General Fiction posted March 8, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A story about me traveling in New Zealand.

Just Me at the KFC

by Melanie White


            I am thirsty.  I have been thirsty for many, many miles.  I can taste how good a cool drink of water would be right now.  I think of how much I could drink as I swallow some spit that doesn’t satisfy the dryness in my mouth.

            I look out the window.  It is dark and water droplets are chasing each other down the glass.  Normally I would watch them race and try to predict which one would reach the bottom first, but now all I can think is that I would like to lick the drops off the glass and feel the wetness on my tongue.

            The bus begins to slow, and I know we are coming into the town of Gisborne.  I put on my raincoat and wait on the other passengers ahead of me.

            When it is my turn, I descend the steps.  I watch as the other passengers are greeted by friends and family who are expecting them and happy to see them.  I don’t feel the usual pang of regret that nobody is waiting for me.  I am getting used to it.  My main concern is finding my backpack.

            I see it sprawled out on the damp sidewalk, waiting for me.  I resent the driver for putting it there and hope that water hasn’t soaked the clothes inside it.

            I pick up the load and struggle to get both hands through the straps.  It is almost too much for me and covers most of my back.  I realize that I look like a turtle with such a big backpack.

            I consider asking the bus driver for directions to the youth hostel, but he looks busy.  So instead I consult my map under the station light, and then I strike out on my own.

            At the first street I come to it is too dark to read the sign.  I miss the street lights that are so common back home.  I walk on.  The mist turns into a steady drizzle, and I find it impossible to put my hood up.  It is trapped beneath my backpack.  I stick my tongue out to try to catch some drops but with no luck.

            After walking several blocks, I realize I have no idea where I am or which way to go.  But still I walk on.  I am beginning to get worried that I will not find the hostel and will have no place to sleep tonight.

            At the next block, I peer both ways to see if there might be some kind of clue that will help me in my search.  And lo and behold, there like a beacon burning bright, is a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the distance with its candy stripes beckoning me.

            I walk toward the light.  I am sure someone there can give me directions.  As I enter, the warmth and the smell of fried chicken remind me of home.  Since I am so thirsty, I figure I can kill two birds with one stone, so I order some juice because I don’t have enough money for any chicken.

            The girl at the counter says to me, “Just juice?”

            “Just juice.,” I reply.

            We chuckle since “Just Juice” is also the brand name for the juice I just bought.

            “Well, not really.  I do need something else.  I also need to know if you can tell me how to get to the youth hostel on Cook Street.”  I show her my map, and she points out the way.  It seems complicated and a long way from the KFC.  I think of how my boyfriend back home would laugh if he knew I was trying to find my way by reading a map.  But I don’t see that I have any other choice, so I decide to head out.

            As I am leaving, the girl behind the counter says to me, “Your shoelace is untied.”

            I look down and see that I better take care of it before I go.  So I bend over to put my juice down so I can tie my shoe, and my backpack knocks me over.  I know I must look like a helpless turtle on its back as my backpack is so heavy I can’t get up.

A couple who have just come in feel sorry for me and help me get the backpack off so I can get up.

            “Where you headed?” the man asks.

            “The youth hostel on Cook Street,” I reply.

            “We’re headed that way if you want a lift.”  The woman volunteers.

            Relieved I say, “Thank you very much.  I would really appreciate it.”

            So I wait for them to get their chicken and then venture out to their car with them.  The man carries my backpack for me.  As I get in the back seat, two poodles climb all over me, but I figure it sure beats walking on a rainy night.  And as we pull away from the KFC, I know this is as close to home as I’m going to get for a long time.




True Story Contest contest entry


In my early 20s, I got a scholarship to study in New Zealand. Every chance I got, I would visit a different place in the country, and this is the story of one of the things that happened to me while I was traveling.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Melanie White All rights reserved.
Melanie White has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.