General Fiction posted March 10, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
In World War 1 European battlefields were ferocious.

Front Line Runner

by Barry Penfold


"Corporal, take this letter to Captain Taylor, Third Battalion. They are currently on the front line."

"Yes Sir. Do I need to wait for a reply?"

"Yes, I think it better that you do. I am keen to know his decision as quickly as possible."

"Sir, I have a way of cutting down the time it will take."

"You do. Well that sounds promising. May I ask how you will achieve this time saving?"

"Yes Sir. I have been running the front line for nearly twelve months and have an excellent knowledge of just where the enemy are located. They also, unwittingly, have provided a route which is quicker and safer."

"Excellent corporal. I must say, I am amazed you are still alive. Clearly, it is one of the most dangerous jobs in this infernal war."

"Well, I am pretty quick Sir and God has seen fit to keep the bullets away. Although, there have been several times I expected to have a number of bullets up my ass. My time up, so to speak."

"Yes indeed corporal. If God is on your side, then I look forward to seeing you again. Perhaps we could discuss utilizing your knowledge to improve our strategies in the field. Go now corporal, Godspeed."

"Yes sir. I will look forward to our chat. Perhaps a drop of rum as well?"

"That corporal will be my pleasure. And perhaps one for God."






Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


This story is a small tribute to my grandfather, who was a front line runner in World War 1. Unlike many others, he returned home to Australia and received the Military Medal for bravery. He rarely spoke about the horrors he witnessed.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.