Fantasy Fiction posted November 27, 2023 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Theo and Echo reach the end of their journey.

A chapter in the book Return To Concorde Valley

Edge of Destiny

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Years after a fire took her parents lives and devastated her home, Echo works at a small town newspaper as an investigative reporter. Her past and present intermingle as she tries to escape danger.
End of last chapter:

Echo handed Sunny to Theo, then stood up as gingerly as she had sat down. She knew moving through the trees hurt less than sitting still, so braced herself for the journey. She took Sunny, gave him a hug, and placed him in the backpack. Theo took the beloved burden and carried him on broad shoulders.

Echo nodded to Theo her readiness to go on. She knew, with the instincts of her profession, she'd pushed as far as she could for information. She was certain Theo would reveal more as the need arose. For now, she was satisfied. The nut had cracked, even if just for a moment.

New Chapter Begins:


As they labored through the night, Echo wondered how much longer she could keep pace. The muscles in her extremities ached, and the wounds covering much of her exposed flesh burned like fire. Still, she continued to press on, drawing strength from her resilient companion.

As the night grew old and daylight replaced moonbeams through the canopy, Theo called for a break. They sat together on a limb and ate nuts he had collected as they traveled. Since Sunny was resting comfortably in the backpack, they left him alone to sleep.

Without embarrassment or discomfort, Echo leaned against Theo's shoulder. It felt as natural now as it had been so many years ago when they were children.

For a moment, neither spoke, but rested in the comfort they drew from each other. When he was ready, Theo leaned back and pointed to Echo's leg.

"How are those gashes doing from the Spectre's scratch?"

Echo lifted the slashed material on her pants leg and showed him three angry red lines. Until that moment, she hadn't realized just how bad the wounds were.

Theo touched the skin beside the concentric gashes. From his gentle caress, she felt warmth radiating and providing relief to damaged tissue.

"That feels good," she said. "Do you think your father can fix this mess?"

Theo nodded and pulled her pants leg back down. "I've seen him heal worse. You're doing great, just be strong a little longer. I know this has been a long trip, especially for one not accustomed to traveling through trees."

"I had a good teacher."

Theo smiled. "I think you've been practicing since I taught you."

"I did off and on. It was relaxing, but what were you doing this far from home when you were little? This is a long journey for an 8-year-old."

"I was far from home, but not from my parents. They were in a cave near where I sheltered you."

"Are they the ones who caught the fish you brought me?"

Theo feigned offense. "I'll have you know, I caught them myself. It's against the rules for them to have helped."

"Rules for what?"

"My Primary Journey."

"What's that?"

"A coming of age ritual for 8-year-olds in Concorde," he said. "They participate in an individualized task designed to help them discover what we call their horse name. The kids spend time alone in the woods running the periphery of Concorde Valley. It's all very safe, but they live off the land and take time to think about their goals and talents. They return once they've discovered their secret name."

"What happens if they don't?"

"They can have family members discuss their experiences with them. If they still can't figure it out, then they try again the next year."

Echo nodded. "There are several cultures with similar customs, but I don't get the horse name piece."

Theo looked around as though searching for words to explain the unexplainable.

"You see," he began, "we believe all people have a secret name that has to do with their greatest personal characteristic, which is what our people call their horse name."

"Why horse?"

"It's the animal we feel most connected to."

"Are there that many in the valley?"

Theo shrugged. "It's more the quality than the quantity, but that's not the real point. It's more finding that inner focus and direction to help guide a person that's important."

"I can understand that. What happens after the name is settled on?"

"They get a patch to wear representing the name and character quality it embodies."

"Do you mean like the one you had on the bib of your shorts when we first met?"

Theo cut his eyes over at her in surprise. "Yes, but I'm surprised you remember."

"It caught my attention. The patch was very colorful and had two sticks crossing each other. What  did it all represent?"

"My horse name, Artist. The sticks were paint brushes and the color, well, color."

"That's really cool, but since you had it on your bib when we met, you must have already known your secret name. So, what was the purpose of your journey?"

"To go beyond the valley, something normally forbidden, and seek my destiny there."

"That sounds a bit vague."

"Maybe, but I found it."

"You found me, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the destiny you sought."

"I found more than you, Echo, though I'm eternally grateful I did so. I also discovered a rare second name."

"That's amazing, what is it?"

"The same as my father's, Guardian."

"And how did learning that shape your destiny?"

"Take for instance my job in your world. I was a police officer, hence, guardian, and I was also their sketch artist, expressing my first name of Artist."

"Oh man, I didn't even think about you losing your job. I guess I've lost mine, too. Looks like we messed up both our destinies."

"Echo, a job is just a manifestation of your destiny, not the destiny itself. We can always find other jobs."

"In my world?"

"Sure, wherever your world ends up being." Theo grinned at Echo.

"Oh." Echo was at loss for words, a rarity for her.

Theo laughed and handed her some more nuts. It felt good having her off-guard for a change.

Echo smiled, too. She realized, once more, that Theo was as clever as he was handsome.
 
"So, do I have a horse name?"
 
"As I said, our people believe everyone has at least one. Most in the outside world just don't know how to find it."

"What's mine, then?"
 
Theo considered her question and how to answer. He knew she was trying to understand his culture, but telling wasn't nearly as satisfying as discovering. "You'll have to figure that out for yourself," he said.

"But I'm not a little kid and it's been a long time since I came of age. I'm not sure a Primary Journey would work for me."

"And I'm not certain it's necessary. There are people in my world you can ask who would know more about it. Either way, you'll discover your horse name if you truly want to know it, and Concorde Valley is an excellent place to do so."

Echo gave a slight nod. "If I guess my name, can I have a cool patch?"

"Of course, but you mustn't guess. When you're sure in your heart what the name is, you can come and discuss it with me or someone else you come to trust. Then, you go to my father for confirmation and he will enter it into the rolls of the valley."

"So, he already knows what it is?"

"He will listen to your thoughts, then weigh it in his heart."

"I know he's Poseidon's son, but does that make him a wizard or something?"

"No, my dear, he's the king of Concorde Valley and a very wise man."

 
"And a doctor?"
 
"Yeah. He's a really good one. He's also a warrior and gardener."
 
"Nice. How many horse names does he have?"
 
"Who knows?"
 
"Is your mother the queen?"
 
"Yes, her name is Diantha."

"Which makes you..."

"Hungry, so let's get going again, if you please."

"How much further do we have?" Echo was finished trying to dig information out of Theo and, like him, she was hungry.

"Not much, we're on the outskirts of Concorde Valley right now."

"Are you kidding me? Why did we stop when we were so close?"

"I figured you needed to rest and learn a few things before going in."

"I need to learn more than a few things, buddy, and it's not like you told me that much."

Theo gave her a quick side hug. "Follow me."

Echo resisted the urge to tell him that's what she'd been doing all night. Rather, she walked through the trees until they parted to reveal a looming mountain that had been invisible until now.

Theo took her hand and gave it a squeeze. With the other hand, he gestured at an outcropping in the mountain.

"Welcome to the Portico of Concorde Valley."

Something in his voice stirred Echo to experience a deep wonder. It was as though all the magic and joy she'd ever felt from Theo radiated from somewhere beyond the cliffs ahead. She squeezed his hand back.

"I'm a little scared," she said.

"Don't be. You'll love it and the people will love you."

"They don't even know me."

Theo laughed, then turned and winked. "You'll be surprised to find just how much they do know. It seems I've talked about you a lot over the years."

It was Echo's turn to laugh. "I guess I've talked about you a lot, too."

"I truly am glad we've reconnected," Theo said. Echo responded with a tilt of her head and a smile.

Further conversation was halted by the appearance of an enormous black stallion on the outcropping ahead of them. He raised his magnificent head and let out a piercing scream, punctuated by a series of neighs and grunts.

Echo glanced at Theo to see his reaction. To her surprise, he stood perfectly still, his face calm and pensive. Golden skin, glowing in the light of the rising sun, gave him the appearance of an ancient prince returning from afar. Several more neighs and cries from the noble steed heralded that son home.

After the horse grew quiet, Theo turned to Echo and spoke. "We've been given permission to enter. He told me that all is well and my parents await. They give leave for you to enter as well."

"I didn't quite hear all that."

"That's because you don't speak the language of horses."

"And you do?"

"Of course."

"Of course," Echo repeated. "Who taught you?"

Theo grinned and looked her straight in the eyes. In that moment, Echo knew the nut was about to crack wide open and that her life would never be the same.

"My father," he said. A sparkle danced in his sea green eyes. "He used to be a Centaur."
 
Echo was beyond disbelief at this point. She simply stated, "Well, that explains the horse connection."

Theo tilted his head forward. Echo responded by tapping her forehead on his.

Pulling her into a hug, Theo took a pinch of powder from his jacket pocket and blew it into her face. At once, she grew sleepy and slumped into his arms. She was vaguely aware of being carried out of the tree by strong, gentle arms. After that, she knew nothing more until she awoke in a strange, beautiful world.
 



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, Red Fury by cleo85 on FanArtReview.com. Thank you for your addition to my work.

Book Summary so far:
Young Echo Jones is overlooked by First Responders as she hides in a wheat field during a house fire. Both parents killed in the fire, she escapes into an ancient forest behind her home. Alone and afraid, she meets up with a young boy, Theo, from mysterious origins that tends to her while searching for help.

20 years later, Echo is working for a newspaper called the Taylorville Sun. Among other duties, she investigates a serial killer who has now struck in her small town, and covers the opening of a new mega-store, Super Handyman.

After gathering all she needs on the store opening, she meets up with Bessie, an elderly columnist from the Sun who has an inside scoop on the death of the woman killed in their town. Bessie tells what she knows about the night of the murder, and sends Echo off to go back to work.

Echo arrives at the Newspaper, where the Christmas party has already begun. Before going in, she finds an envelop addressed to her. In it are pictures of the dead woman and Echo. The newest member of the police department, Tony Bradley, shows up to take her statement. He is, immediately, suspected of being the serial killer Echo is investigating.

At the end of the party, a parade of her friends set out to follow her home and keep her safe. After a series of unfortunate events, she ends up fleeing across ice and snow to trees she hopes to keep her safe. She's confronted by Specters who try and take her hostage. Theo, her childhood acquaintance, shows up to save the day.
After a battle outside Echo's apartment complex, Echo and Theo have fled through the trees toward his homeland, Concorde Valley, an undisclosed place near or within the Great Forests of Southern United States.

Characters:
Echo Jones: Young girl left stranded by a fire that took her home and parents in the first part of the book, then as an adult, she's an investigative reporter for a small town newspaper.
Her main assignment is to look into a serial killer that has struck in their small town in Georgia, just out of Atlanta.
A side assignment is to cover the opening of a fancy hardware store in Taylorville, Georgia.
Theo: Named Anthos by his parents. Protagonist of the book, and Echo's love interest.

Claude Baker: Editor of the newspaper, Taylorville Sun. Younger brother of Frankie, one of the editors.

Brian Baker: Claude's adult son who works at the newspaper as a typesetter and photographer

Frankie Lawrence: Claude's older sister and co-owner of the newspaper

Sara Beth: Works at the newspaper as a columnist. She specializes in fashion and gossip and is Echo's nemesis.

Bessie Johnson: 83-year-old columnist that works for the Sun and gathers ads from local venders. She has knowledge of the attack on the local woman killed by the serial killer.

Sherry Roe: A local victim of the serial killer Echo has been writing a series on.

Officer Tony Bradly: Rookie officer for the Taylorville Police Department. He's the one who found Sherry Roe's body after the murder. Also, the man Bessie feels is the killer.
Ends up being Theo, Echo's mysterious childhood rescuer

Junior: Frankie's neighbor who comes by the office Christmas party. Found to be a Specter, or minion of the enemy.

Specters/men in dark clothing: Minions of the Enemy. Have eyes that turn red when they're angry. Can appear as normal humans, serve the Enemy.

Kitty Sunshine, aka Sunny: Echo's Russian Blue cat

Theo, A nickname for Anthos: An 8-year-old, of mysterious origins, who finds young Echo in the forest and tends to her needs. We see him later as a grown man who rescues Echo once again.

Georgios: One of Theo's Captains, and Echo's rescuer, Theo's half brother

Phoebus: King of Concorde Valley, Theo's father
Diantha: Queen of Concorde Valley, Theo's mother
Poseidon: god of the Sea, Theo's grandfather
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.