General Flash Fiction posted January 4, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What happens to the birds who don't fly south?

The Hold Out

by Mustang Patty


A gorgeous sunrise welcomed the day. Wispy clouds scattered across the vast expanse of blue. In the distance, snow-capped mountains glistened. Despite the cold, a lone bird clung to his nest in the tallest tree. He simply refused to fly south for the winter.

Who could blame him on a bright day, with barely a chill? But what would he do when the snow began to fall in the valley?

Maybe then, he would follow the trail of his flock.




80 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


After seeing the movie, 'Migration,' I'm haunted by the birds who still fly in the cold and wet skies of Oregon. Aren't they cold when they go so high? Maybe not - why else would they still be around? I mean, they could fly away whenever they want - right? (If I could fly, I'd be in Mexico City.)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.