Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 4, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is a sad time in Lucille;s life.

A chapter in the book At Home in Mississippi

Devastating News

by BethShelby


Although, Lucille had missed her period and hoped it meant she was pregnant, she didn’t have time to think about telling anyone. The following day, one of her older half-brothers, Henry, showed up at her door with some devastating news. Her dad, who was 78 and had been in declining health for the last year, had suffered a massive heart attack that morning.
 
“Sis, it doesn’t look good. He’s conscious, but the doctor isn’t giving us much hope he will make it. He was out in the barn when it happened. Your mama heard him yell out, and she managed to get him into the house. We’ve all tried to get him to slow down, but he just wouldn’t. He says if it’s his time, he’s ready to go. He wouldn’t let us take him to hospital. The doctor came out to the house and gave him something for pain.
 
Lucille burst into tears and fell into Henry’s outstretched arms, sobbing into his shoulder.
 
“Oh no, I’m not ready for this. I need to go to him. We had him and Mama over just last Sunday for lunch.” Tears rolled down her cheek as she asked, “How’s Mama holding up? “
 
“You know your mama, Lucille, she’s strong. She's been through this before when she lost her first husband. She had to be tough to marry a man with nine kids and two of her own. She’s staying right there with him. Alma and Nanny are over there helping. Are you going to be alright? You’re taking this pretty hard. I’ll take you over there, now, if you want me to, but there’s nothing you can do. Why don’t you get Glover to bring you over after work.”
 
Lucille and Glover drove over that evening. Her dad had his eyes closed. He looked peaceful and not in pain. “Papa, can you hear me? she asked through her tears. He squeezed her hand. The room was full of people so they didn’t stay long. All of his children who lived in the surrounding area were there. Two of his daughters and three of his sons had moved to Port Arthur, Texas a couple of years before hoping to get jobs at the Texas company Oil refinery there.
 
Her father passed away peacefully the following day. Lucille was his last child and she adored him. She was an emotional wreck for days following the funeral. In addition to all his children, he had 29 grandchildren. The funeral had been huge. They had waited until all of his children from Texas had arrived.
 
Glover realized his wife was fragile and tried to be on his best behavior. He could be caring when he made the extra effort. He loved her. There had never been another girl for him, but sometimes he just didn’t understand her. He hadn’t known how sensitive she was before. He wondered if she would cry that much if he died.
 
The trauma wasn’t over. There was the problem of what to do about Lucille’s mother.
 
“Mama, you can’t stay in that big old house by yourself. You’re going to have to live with one of your children. You know you’re welcome to come to Texas and live with me and Aline.” Newman told her. “If you don’t want to leave Newton, you could live with Harry and Christine or Lucille and Glover, but you can’t stay here by yourself. You can’t take care of this farm. You don’t have a car or any way to get out. The kids need to divide up what they want from here and sell this place. It needs to be done right away. Don’t you even think about trying to stay here.”
 
Glover kept his mouth shut. Surely with his house unfinished, she wouldn’t be able to live with him and Lucille. Harry and Christine lived in an older house and had plenty of room for her. It only made sense that she live with them.
 
Annie Jane sighed. She saw the wisdom of what he was saying, but she didn’t like it. She wanted her independence. All her life, she had done what she had to do. She’d cooked and cleaned and taken care of children and had never had any time for herself.
 
When her first husband died, she’d dreamed of moving nearer to town and opening her own business. She thought she would like to sell hats, and maybe do some seamstress work on the side. A month after his funeral, she’d realized she was pregnant again, so that dream had gone out the window. In need of financial security, she’d accepted Mr. Lay’s proposal, even though he was twenty years her senior. He was kind, and they’d had a decent life, but she’d never felt comfortable calling him, Bob. To her, he would always be Mr. Lay.
 
In the end, Annie Jane had packed her clothes into a suitcase and agreed to go with Harry and Christine for now. At fifty-eight, it was too late for her to try to go out on her own. What did she know of running a business. When she was young, girls only went to school through fifth grade. She could read and write, but getting a decent education had never been an option.
 
All of Robert Lay’s nine older children divided up the things from the house which were important to them. Lucille got the piano, a love seat, a claw foot hall tree, some small tables and her mother’s sewing machine, since Christine already owned a sewing machine. Most of the other pieces of furniture went to Christine and Harry, and what no one wanted was stored in their barn.
 
The house and land were sold, and the profits were split twelve ways. No one got enough to make a difference in their life. Lucille used her portion to seal the living and dining area and purchase some nice flooring to cover those rooms. She and Glover did the work of laying it.
 
She planned to keep that new floor waxed smooth and shiny. If there was a baby on the way, it would be able to crawl without getting splinters in its knees.

Robert B. Lay (Bob) is Lucille's father. He has 9 children by his first marriage, two by his marriage to Lucille's mothe, and two step-children who are Lucille half siblings my her mother first marriage.
Ann Jane is Lucille's mother  she is married to Robert Lay her second husband. Christine, Eugene, Newman and Lucille are her children.
Newman Lay is Lucille's only sibling with the same mother and father. He live in Texas with Aline his wife.
Henry Lay is a half brother and son of her father.   Alma and Nanny are also half sister with the same father.  
Chirstine is Ann Jane's oldest daughter by her frist marriage  She is married to Harry Williams who Aline's brother.
Glover and Lucille are the main characters in the part of the book.
 
PHOTO:  Bob Lay  bottom right with five of sons   Henry Lay: standing second from right



Recognized


Glover and Lucille have been married four years. They live in Newton, Mississippi in the late 1930. The house is still only partly finished. This segment shows interaction with other of Lucille's family members.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.