General Fiction posted November 20, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A scary pass through ...

The Graveyard

by Tom Horonzy


 
In a shroud of fog, so thick, dampened sounds are barely heard. Every nook and cranny has filled with dread for the living but not the dead.

A pale light casts a shadow wherein a stranger stands draped in torn and tattered threads. It seems as chilled as the tombstones that restrict its sight while dumbing down moans from citizens buried underground. 

Dampness drips from every bough, plunging any thought lower than the dead in the ground when a scream pierces the night. 

Panic threads its way through clammy skin dressed heavily in goosebumps. My breath becomes constricted. I feel as though a boa has coiled around my neck, believing me to be prey, depriving oxygen to bring me near to death when a draft stirs the foggy curtain, unlocking itself from nooks and crannies. 

A faint light takes hold, and skin once damp, dries, courtesy of an emancipating breeze. 

Resolve returns, and the shadow that caused fear recedes further and further from the impending light, which seemingly gave it such a fright it left the sight with the night, as did I, promising to find an alternate route around the graveyard.
 



The Dark writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where your character is stuck in complete darkness. Fiction only.


Artwork is my own and is supposed to be how the scene plays out until the light disrupts a darkest night.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.