Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 6, 2024 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Dinner with Tam.

A chapter in the book Guilt-Stained Badge

Tamra Burns

by Douglas Goff

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
In the last chapter a second prostitute, Amy Henderson, was found dead. Both victims were missing their earrings.

Morgan was immediately apprehensive when Tamra answered the door in a sexy red body-hugging cocktail dress. “Where’s Kevin?“

This brought an immediate frown to the short woman’s face, followed by her eyes moistening. She grabbed Morgan’s hand and pulled him into her apartment. 

“We broke up last month. He claimed I was married to my job and said there was no room for him.”  

Once inside, she sat Morgan down at an already prepared table, the aroma bringing a smile to his face. “Smells good.”  

Tamra had made pot roast and potatoes, his favorite. They ate it with a bottle of red wine. He tried to focus on the meal and not look at the woman.  

“What happened between you and Kevin? I thought you two were solid.”

“Ha! Solid? He was a momma’s boy. He’s the last insurance salesman I ever date. You know, he had a great body and worked out a lot, but I don’t think he got me off even once in the past year.” She noticed the look on Morgan’s face. “Sorry, that was too much information. Let’s just say he wasn’t my type. Besides, I’ll stay Tamra Burns. Could you imagine if we had married? I’d be Tamra Namra.”

They both chuckled. 

“You two really did seem like a perfect match.” Morgan shrugged.  

“A match that burnt out.” She sighed. “It came to a head when he bought two tickets for a Caribbean Cruise without asking me. I obviously couldn’t go with this dead prostitute case firing off.”   

When they finished dinner, he helped Tamra clear the table and load the dishwasher.

“So what’d you want to talk about?” He grimaced because he knew the answer to his own question. 

“Can we move to the couch?” She seemed nervous now.

“Sure.”  

Tamra grabbed his hand and led him to the living room. He couldn’t help but notice how tightly the little red dress clung to her firm buttocks. Stop it, Morg. It’s Tamra.  

When they were sitting comfortably, she poured him a whiskey. He tried hard to focus on the glass. Looking into her eyes hurt.  

“So, this isn’t easy to discuss, but what’s going on with you at work? There’s a lot of talk. Rumors going about.” She was still holding his hand.

“You’re talking about the missing $30,000?”

“Yes, Morgan.” She squeezed his hand supportively. “Did you really take it?”

Morgan let out a long breath. “Shit, Tam. You know I took it. Everyone does.”  

“Yes. I guess I needed to hear it from you.” She let out her own long sigh.  “Why would you do that, Morgan? Why? I know you don’t need the money.  I know you and Debra had a half million dollars of life insurance on each other. So why would you take $30,000 you didn’t need?”

“I don’t know. I guess I did it to see if I could get away with it.” He put his head back on her couch. “How did you know about the life insurance policies?”  

“Debra told me everything.  There was nothing we didn’t share.” She squeezed his hand again. “So, who over at IA is investigating it?”  

“Brian Anderson.”  

“Your classmate? Interesting.” She scrunched up her face in contemplation. 

“ I don’t know how interesting it is.” Morgan pulled his hand free and took a long slug of booze. “We used to be friends, but now he has become consumed by jealousy. All he can think about is beating me.”  

“Everyone at the department knows you met with Internal Affairs this week. Did you learn anything?”

Another long pull at his drink. “Anderson offered me a deal.”

“What kind of deal?” She refilled his glass from the crystal decanter on the coffee table.  

“He said if I confess, and returned the money, then I would be suspended and probably terminated. But, there would be no criminal charges.”

“Ummm . . . sounds like a decent deal. What’re you planning on doing?”

He frowned again. It was becoming a common habit for him. “Anderson gave me thirty days to think it over, but what choice do I really have? They pretty much have me. I’m going to accept his offer and let the chips fall where they may.”

“That seems like the smart play.” 

“This is depressing. Can we talk about something else?”

Tamra rose and began to pace nervously. “Can we discuss Debra?”  

“Out of the pan and into the fire, Tam? I really don’t want to discuss her.“ He slammed back his entire full glass of whiskey, which she quickly refilled.  

“This isn’t about you. We all lost someone dear to us. It hurt everyone that knew her. I need to discuss it.”

Why? “Okay, so talk.”  

“Do you dream about her?”

Morgan caught his breath, unable to answer.  

“I do. I see her. Swinging from that center beam in your living room. It haunts me.“ Tears flowed down her checks. 

“How did you know she hung herself from the center beam?” 

“I borrowed the file from the coroner’s office. I needed to know what happened.” Big sobs racked her tiny body.  

Morgan rose and hugged the anguished Tamra. “Yes. I have the same dream.”  

“I just feel so damn guilty.” The distraught woman cried freely now. “And you won’t even look at me. “

“I just can’t, Tam. It’s too painful. It physically hurts.”

“We used to be so close, Morgan. Maybe too close. I know you felt it too. Even when Debra was alive.  There was a connection between us. A spark.”

“Yes.”  

Tamra grabbed his chin and pulled his face down towards her. “Look at me, Morgan.”

“I can’t.” He squeezed his eyes shut like a child.

“Look at me, Morgan. I need you to.” He felt her sweet warm breath on his face, followed by a soft tender little kiss on his lips. 

His eyes popped open in surprise and he found himself staring into the electric blue eyes of his dead wife. Her skin and hair tone were slightly lighter, but the bone structure and gorgeous magnetic eyes were the same. He didn’t even notice her long silver strand earrings. Those eyes had him. 

There was no turning back now. He shoved his mouth against her warm soft pliant lips in a much more passionate kiss. His wife’s identical twin sister went limp in surrender as their tongues intertwined. 

Morgan’s hands found that perfect firm butt and pulled up her cumbersome red party dress exposing her matching red thong. Morgan gripped her cheeks firmly as he broke their lip lock. “God I really missed you, Debra.”

He felt the woman tense against him, then vehemently push away. “I’m Tamra!”

“Shit.” Morgan rubbed his eyes, the magic of her gaze broken. “I’m so sorry, Tam. I told you I can’t look at your face. I’m a mess. Forgive me.”

“Just go, Morgan. Please just go.” Sobbing, she made her way into her bedroom and slammed the door. He heard it lock.  

Morgan stood silently for a moment, his head hanging low. Oh God please help me. I nearly slept with my sister-in-law. I need to feel numb. He grabbed his glass and downed the whiskey, then let himself out.

CHARACTER/SUSPECT LIST

Homicide Detective Morgan Harper - The heavily faulted main character who never recovered from the suicide of his wife.  

Kelly Pierson - a young, new to the game, prostitute who is frequented by Detective Morgan. 

Debra Harper - Morgan’s deceased wife who committed suicide.  

Tamra Burns- a crime scene technician who is Debra's identical twin.

Internal Affairs Officer Brian Anderson - Investigating Morgan Harper  

Homicide Detective Hutch Kelly - Morgan’s partner. 

Doctor Millison Parker - Morgan’s psychiatrist.

Paco Sanchez - A local pimp and street thug.

Mac Yung- Aggressive reporter.

Jennifer Collins - The first victim prostitute. 

Amy Henderson - The second victim prostitute. 





This chapter took longer for me but turned out better than I expected.

This story is a graphic and gritty crime novel. Do NOT read this if you do not like harsh reads.

I can not promote daily on this so if you are one of my two free reviewers please correct something!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.