considering the circumstances that brought you here today."

"Circumstances!! A man with a tattoo on his right hand is out there killing women, and you are going to accuse me. You're a bit confused."

"Correct me if I am wrong, but you are the one who killed my officer. I just want to learn the facts. So how about you continue with your story."

"Where's Jake? Have you asked him about all this? Are you aware that he's FBI? Shouldn't he be here too?"

"I'm afraid your Knight skipped out on you last night. I had word he was shot, but at the moment, we've not been able to locate him. You only have his word that he's FBI."

"Has the FBI been notified? Shouldn't they be made aware that he's missing?"

"I'm afraid his whereabouts or safety are not of concern to you. If he were on the case, he'd be here, right? Instead, he's chosen to disappear."

Layla buried her face in her hands. "You're lying to me. Jake can't be dead. He was trying to help."

Harrison leaned back in his chair, smirking, "Guess you should have thought about all possible consequences before you got him involved."

A knock on the interrogation room door irritated the Chief. He snarled, "We're busy in here. I don't want to be disturbed."

Penny tapped again but cracked the door open so she could speak. "I'm sorry, sir, but I'm afraid there's a gentleman in your office demanding to speak to you."

"Tell him I'm busy."

"I tried, sir, but he's insisting. Something about the information you gave the press about the body. Penny's eyes darted to Layla and away before adding, "Alyssa's body."

Layla lifted her head and screamed, "I told you it's not my sister's body!"

Harrison's temper was boiling. He stormed into the hallway, kicking a chair aside, screaming for the guard to watch Layla, and headed to his office. No one interrupted him in the interrogation room. Not even God! Whoever this was would get a piece of his mind.
 
"Some idiot is going to get his ass chewed!"



Recognized


Troy Sinclair - Ex-cop recently released from prison
Richard Harrison - Chief of Police and Troy's brother
Alyssa Saladino - Undercover cop
Tommy - Sandra's ex-partner and Alyssa's current one (a dirty cop)
Penny - Chief of Police's Assistant
Frank Divito - small-time mob boss
Sammy - Frankie's right-hand man
Jake - a friend of Troy and an undercover FBI Agent
Tyler Chadwick - NYC Detective
Antonio - a childhood friend - a hood
Layla Saladino - Alyssa's sister and fashion designer
Father Terry Williams - Priest and childhood friend
Marcos - a criminals' henchman
Garth Woodman - Senior Special FBI agent
Tango, Poppa, and Lance - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.