Horror and Thriller Fiction posted February 4, 2024 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Political webs and the nature of policing.

A chapter in the book Lair Of The Seductress

Trouble

by Douglas Goff


Previous Chapter:

A truck driver had an unfortunate encounter with the mysterious Lilith. She killed three men the year before while Greg was dealing with the hag. Now she is back with a vengeance and Wolf Bend Chief Greg Harsen is called to the scene by FBI Agent David Harkins, a man who really doesn't like him. What he finds awakens him to the realization that more bad things are coming for him and his little town. Further, Harkins managed to wrangle him into Task Force Ash, which was created to capture the killer. 

New Chapter:

First thing the following morning, Greg had an agitated visitor waiting for him in his office. 

“You’re not dragging your department into anything I’m going to regret, are you Chief?” Mayor Whittis gave him an apprehensive look. “I mean your last big caper ended with two of your three new vehicles heavily damaged.              

“Well, there’s a glass half empty, Mayor. Seems you forgot how this department saved five abducted women. We finally had some positive press.” Greg winked at the man. 

“Yeah, great, but no arrest. No culprit in cuffs to parade our success in front of the cameras.” Calvin winced. “Come on, Greg. You know it’s election year and I’m in a super tight race with that crazy alien lady, Sally Benslow.

“I told you that the intern, Lizbeth Nypan, drugged those women and—--”

“Killed herself before you could arrest her.” The mayor interrupted, rolling his eyes. “Once you got the ladies to safety, and went back for her body, it magically disappeared. This is Washington, Chief. The bears and wolves eat everything. You should’ve stayed with her body until backup arrived.”

“Nobody was coming in that freak snow storm. The ladies’ safety was paramount.” Greg sighed. 

“Just promise me you’ll keep us clean on that trucker murder.”

“Clean?”

“Yes. The governor agreed that you’re to act strictly as an advisor on Task Force Ash and nothing more. If we get a victim in our jurisdiction then we can revisit this conversation. Understood?” Mayor Calvin Whittis raised his eyebrows. 

“Completely.” 

“Clean,” Calvin reiterated. 

“As a whistle, Mr. Mayor.”

“Promise?”

“You have my word.”

“Okay. Moving on to the real reason for my visit. Are you familiar with Grayson Lumber?” Mayor Whittis questioned. 

“Somewhat. Don’t they own the giant abandoned mill just south of town?”

“Yes, that’s the one. All four city blocks worth of it. Seems there have been reports of some activity out there.”

“Activity? I thought it was abandoned.” Greg frowned. “Besides, we’re living right smack in the middle of tree central. How’d that place go out of business?”

“Several years ago old man Grayson turned operations over to his son, Marky. The younger Grayson ran the place into the dirt, mismanaging the entire operation.”

Greg chuckled. “That made the old man proud, I’m sure.”

Mayor Whittis smiled. “Regardless, the older Grayson wants the place cleared out. Probably some transient squatters living out there.”

“And why do we care, Calvin?”

“We care because Old Man Grayson still has more money than Elvis and he’s one of my biggest campaign donors.”

“Ah, I see.” Greg shook his head at the intricate spider webs of Mayor Whittis. 

“You’d better see, Chief. I’m your biggest supporter in this town. Who got you brand new vehicles and the outside of the police station refaced? Me, that’s who.” Mayor Whittis let out a long sigh. “Just don’t do anything to screw up my re-election. In fact, you could actually try and do some things that help me.”

“Things? What things?”

“Go cuff and stuff some bad guys and drive them around town.” The mayor looked serious. 

“It doesn’t really work that way, Calvin, besides I’m going to make a speech for you at the Women’s Auxiliary Picnic next week. That’s doing ‘things’ isn’t it?” Greg sighed behind a frown. I hate speeches . . . and politics. 

“Oh yes, that reminds me, keep Jenny away from the picnic. ‘Batty’ Benslow is gonna be there and she hates your wife. We don’t need trouble. Especially with the press there.” 

Greg’s desk phone rang, cutting off the mayor, who looked like he had more to say. 

“Hey, babe. What time you coming home?” Greg’s heart skipped a beat when he heard his wife’s sweet voice. 

“Couple of hours. I’m wrapping some things up.”

“Okay, just didn’t want you to get caught up in one of your capers.” There was a hint of excitement in her voice. 

“What’s up?”

“Mom wanted the kids tonight. They’re having a Disney movie night. So I’m cooking you something special for dinner. Grab a bottle of caramel Tennessee Whiskey on your way home and don’t be late.”

I married my dream girl. “I wouldn’t miss it, hon.” He hung up the phone. 

Mayor Whittis opened his mouth to speak when Greg’s radio exploded to life on his desk. It caused both men to jump. Unlike Chicago, the police radio traffic in Wolf Bend was light and sporadic. 

“All available units, all available units, respond to Colville County Jail. Riot in progress. Riot in progress. This is a county-wide callout for assistance.”

Various units began responding on air, including Officer Kelsey, that they were enroute. “Hold that thought, Calvin.” Greg grabbed his bullet proof vest and made his way to the adjacent gun room, where he grabbed a shotgun.  

Just as he stepped outside, Jesse rolled up to the front door in his police Blazer. Greg climbed into the passenger seat.

“That shotgun looks like trouble, Greg!” The mayor had followed him out the front door. “Remember, keep it clean, Chief. I don’t need any bad press!”

Greg chuckled to himself. Being a cop is trouble, and trouble usually leads to bad press. A moment later Jesse had them racing out of Wolf Bend, lights and sirens blaring, while they headed for Collville.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.