General Non-Fiction posted December 3, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An exception for our exceptional friend

Exceptional

by Wendy G


I don’t usually write birthday poems, and others do it far better than I, but I’ve made an exception for dear Karenina, who celebrates her birthday on December 4.

I wanted to honour her because she did for me what I know she has done for at least one other (and possibly many).

She went through my portfolio and reviewed many expired pieces which were one review short of being Recognised or All Time Best. It would have taken her many hours, and each review was done with thoughtful care and insight.  Sometimes wit and humour. Her eagle eyes even found an extra full stop. Each review was original, never a "cut and paste". Such an encouragement to find someone who reads and reviews for the pleasure, not for the payment. I was so moved at this gesture of kindness.

It was an act so thoughtful and loving, and so encouraging, particularly coming at the time it did, when I had spent several hours every day at the hospital with an ill family member, for seven weeks. I was physically and emotionally exhausted, so you can imagine what a joy it was to receive this wonderful surprise, and to know that I had been in her thoughts as she read and reviewed.

My poem is technically very imperfect, so I offer my apologies, but it is written from the heart.

Don’t forget to remember

Her day in December

A celebration is due

On December four

She’ll be one year more

A significant number, it’s true.

She’s our reviewer supreme

A treasured sunbeam

Her equals? – there are but few

For she‘s gentle and kind

With a beautiful mind

And such a sweetheart too.

.

             Dear Karenina,

I wish you love, and much joy and deep, deep peace

And good health, and blessings that never cease

May your birthday be special in every way

May you know you’re loved every single day.




Recognized


I chose a bright birthday card with a sunflower because I am sure she brings sunshine into many lives.
I know you are all still starting Sunday 3, but if I post early you can all join in preparing and sending her messages for her birthday on Monday 4.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.