General Fiction posted January 3, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
3rd Place Finish

Hotel Majestic

by Douglas Goff


In 2002, I took my new wife out west for our honeymoon. One of the many places we visited was San Francisco.  

While in the ‘City by the Bay’ I had reserved a room at the famous Hotel Majestic. It seemed perfect for a honeymoon. 

The turn of the century boutique style 58 room hotel was built in 1902. The building survived the great 1906 Earthquake that killed 3,000 people and destroyed 80% of the city, making it the oldest hotel in San Francisco 

The hotel was built by railroad magnate Milton Schmitt, who maintained a residence for his family on the fourth floor. It operated successfully for years.  

While staying there, my wife and I decided to explore the building, which was decorated with antique Victorian style furniture and paintings. On the fourth floor, we heard piano music. 

We followed the sound, wondering if perhaps the hotel had a piano bar tucked in somewhere. The music led us to the door of room 408.  We shrugged and headed back downstairs.  

The following morning we spoke with the front desk clerk about the history of the building who provided us with an old photograph book, each picture marked with notations.  

We learned that upon Milton’s death, his daughter Lisa inherited the hotel. She had financial trouble maintaining the facility and fell into heavy debt.  

At this point, Lisa had co-owners and a board who voted to sell the Hotel Majestic. She fought this decision not wanting to lose her residence.

Once the sale of the 1500 Sutter Street business was complete, Lisa was devastated. She did not want to leave her home.  

As an afterthought, we mentioned the piano playing we had heard on the fourth floor. The clerk asked if the sounds were coming from room 408.

The man leaned in real close, as if to share a secret.  Seems Lisa Schmitt refused to leave the Hotel Majestic and never has. She killed herself in the area of what is now rooms 407 and 408. 

Apparently there are many paranormal issues in the rooms on the 4th floor. Bath tubs overflow, people get pushed, and a variety of noises are heard.  

Then the clerk told us that the 4th floor currently had no guests. This stunned us. Who did we hear playing the piano? 

Was the macab long dead Lisa Schmitt playing a mournful song? Possibly a death dance that commemorated her suicide? You decide! 




Danse Macabre contest entry


The photo is of Lisa and hangs in the hotel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.