General Fiction posted January 20, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Deciding to leave

Escape

by Lisasview

There was a knock on the door.  
"I'm in here; give me a minute!" I yelled, from the gas station bathroom.                                       
Hands shaking, I opened the small box of red hair dye I had stolen from the corner drugstore.  I lived in a small town, and everybody knew me, so I had to be careful.
 
After stealing the dye and placing it in my jean jacket's pocket, I picked up a box of
aspirin.
 
Mr. Williams smiled and said, "Hey there Patty, how's it going?  I'm surprised to see you here at this time in the morning."
 
"Oh, I just have a slight headache and I am out of aspirin."       
                 
I walked three blocks to the only gas station in town.  The bathroom was filthy, but I didn't care.
 
The beautiful model on the hair dye box smiled at me as if to say, "Just try and look as good as I do."
 
Again, a knock.
 
"Go away!" This time I was almost screaming.
 
Within minutes I cut my long blond hair off and stuffed it into a plastic bag.  I mixed the dye in the plastic bowl I brought with me and waited for the magic to happen.
 
Just as I was about to rinse my hair, I heard a knock on the door and the key turning in the lock.  A man's work boot tried to step in.  I pressed my body against the door and in a shaky voice said, "You better not come in.  I have been sick, and I am cleaning it up."

 His boot quickly left. I had a plan I had been working on for years.
 
I dried my short red hair under the hand dryer and left the bathroom with a small backpack, tossing my hair in the trash can by the side of the building.
The local bus station was a 10-minute walk.  I wanted to run but didn't. 
Most of the people getting on the bus were workers from out of town.  I got off the bus near the thrift shop in the next town and used cash to buy dresses, tops, pants and a black baseball cap.
 
From there I went to the Greyhound bus station and put everything on, making me look at least twenty pounds heavier.
 
I stared at myself in the mirror; no one would recognize me.  He would never find me.
I paid for my ticket in cash.  I was on my way to a new and safe life.
Only fifteen minutes before the bus would arrive and take me to my freedom.
 



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry

Recognized

#26
January
2024
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lisasview All rights reserved.
Lisasview has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.