Humor Fiction posted February 14, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It's good to have a fresh point ov view.

Barnyard Philosophy

by Jake P.


Professor Neville Sorensen walked into his  Philosohy classroom and all the students fell silent. He was well known for his deep insights and unwavering focus during lectures. He marched to the chalkboard and wrote Paul Sartre in large letters and circled it.

“I assume you all have read the assignment and are ready to discuss existentialism knowledgeably.”

A few of the students looked pale, and the professor smiled to himself.

“One of Sartre’s points is that individuals are free agents responsible for their own choices and actions. For those among you that have chosen to omit reading today’s assignment, fear not. I will call upon only those brave souls who raise their hands with questions and comments.”

There was laughter in the audience.

The door in the back of the room opened and a young man in a cowboy hat, jeans, and muddy boots stepped inside. Everyone turned at the intrusion. The youngster whispered to a nearby student, “Is this English 204?”

The student answered with a chuckle, “No, this is Philosopy 301.”

Professor Sorensen called over, “Please have a seat young man so we can proceed.”

The boy took a seat in the back.

 Walking to the podium, he placed the notes for the lecture in front of himself.

“For those who did not read the assignment, it’s one of Sarte’s essential points.  He called it individual freedom and responsibility.”

A voice from the back of the room said, “Like my Pa said, ‘you can lead a horse to water, but ya can’t make him drink.”

It was the farm boy who had entered late. Professor Sorensen was frowning when he spoke.

“Young man…”

The boy interrupted, “Sorry, sir. My name’s Billy.”

“Billy, then, please raise your hand if you wish to speak. Even so, your old cliche is right. It’s the horse’s choice to drink or not to drink. Point well made.”

He strode to the board and wrote ‘Existence Precedes Essence’.

“Can anyone tell me what that means?”

The boys hand shot into the air.

“Yes?”

“Is it like the chicken and the egg puzzle? Which one came first.”

“Not exactly, it states that individuals first exist and then define their essence through their actions and choices. As opposed to a predetermined purpose for someone, they must create their own meaning through their decisions.”

“I get it. Like a man’s got to pull himself up by his own boot straps.”

“Yes, that’s the idea, but the decisions a person makes and the actions he takes during his lifetime define him.”

Back at the board he wrote, ‘Radical Freedom’.

“This suggests we are ultimately responsible for our own existence and choices. With freedom comes the burden of responsibility, and we must take ownership of our actions and the consequences that follow.”

Again the raised hand.

“Yes, Billy?”

“Excuse me, sir, but ain’t life just like a stubborn mule?  You might pull him hard on the reigns to get him to do what you want, but it makes him mad. Then he just might kick you in the face.”

This time the laughter in the classroom erupted in a loud chorus.

Professor Sorensen nodded.

“My point exactly.”

He added to the board,’Existential Angst and Despair’.

“By this Sartre means the anxiety and anguish that individuals may experience when confronted with the freedom to define their own lives and the inherent uncertainty of the human condition. Sartre believed that facing this existential dread could lead to a deeper understanding of oneself and the world.”

Billy raised his hand again, and the professor acknowledged him with a nod.
 

“That’s a good observation, Billy, but say you did pick that apple and bit into it and found there was no worm. Just a delightful taste. You make a choice, and sometimes there’s a worm and sometimes just a delightful satisfaction. You have learned from your choices a lot about yourself and that apple tree.”

He looked at his watch and noted the hour was almost up.

“Billy, can you summarize what we’ve learned about Sartre’s message today”

“I think it’s like planting seed in the soil, watching’ it grow into whatever it darn well pleases, showing’ us that life ain’t just about where you start, but whether you end up bloomin’ and producing a good crop?”

Professor Sorensen couldn’t help but smile realizing that sometimes, in a refreshing way, philosophy can best be summarized by simple farmyard insight.

After class, Billy approached the professor.

“Sir, I’m sorry I interrupted your lesson today. I was supposed to be in English class, but I liked this one. I shouldn’t have been here. I won’t bother you again.”

“Billy, I want you to go to admissions and rearrange your schedule. I want you to take English as you’re supposed to, but I want you enrolled in this class too. Your insights are imaginative and inspiring.”

After Billy was gone, the professor said to himself.

“Forrest Gump was right, ‘Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.”
 
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jake P. All rights reserved.
Jake P. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.