General Fiction posted January 26, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a man of faith is tested

The Embattled Samaritan Part II

by Mark Childs


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

In what seemed like minutes, Chuck’s training began.  Lessons in demonology, necromancy, and summoning were the main subjects.  Gamigin explained to Chuck that to escape from this realm, Chuck would need to become strong enough and proficient enough in the dark arts.  Chuck was reluctant to participate, however, Gamigin was quick to remind him of the consequences for failure.

Thirty earth days passed in what seemed like hours to Chuck as he continued his lessons.  Summoning minor demons and destroying them became part of every lesson. Eventually minor demons became major demons as Chuck grew stronger.  At first, the site of these demonic beings, shocked and frightened Chuck but as his confidence in his abilities grew, his fear lessened.

Between lessons, Chuck wandered the scorched landscape.  He encountered other souls, some wonderful, some wretched. One of the souls was Miranda, a young woman in her thirties, who had been a nun.  A drug addict had thrown her from the roof of the chapel. Her faith remained intact. She was to leave this realm the following day. 

“Embrace what Gamigin has taught you,” she said. “It will make you whole back on Earth.  Failure to embrace your teachings could leave you hobbled and dysfunctional in your Earth body.”  Chuck had thanked her. She had an aura of light that followed her as she walked. This removed any doubts Chuck had of what he was doing.

Nine earth days later, Gamigin approached Chuck near the dilapidated houses where his journey had begun.

“It is time for you to return home, Chuck.”

“Thank God,” said Chuck.

“If you insist, but heed my words, Chuck.  I told you about a favor for a favor and it is time to collect.  Upon your return, you will summon Baku, the eater of dreams.  You will summon this demon five times, sending him to each of the five attackers.  I demand their souls as payment.”

“And if I say no.”

“You do not want to do that, Chuck.  Look what they did to you, your family and your family’s business.  I would like to think that part of you would like revenge.”

“I believe God will take care of that.”

“Oh, he is, through me, with your help.  I cannot force you to comply, but by breaking our agreement, you will be sent to the land of the dead.  Your choice.”

“So that was what this whole thing was about.  Not about getting strong enough to escape here but getting strong enough to do your dirty work when I return to Earth.”

“You would never have agreed, but I would like to think that given the time we have been together, you have come to see things in a different light.  I am not asking you to sin.  I am not even asking you to punish anyone.  You are simply summoning an agent of mine who will do what he is trained to do.”

“I can’t, in clear conscious, do what you ask.”

“Then, it is off to the land of the dead. Unfortunate.”  Gamigin begin to move his hands in a waving pattern.  A dark red circle began to form behind, Gamigin.  From the circle, clawed hands pulled at the circle, making it larger.  The heads of deformed, evil beasts began to appear. It was terrifying.

“Okay, I’ll do it.  I’ll do it,” whispered Chuck.

“Wise decision.  You have a week upon your return to complete the task.  If you fail to comply, I will come for you personally and you will suffer an unimaginable fate.  With a wave of his hand, the dark realm vanished.

Chuck awoke, with a gasp of air.  He took in his surroundings.  He was in a private hospital room.  He had a catheter in place and was hooked up to a variety of wires and tubes.  A tube near his navel appeared to be a feeding tube. Alarms began to sound, and, in seconds, a nurse appeared.

“Oh my God, you’re awake,” she shouted.  The nurse went out into the hall, shouting, “He’s awake.  He’s awake.”

Chuck felt wonderful, considering the damage his body had taken.  His broken arm was still in a cast.  The wounds that required stitches and staples were inflamed and ugly, but he was alive.  He felt like Frankenstein and was tempted to scream, “I’m alive,” but he did not.  He first thought was to call Emily, who fainted when she heard his voice.  She arrived, kids-in-tow within the hour.

Three days later, after many meals, the removal of his feeding tube and a bowel movement, Chuck was discharged.  Walking was slow and stiff, but manageable.

Friends and family were waiting to greet Chuck upon his arrival.  It was a joyous day for Chuck and his family.  His insurance agent, Jim Fleury, a lifelong friend, was there, informing him that the old property had been cleaned up and they could start rebuilding whenever Chuck was ready.  It had been determined that a gas leak caused the explosion, and it was ruled an accident. 

The last of the guests departed at 8:00, leaving Chuck and his family to talk about the last few weeks, and the future.  Chuck had missed so much, in such a brief time, two birthdays for starters.  He would make it up to everyone.

As the crawled into bed that night, Emily snuggled up to Chuck, kissing him passionately.

“I missed you so much, Fitzy.  I prayed every day for you.”  They made long, slow love, holding each other after until Emily fell asleep.  It would well into the night before Chuck would succumb to sleep.  He had work to do.

In the morning of Chuck’s fifth day back on Earth, Emily left to buy groceries.  The kids were all in school, two in high school and one at the community college, leaving Chuck alone.  It was time.

The summoning was surprisingly easy.  Directing the demon to its targets was a bit tricky but Chuck managed to complete each of the five tasks.  He immediately felt tainted.  Each time he summoned the eater of dreams, he could taste the evil of it.  Once he had completed the five tasks, he knelt beside his bed and prayed, begging for forgiveness.

Dilly was the first to die.  It was ruled a heart attack, but a neighbor testified that he could hear the boy screaming as though he was on fire for half an hour.  Dilly’s parents were at a social event, returning home to find first responders on the scene.  Despite several attempts to close Dilly’s eyes, they remained wide open in a look of absolute terror.  News of Dilly’s death made the rounds in the gossip circle, reaching Chuck, making him physically ill.  He told Emily it was just a setback from doing too much too soon.

Devon Blackbird died next, found hanging in his parent’s garage.  Ronnie McCallum burned to death after dousing himself and his bed with gasoline, lighting it up with a road flare.  He suffered before succumbing to the flames.  His parents tried to break down his bedroom door but by the time they did, it was too late.  Colin Kelly went down fighting, at least that is what the coroner claimed.  His knuckles were bloody and battered.  The cause of death was a massive stroke, unusual for someone of his age, in solid physical condition.

Lucious McCrae stopped by Chuck Fitzgerald’s house the day after Colin died.  Emily was at book club and the house was empty.  Lucious was a broken man.

“I am sorry, Mr. Fitzgerald.  I am so sorry.  Please make it stop.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Of course, you know.  The thing you sent to us; told us you sent it.  Everyone knew it, but everyone still died.  I am begging you to stop this thing.” Lucious began sobbing.

“I will do what I can.  I promise, Lucious.  I never wanted this to happen, but you, and your friends, should never have blown my business up with me in it.”  As he spoke the words, he did not believe what he was saying, a part of Chuck’s heart had hardened beyond repair.

“On second thought, you deserve what you get.  Look at me.  I’m a walking, talking Frankenstein.”

“Please, Mr. Fitzgerald, I am truly sorry.  I have been praying for forgiveness.”

“As have I son, as I have I.  You must leave now.  I will do what I can, but I make no promises.”

“Ok, thank you.  Thank you.”  Lucious left, a shell of his former self.  He died that night.  The cause of death was never determined.

One part of the goodness that made Chuck Fitzgerald, the man he was, died with each of the five boys, transforming him into the man he would become.

A little over a year later, Fitzy’s Findings reopened.  The store was unique and became a tourist attraction.  Chuck, with the help of Gamigin, found items that were rare and unusual. Gamigin came to visit Chuck often, in his dreams.  Each visit, Chuck lost a little more of himself, the price one pays when you sell your soul.  Gamigin had plans for Chuck, and for the customers frequenting Fitzy’s Findings.

There was something for everyone at Fitzy’s, if you were willing to pay the price.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mark Childs All rights reserved.
Mark Childs has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.