Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 14, 2024 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Mistakes are catching up with Morgan.

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Ronny Tate

by Douglas Goff

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
In the last chapter, Morgan exacted revenge on Paco and Hugo with a hammer in response to their assault on Kelly.

Morgan sat at his desk, staring at a framed picture of him and Debra hugging from much better times. They both looked so very happy together. It seemed like a million years ago.

I don’t see any inner demons in her eyes. No hint of sadness. No clue to her terrible decision. Why didn’t she confide in me? Why? He wiped away a tear slipping down his cheek. 

It didn’t escape him that he could easily have been looking at a picture of him and Tamra. The only physical differences were Debra’s slightly darker hair and skin tone. The identical twins’ light blue hypnotic eyes were a perfect match. 

Aside from the photo, there were several notable personality differences between the pair. Debra was the more aggressive, wilder of the twins, and was much more mischievous. She had run away to California at seventeen and hung out with a transient druggie crowd that moved from beach to beach. 

The end result was an unwanted pregnancy and Debra returned home to Seattle. A controversial abortion had caused a rift between Debra and her parents. It never really healed, even after Morgan had married her.  

Tamra, on the other hand, had been the favored child. She was always somewhat of a ‘goody two shoes’ and when she followed a law enforcement career path, it only served to broaden her parents’ favor as they looked down on Debra’s struggling career as an artist.  

The fairer sister could be aggressive at times, but had a more apparent timid side, causing her to be less experienced with men than her sister had been.  

Heck, I’ve known Tamra since high school, and I don’t ever remember her having had more than two or three boyfriends. That’s one of the reasons I really need to keep from hurting her any worse than I already have. I’m no good.  

Morgan noticed Officer Ronny Tate watching him from the hallway door.  One of the reasons he hated coming in to work was the suspicious looks he got, but Ronny had never liked him.

“Can I help you, Tate?”

“I was just wondering what happened to your face, Harper.” The man bore an obvious smirk. “Did one of those whores you like hanging out with down on Aurora finally kick your ass?”  

“Bite me, Ronny.”  

“Oh, is it some kinda big joke to you, Harper? You’re a disgrace to the badge. I hope they lock you in a cell and throw away the key.” Before Morgan could respond, the man was gone. Son of a bitch. How does Tate know about the prostitutes?  

The detective looked back at the picture of him and his wife. He laid the frame face down on his desk. He couldn’t take having Debra staring at him. Not after I slept with her sister . . . and liked it. Damnit, what is wrong with me? Okay, I’m gonna focus on work. 

Morgan popped open the two files in front of him. They were labeled Jennifer Collins and Amy Henderson. Both of the dead girl’s faces stared back at him from photos taken before they began hooking. 

What do these two have in common? Close ages. One was thirty-one and the other twenty-six. One had black hair and the other was a blond. Jennifer was a local while Amy came from the Chicago area. 

The only real commonality was they both used heroin. Not much help since most working girls in Seattle shoot up.  

The only solid lead was Paco. Jennifer had started working for the pimp about a year ago, while Amy had been with him her whole time in Seattle. Hopefully Tamra gets those test results back today.

Speak of the Devil. The cute blonde walked into the homicide office and came over to his desk. She was dressed smartly in a grey suit jacket with matching hip hugging skirt.  

“Here ya go.” She handed him a sheet of paper. 

Morgan chanced a glance at her face, but Tamra quickly looked away and turned to go.  

“Tam.” She froze in her tracks, but kept her back to him, her hands on her hips. Damn she looks good. 

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking . . . about us . . . and I just need to sort some things out.” Morgan struggled to find the right words. Damnit . . . I’m falling for her. 

“Sort some things out? You seemed to have things all sorted out the other night when you were inside me.” He wished he could see her face. 

“Tam.”

“Don’t Tam me. When you get your ‘things’ sorted out, give me a call. Until then, I don’t want you showing up on my doorstep drunk or beaten up. I’m not here to rescue you whenever you’re in trouble. I’m not a shelter for wayward men.”

“Okay.” He sighed, wishing that had gone much better than it did. 

“And Morgan, don’t wait too long. I won’t always be available.” With that, she strolled from the room, with just a hint of sass in her walk. Damn she certainly has her sister’s attitude. 

Morgan shook his head and looked at the sheet of paper Tamra had given him. Negative? He read it again. 

How can that be? I was sure that little punk, Paco, was behind this mess. How does the heroin not match? Maybe he used a difference batch on the dead girls? But he doesn’t roll in that kind of money to buy from two sources. Does he? 

Morgan closed his eyes and folded his arms behind his head. There went my only lead. Where do I go from here? 

Well, who am I trying to fool? There was one other link to both women. But nobody knows about it but me. 

“Captain wants to see you down in the interrogation room.” Hutch had come in while Morgan had his eyes closed. “ASAP.”

“Captain Howitz?”

“Yep.” Hutch looked grim. “Please don’t tell me you engaged in more dumbfuckory?”

“I won’t tell you.” Morgan shrugged. “Why the interrogation room?”

“Not sure but, Morgan, Brian Anderson is there, too. I don’t think it’s good.”  

“I was supposed to meet with IA next week anyways. Wonder what this is all about?” Morgan shrugged. “I guess there’s only one way to find out.”

Morgan rose and grabbed his jacket. He nodded at Hutch as he left. 

“Good luck, buddy,” Hutch frowned. 
 

Character/Suspect List: 

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide.  

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper.

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Hugo Chavez - Paco's thug/bodyguard.

Ronny Tate - Street cop who can't stand Morgan.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter. 

Steve Vance - Vicki's husband.

Ted 'Teddy' Norton - Morgan's old academy training officer. 

Vicki Vance - An old friend of Morgan and Debra’s.

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute.





I was trying to make it look like Morgan was having a conversation with himself in his head, but I did not quite hit the mark.

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily, so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.