Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 15, 2024 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Morgan is interrogated.

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Captain Howitz

by Douglas Goff


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
In the last chapter, Morgan tried to get some work done in his office and was called down to the interrogation room.

Things had changed since Morgan's last meeting with Anderson. A camera was still being used, but now they were in one of the actual police interrogation rooms, instead of the conference room like last time. IA had even made him lock up his gun.  

There were also more people. Morgan’s boss, Captain Howitz was there as expected. Plus, there was also a uniformed officer named Darrin Belzer present. 

Belzar was a good enough cop, but the man made Morgan nervous. He was a very ‘by-the-book’ cop and a bit too religious for his liking. Basically, Morgan’s polar opposite. 

“You don’t need all this, Anderson.” Morgan looked at the other men and took a seat. “I’m here to confess.” Something ain’t right. 

“Wait.” Anderson signaled Belzer.

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can not afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand these rights as I have read them to you?”

“Miranda Rights? What the hell—-“

“Detective Harper, do you understand your rights?” Belzer was insistent.  

“Of course I understand my rights, Darrin.  I’m a freaking cop.” Morgan threw his hands up in exasperation. “I don’t need to remain silent and I don’t need an attorney. I’m here to confess.”  

“To murder?” Anderson raised his eyebrows. 

“Wait. What? No! I want to take the deal you offered. I want to confess to taking the $30,000. I’ll pay it back.” 

“Detective Harper, there’s no longer a deal being offered.” Anderson took a seat and opened a file that had been on the table.

“What in God’s name is going on here, Brian?” Morgan took a seat across from the man, not liking any of this.  

Anderson took out a photo and slid it across the metal table. It was a photo of a younger Jennifer Collins. The exact same picture Morgan had just been reviewing at his desk. 

“So? She’s my case.”

“Tell me about her.” Anderson wouldn’t take his eyes off Morgan’s face. 

“I just did.” Fuck, I don’t like this. “She’s my dead hooker case. “

“I want to hear about your relationship with her.”  More intense staring. 

“Relationship?” My God, the man doesn’t even blink.  

“Word on the street is that you were having sex with her.”

Oh shit. What does he know? “Word on the street is you’re banging yourself.” 

“Answer the question, Detective. Were you sleeping with Jennifer Collins?” 

Morgan glared at the man. “Maybe we should both stop believing things we hear in dark alleys.”

Out came another photo. It too, was slid across the metal table. Morgan shook his head in disbelief. 

“Oh, so now I slept with Amy Henderson?" They’re digging. There’s no way they know about her and I. No freakin’ way. 

“You tell me. Did you have sex with Amy Henderson?”  

“Go fuck yourself, Brian.” How did my secret get out? “This interview is horseshit and you know it.”

“We heard from a certain pimp you beat up that you were sleeping with these women.” Anderson pointed at the two photos. “Why’d you assault Paco Sanchez with a hammer? Did it have something to do with these two dead girls?”  

“Maybe someone assaulted him because he’s a piece of shit criminal. And yes, I have suspicions about him for these two murders.” Morgan couldn’t stop shaking his head.  

“Were you trying to pin these crimes on him, Detective Harper? Because the evidence doesn’t point there.” Morgan could see Anderson had a copy of Tamra’s negative heroin report in his file, as well as a couple more turned over photos. 

“Where does the evidence point, Brian?” Dumb question, or I wouldn’t be sitting here right now. 

The IA Officer pointed directly at him. Another photo came out of the file. Anderson stared at it for a moment. “Pretty girl. Shame.”

Shame? Holy shit! Do they know about Kelly? But she’s not dead. It felt like an eternity as the picture slowly slid across the metal table.  

When it came to a rest in front of him, it took a moment for Morgan to realize what he was looking at. He leaned over and vomited all over the floor. The other two photos had shown the victims when they were alive. The woman in this one was not.

“Guess we got our DNA sample,” Brian Anderson had a large smirk on his face.  

“What the fuck?” The photo was of a woman lying in a pool of blood in front of a bar. It was a woman he knew, but it wasn’t Kelly. It was Vicki Vance. Her throat was cut from ear to ear. The beautiful woman’s head had nearly been removed. No! No! No! Not Vicki!

“Someone slashed her after she closed up the Hammer Stone. I had an interesting talk with Mrs. Vance's grieving husband, Steve. He said you we’re screwing his wife behind his back. Is there anyone you’re not having sex with, Detective Harper?” Anderson sighed. “Did you kill these women?”

“Officer Belzar, I think I’ll take that attorney now.”

Captain Howitz spoke for the first time since Morgan entered the room. “You’re not being arrested as of right now, Harper. The Chief wants to make sure we have our ducks in a row. But you’re being suspended indefinitely, pending further investigation. You won’t be getting your firearm back and I’ll take your badge now.”

Morgan unclipped the tin star from his belt and tossed it on the table. It had taken so much effort to earn that badge.  

“You’ve shamed this department, son. You don’t deserve to wear it.” Captain Howitz had selected Morgan for the homicide unit. He had a look of great disappointment on his face.  

“Hutch and your former homicide partners are going over your apartment with a fine-toothed comb.”

Traces of poor Vicki will be in every room. Thank God I never took any of the hookers home. 

And I’ve impounded your police sedan.” Anderson gave him an ugly knowing smile, almost as if he had been reading Morgan’s mind. “We’re already working with the DA to get a warrant for your arrest and, once we find the DNA evidence we need, you will be arrested. I’m fairly certain it’ll be in that car, aren’t you, Harper?”

Oh shit. I’m so screwed. That backseat will be a petrie dish of DNA from those prostitutes.  

“No comment, Harper?”

“Am I free to go?” I really need to get out of here.  

“Yes. For now.” Captain Howitz held the interrogation room door open for him. “Officer Belzer, escort him to his desk so he can clear it out.  Make sure you get his door cards so he can no longer enter the police station. Then escort Mister Harper from the premises. 

“Yes, Sir.”  Belzer led Morgan from the room.

 

Character/Suspect List: 

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper.

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Captain Howitz - Morgan’s boss who runs the Homicide Unit. 

Ronny Tate - Street cop who can't stand Morgan.

Darrin Belzar - Religious by-the-book street cop. 

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Hugo Chavez - Paco's thug/bodyguard.

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter. 

Ted 'Teddy' Norton - Morgan's old academy training officer. 

Steve Vance - Vicki's husband.

Vicki Vance - An old friend of Morgan and Debra’s. Murdered in her bar by the killer. 

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute.

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide. 





Okay, we are halfway done. You have been introduced to ALL of the main characters, including the serial killer. I just eliminated Vicki from your list of suspects. How generous of me. I have mainly followed my mental outline and will be looking for your guesses before the last few chapters.

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily, so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.