General Fiction posted March 8, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Murphy goes into his detective mode

Murphy P.I.

by Gunner Lil


Murphy, a gray cat, woke when the afternoon sunlight peeked through the window of the family room. He arched his back, stretched his limbs and flexed his stiff joints. When he stopped he heard not a sound. Being the detective he is he began his tour of the house.
 
The kitchen is the best place to start, he thought. Oh my word, no dishes on the counter.
He leaped up to the counter and looked in the sink. Nothing there. Everything was in placed. He jumped back down to the floor. Purr, the multi-color dish towel is still neatly tucked on the oven door handle.
 
Using his right rear paw Murphy scratched behind his right ear in deep thought. What's going on? That over-grown hound they call Rex isn't even sniffing around me. I better search some more. He trotted down the hardwood floor of the hallway making sure his claws didn't make any noise. Reaching what his owners called 'The Special Room' he got in the prone position. He crawled slowly to each corner of the livingroom and found nothing to give him a clue. To get a better view he leaped onto the hearth of the fireplace. What gives? The little human girl's storybook is still on that wooden table.
 
Now perplexed he ran straight to the little girl's room. Again everything was in place. Even the toys Amanda plays with. Murphy, the private eye, inched his way under her bed and found a thing that she called tights. Using his teeth he latched on to the thing and backed out from under the bed. He saw that the white tights had green grass stains all over it. I hope she didn't get hurt playing outdoors this morning.

Having worked up an appetite he returned to the family room where his vittles and water bowl were.What! No water. No food. I'll just go to that small room with the big white bowl. I need water. Murphy made his way to the small bathroom and with little effort opened the door. Looking at the big bowl he saw it was closed. Nice, they closed the top so I don't fall in.
 
 
He returned to the family room and remembered that Rex had a water bowl outside. Murphy went to the kitchen where the door the dog used to get in and out of the house was. It took four healthy pushes to get his body through the doggie door and outside. He lapped up what warm water there was still in the bowl when Jessie, a Calico cat from next door came and stood next to Murphy.
 
"What are you doing outside?"
 
"No water or food in the house. No humans around."
 
"My humans just filled my bowls. You can have some," Jessie purred. "Some, not all."
 
"Hey, thanks. All I need is a mouth full."
 
Jessie and Murphy ran under the fence that separated the two backyards. Murphy ate some food and drank more cool water.
 
Murphy licked the top of Jessie's head as a thank you.
 
"So, just what are you doing out here? You never come outside." Jessie gestured to a pile of wood stacked in his backyard. "Some chipmunks in that pile. Want to play with them? We can have some fun."
 
Murphy looked at the pile and shook his head. "I need to find my humans. No one is home, not even Rex."
 
Jessie took a lap of water and sat next to Murphy. "You don't know what happened outside with Rex?"
 
"Of course not. That's why I've been searching the house up and down. What did Rex do?"
 
"Rex was chasing something near that pile of hay and leaves in your yard."
 
"So?"
 
"My human said that he got bit by a thin, long thing they call a Cottonmouth snake." Jessie purred louder. "Your humans took him some place to get fixed."
 
Murphy hissed and his claws raked the ground. "We need to get that Cottonmouth thing out of my yard. We can't let it hurt Amanda."
 
"Hey listen, I can catch a chipmunk and even a squirrel, but no long, thin thing that put the hurtin' to Rex." Jessie walked to be in the shade of a large Maple tree.
 
Murphy began to rub both of his front paws over his face in deep thought. After some time he ran up to Jessie and purred. "I got it. That thing would never think we are a threat. We don't bark and we're small."
 
"Yeah, that's it. We're small."
 
"We got super sharpe claws and neddle point teeth," Murphy showed off his teeth. "That thing hurt my pet dog. I can't let it hurt Amanda. Will you help me? It can't be faster then a chipmunk." 
 
Jessie bigger than Murphy was fast but older. He laid down to think. Yeah we can't let the little human get hurt.
 
"Got a plan"
 
"Yeah. We need a decoy called a chipmunk. We toss it in the pile. It'll run all around and the thing will come out." Murphy walked over to the wood pile. "You attack it from the rear. I'll go for the front."
 
With two decoys Murphy turned his plan into action. The snake became confused and tryed to slither away. Murphy and Jessie kept up their attack.
 
Murphy's human saw the commotion in the backyard and grabbed a lawn rake and caught the snake. He quickly disposed of it.
 
Murphy licked Jessie head again and ran through the opened kitchen door to find Rex.
 
"We got the thing that hurt you." Murphy laid next to Rex and took a cat nap.
 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gunner Lil All rights reserved.
Gunner Lil has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.