Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 1, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A brief essay on writing

The Ineluctability of Words

by Aisha Robins


It was going to be a good day for writing â?" I could feel it. This was in spite of facing a 12-hour flight from San Antonio to Anchorage with a stop in Minneapolis.

The month before, I had begun working with an idea for a short story that was born from words I used to describe an image that popped into my head: "The high noon sun hit the silvered AMOCO sign a glancing blow and flattened the wide-open Texas landscape in all directions."

Ideas and writing are mutually ineluctable.

The characters showed up and introduced themselves and we hit it off right away. I groped (typed/edited) my way through learning their vocabulary, their humor, their perspectives and thought processes, and how they related to each other and their lives. I was eager to play. Ideas morphed, swelled, and shrank and I eagerly â?" enthusiastically â?" wrote options that might fit the through-line. Then I adjusted them for a tentative fit with my characters' personalities and goals, and generally amused myself. I might not use any of this! In fact, losing the fear of leaving words, sentences, and whole paragraphs "on the cutting room floor" has been a huge boost to staying in the flow.

Back at home, six days later, I can still feel the "hangover" of that writing spree. I was so "in the zone" when in the Minneapolis airport, I had to speed-walk to the gate area. By the time the plane landed in Anchorage, it had been a nine-hour write-a-thon, seven hours of which were at 35,000 feet. The flow of creative energy was energizing -- and exhausting. And indescribably delicious!
While in Anchorage, I heard about a man's 600-mile, three-month rafting trip on the Yukon River in northern Alaska: high winds, rain, bugs, isolation, more bugs, more rain (to hear tell, in the league of 40 days and 40 nights), and coming through the experience a changed person.

When I write in the zone, I am on that kind of river adventure. I watch for ideas hiding with bears and moose in deep woods along the bank. I listen for dialect and "tone" as if from warblers darting through treetops. I honor pauses in dialogue, allowing them to speak louder than words, as when a spear of sunlight silently pierces the canopy of old-growth trees, lighting a path between mounds of deadfall. Bugs and wind be damned. No isolation for me, with a story peopled with characters diverse and ever-changing.

And every time I take a deep breath and realize I have reached a temporary point of departure from my laptop, I know I am a writer: valiant, tested, newly improved, and well-travelled.



Writing writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story or essay with the topic of "writing". Can be instructional or a character in the story can be a writer. Creative approaches welcomed.


Ah, being in the flow!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aisha Robins All rights reserved.
Aisha Robins has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.