Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 12, 2023 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Angela receives a visit from Caz

A chapter in the book Me. Her. Him

Me. Her. Him - Chapter 50

by Jacob1395




Background
Angela has spent nearly half her life hiding from a man in her past. But when he finally tracks her down, it isn't him she's scared of. It's what he knows.

Background: Angela is shocked when William, an old friend from her past, who she hoped never to see again, comes back into her life, after he applies for a role at her work and successfully secures the job. William’s sudden reappearance puts Angela on edge. She’s terrified he’s discovered her secret, which she needs to protect her family from. William’s convinced Angela knows what happened to his former girlfriend, Caz, who hasn't been seen for twenty years, and that something terrible happened to her. The only person, who can help Angela, is her once best friend, Michelle, but Angela hasn’t seen Michelle for more than a decade. Faced with the threat of William’s return, they know they’ll need to work together to save their future, even if this does mean reopening old wounds, and revisiting a past they'd rather keep buried.

*************

January 2000

I fully expected Michelle to have a go at me, when I told her what happened, but instead she wrapped her arms around me, and pulled me in for a hug. She didn’t even say I told you so, after all the times she warned me about not keeping the money under my mattress.

I ended up sitting in all day. I told Hayley and Lauren to go to work, once the police had been round, there was nothing more they could do, except keep me company.

‘Don’t worry, we’ll think of something,’ Michelle says, holding me tighter.

‘But there’s no time,’ I say, my voice rising. ‘I’ve got to get the cheque off in a couple of weeks, and I just.’

Michelle pulls away from me but keeps her hands on my shoulders. ‘Look, I can ask my dad for help. Honestly he won’t mind. He’ll be more than happy to lend you the money.’

I shake my head. ‘No. No I don’t want you to ask your dad, Michelle. This was supposed to be about me raising the money for the course, and not asking for help.

‘But think about it. If you get the money back, then you can give it back to him. He won’t mind that.’ Michelle’s looking at me with wide eyes, as though she’s pleading with me to accept her offer.

‘But what if I don’t get the money back?’ I ask.

I’m half tempted to accept, but I . . . it would make me feel like a failure even more. There’s no way I’m asking Mum and Dad. Mum will say they wouldn’t be able to trust me with the money after what’s happened.

I still can’t get rid of the violation I feel clinging to my chest, which is dragging me down, as though I’m being submerged in a lake of freezing water. My ribs hurt as I breathe.

There’s a thud on the door which makes me jump. For a moment I think it’s the police returning to tell me they’ve recovered the money, and everything’s going to be fine. Wishful thinking.

‘I’ll get it.’ Hayley leaps from the sofa.

I’m rigid in my seat as Hayley heads to the front door. Then there are voices, someone mentions my name in a harsh tone that sends shock waves pulsing through me. My body seizes up. It’s Caz. Hayley’s trying to talk to her calmly, but the anger is rising in Caz’s voice. Shit. I’m not prepared for this. It feels like a golf ball’s lodged in my throat.

‘Angela.’ Caz’s voice strikes me like a dart to the heart as she steps into the room. ‘Angela, I need you to tell me what’s going on. We’ve had the police round at our place today and . . . they’ve been questioning William about stealing money from you.’ There isn’t any warmth in her voice as she speaks. Her words come out thick and fast.

‘I . . .’ I can’t form the words on my tongue.

Michelle stands up. She’s standing between me and Caz like a lioness protecting her cubs.

‘That’s right, Caz. The money Angela was saving to go on the course went missing yesterday. The only person who could’ve taken the cash is William.’

Caz throws her head back and lets out a slight laugh. She stares at me with disbelief in her eyes.

‘That’s stupid,’ she spits. ‘How on earth could William have taken the money? I know you don’t like him, Michelle, but there’s no way I would’ve thought you’d accuse him of doing something like this, Angela. He was out meeting friends yesterday. He didn’t get back till around five o’clock in the afternoon.’

Out meeting friends. My body trembles. Is that what he told her? He was still with her after he told me he’d split up with her. The liar. And yet Caz appears willing to stand by him.

‘He came to meet me,’ I say, not meeting Caz in the eye. My forehead burns every time I glance in her direction.

Caz holds her hand up to her ear in a mocking gesture. ‘Sorry, Angela, I didn’t hear that.’

‘He came to meet me,’ I say, biting down hard on my teeth.

Silence stretches out between us. Surely she heard me the first time.

‘Why would he come to meet you?’ Caz asks, spittle flying out of her mouth.

‘I . . .’ I can’t tell her. Not like this. Not with everyone else listening in.

Her eyes darken.

‘I thought you were my friend, Angela, you know,’ she says. There’s hurt in her voice, like she’s the one who’s been wronged here. ‘Now it all makes sense why you were so keen to see William again.’

I say nothing. I want to say I’m sorry, but the words won’t form on my tongue. How can I tell her I’m sorry, when she clearly believes William’s done nothing wrong?

Caz wipes her eyes and heads back towards the door.

‘Don’t bother contacting me again,’ she says ice in her voice as she speaks.

I can’t stop myself from crying again as the door slams shut.

**************

Character List:

Angela Watkins - Protagonist 

Paul Watkins - Angela's husband

Rebecca Watkins - Angela's daughter 

Michelle Blake - Angela's former best friend 

Kirsty - Receptionist (Angela's friend) 

Olivia - Angela's boss

William Harris - Angela's former friend 

Caroline (Caz) - Angela's friend 

Hayley - Angela's former friend

Lauren - Angela's former friend



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jacob1395 All rights reserved.
Jacob1395 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.