Humor Non-Fiction posted December 31, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Keeping up to date for the ...

Days of my life

by Wendy G


I had brought my son up well. He was courteous, caring, and hardworking, and also had a fine sense of humour. He often played pranks which have gone into the annals of our family history and memories.

I have often been the recipient (or target, or victim) of his practical jokes, which are always fun and not malicious. I am quite used to him. That’s why, now that he has three little girls, I see his sense of humour in them too, and they bring me a lot of pleasure and fun.

Sometimes when he was stuck for ideas for a birthday or Christmas gift for me, he would ask his sister what she was getting for me, hoping it would give prompt his gift-giving abilities.

However, for two or three years he has not been using her as a springboard for ideas – he has copied them. If I received a scarf or hand cream from her, I could be fairly sure I would also get a scarf or hand cream from him. He thought it was hilarious and enjoyed teasing his sister and seeing her face when his gift to me was opened. She pretended to be annoyed with him. “Think of your own ideas for gifts!” she would remonstrate. It didn’t worry me at all. Scarves and hand creams? That’s fine.

This year, he sent me a message about a month ago, asking if I had a calendar yet for next year. I didn’t, and I have to say it pleased me to think that this year he was doing his own thinking. I knew I would get a calendar for Christmas. I would pretend to forget, so it would come as a surprise.

A couple of weeks later I received a small calendar from the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) as a token of appreciation for my donations. It was very attractive, featuring dogs along with their rescue stories. 

I decided not to tell my son. I would keep the small one on my computer table and his calendar could be used on the fridge to note all the details my activities and appointments.

We had our Christmas family gathering a few days ago. My other daughter and her family arrived from the country. Everyone was having a relaxed and happy time, and all seven cousins ranging from sixteen years old down to two years old were enjoying each other’s company.

Soon it was time to open the gifts. The first gift I opened was from my older daughter. She knew I loved dogs, of course. One of the gifts from her was a calendar, featuring dogs. One page per month with a photo of a magnificent dog, and a Scripture verse. Two calendars.

My son laughed. “Open mine next!” he implored.

As I was doing so, he asked me to pause. “This is from the three girls!” he declared. “I asked them what Nanny would like. They all said that you love dogs, and you always like going to beautiful places!” My heart started beating a little faster. I knew I would soon have three calendars, all featuring dogs.

I removed the wrappings, preparing to show my delight to the three excited little girls, and … gasped. Each month featured a beautiful dog … in the squatting position, doing what dogs do.  The setting for each was a beautiful place in Australia.

My son could not contain his laughter at my shocked face! “Of course, that was from the girls! I would never buy you a gross calendar like that. You brought me up better than that!  So here is another gift. This one is from me, and I am sure you will love it.”

Sure as eggs, another calendar… of beautiful birds. Well, at least it was different. Birds from all over Australia, in delightful settings. Four calendars.

Lastly my second daughter offered her gifts – in two bags. The wrapping of the first gift felt suspiciously like … a calendar. It was. Beautiful scenery from all over Australia, with a Scripture verse for each month. She couldn’t stop laughing. “Sorry, Mum, I was trying to pay him back for all the times he has bought you the same gift as I've given you, so I asked him what he was going to buy for you.”

I now have five calendars to start the new year, three of which feature dogs, all of which have amazing scenery, and only one of which is gross. I will now remove from my refrigerator the two fridge magnet calendars offered by the local real estate agents during December.

I know people will think I am crazy, but I am likely to burst out laughing every time I look at the calendar during the year, whichever is hanging on the fridge, a reminder of the merriment and fun of our Christmas celebration. But which one will I use?

Maybe I need to make a feature wall and have all of them hanging together in an artistic grouping.

Or maybe I should just hang up four for public viewing. The fifth one is … let’s just say, “different”!

I thought I brought my son up better than that!




Recognized


Did you notice my artful arrangement of the five calendars? I did not want to give too much prominence to "Dogs pooping in beautiful Australian places!" And don't worry, I am sure these photos were all posed ones, and someone would have cleaned up after the dogs.
And I didn't receive any scarves or hand cream this year.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.