General Non-Fiction posted March 6, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Wednesday dinner

Hanger Steak, Veg and Beer

by jmdg1954


Wednesday is jokingly known as Hump Day, the mid-point of our work week. Though I'm working today, I promised my wife and son I would cook dinner. My plan was to do a "twist" on a meal my mother would make. 

Before I get started, I turn on the kitchen stereo unit and in recognition to Debbie D'Arcy for her poem featuring The Who, I'm cooking to the rock opera ... Tommy! 
 

Grilled Hanger Steak served with ….

Green Beans, Potatoes & Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS:

  *  1 pound fresh green beans
  *  1 1/2 pounds of potatoes
  *  2-3 tablespoons of chopped garlic
  *  4/5 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
  *  Oregano to taste 
  *  Extra virgin olive oil
  *  Salt $ Pepper to taste

  *  2 medium vidalia onion cut in rings 

  *  2 1/2 - 3 pounds of hanger steak

METHOD:

1) Snip each end of the green beans, then drop them into salted boiling water. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until they are semi-crisp. Remove from the boiling water and give them an ice bath to hinder further cooking.

2) Clean the potatoes. Leaving the skin on, drop them into a pot of boiling salted water. Cook them for 16-18 minutes. Remove from the water and let them cool. Once cooled, peel and cut into large cubes. DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER OR THE POTATO SKINS.

 *** Spread out the potato skins on a paper towel to absorb moisture and dry. These will be used later.

3) In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sautee the garlic in the olive oil, be sure to add a sprinkle of salt $ pepper.

  (Remember, salt $ pepper is like free money, they enhance flavor and draws out flavor)

4) Add the chopped tomatoes to the sauteed garlic. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Then add two ladles of the saved hot water from the potatoes. 
 

NOTE : this water contains starch from the potatoes which will enhance flavor and provide moisture.

5) Next add the potatoes, green beans and oregano. Add salt $ pepper to taste.

Let it season and cook for 10 to 15 minutes over a low heat. Stir occasionally being careful not to smash the potatoes.

GRILLING:

1) While the green beans, potaotoes and tomatoes are simmering, its time to grill the steaks.  Grabbing the steaks from the refridgerator and the cold Guiness placed beside it, to the grill we go which has already been pre-heated (you NEVER NEVER NEVER want to place a steak on a cold grill).

2) Brush the steak with olive oil, generously season with salt $ pepper and gently place them on the grill. Listen for that beautiful sound of the sizzle! Hmm, hmm, hmm.

3) After a nice char (not burnt) on one side, flip them over. Hanger steak is normally on the thinner side, so the cooking time should not be to long. The same approximate time it takes to slowly enjoy the 16oz Guiness.

NOTE : A hanger steak (US), is prized for its flavor and tenderness. Sometimes known as butcher's steak or skirt steak, at one time it was never sold because it came from the cows under belly and thought of as a crude meat. Little did they know how delicious it is...

 
When the hanger steak is cooked to the doneness of your liking, remove it from the grill and let it "rest" for five minutes.

As the steak is resting, place the potato skins and vidalia onions in a bowl and generously salt them. Then, drop this into a counter top deep fryer and cook until golden brown. 

Once the steak has rested, cut and plate the steak and add a generous helping of the deliciously warm green bean, potato and tomato mixture. Place the golden brown onion and potato skins on top of the steak.
 

Grab your beverage of choice and you are ready to enjoy. 
 




Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.