Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 9, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Don't come home for Christmas my mother said.

Don't Come!

by Robert Reischl

"DON'T COME!" my mother said at Christmas. 
It is too dangerous, so don't come! --she warned. 
After everyone abandoned the dormitories and the hallways at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology echoed, cavernously, after everyone abandoned the campus and went home for Christmas. 
Like Ebenezer Scrooge's mansion, then, the hallway echoed like I was the last person there, because I was!
I was the living soul, at Christmas, and my footsteps in the hallways at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology resonated the way they resonate when you were the last person on Earth.
Doors clanged SHUT with sound of 'You're the only one left', and as my Charles Dicken's Christmas and the hallways echoed with such an alone, a totally alone cavernousness, like Ebenezer Scrooge's cold lonely mansion at Christmas. The only thing missing were the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and in the Future when my mother said "Don't come because it is too dangerous!" 
As the Christmas lights hung in the absense of all stimuli, and Connelly Hall at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology was sensory chamber where the doors banged-shut like I was the last person on Earth, because everyone was home at Christmas. 
I couldn't take it! Then I couldn't take it, I had to because I couldn't take it. 
As my footsteps in the hallways resonated and echoed like I was the last one, there was NO ONE ELSE! I was the last one. 
What is the importance of it, and the  value? What is the importance and the value of  hearing the sound and noise of people coming and going? I know it. 
I know what the importance and the value of hearing the sound and noise of people coming and going, I know what it is now. It keeps you sane. 
After my mother said "Don't come!" because it is too dangerous. 
My car with bald tires on snow-covered highways, do you believe in Christmas miracles? I do now. 
As my footsteps in the hallways resonated and echoed like I was last person on Earth at Christmas, and I couldn't take it, then I couldn't take it. 
I decided to risk it at Christmas and drive home on snow-covered highways with bald tires. Do you believe in Christmas miracles? 
As my Charles Dicken's Christmas and the only thing missing were the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and in the Future while doors banged-shut with the abandon of...
'You are the only one' who didn't go home for Christmas at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. 
As snowdrifts drifted and the wind chill factor was the same as the dark of the Moon, do you believe in Christmas miracles? I do. 
When their taillights went-on into the distance and abandoned me, I watched their taillights abandon on Christmas. 
"DON'T COME! Because it is too dangerous" my mother said. 
Is there happy ending to my Charles Dicken's-like Christmas? 
Did the bald tires on snow-covered highways still miraculously, like the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and in the Future, did they miraculously SOMEHOW! 
After I watched their taillights go on into the distance on Christmas, after my mother told me don't come, because it is too dangerous. 
Do you believe in Christmas miracles? I do.  
 
 



True Story Contest contest entry


I couldn't take it. I couldn't take the sound of being the only one, at Christmas, who didn't go home.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Robert Reischl All rights reserved.
Robert Reischl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.