Self Improvement Non-Fiction posted November 18, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A personal quest

A New Challenge

by Jesse James Doty

 

Amid my constant severe pain, I am rising to a new challenge.

After suffering two neck injuries, I am left with extreme pain in my neck and throughout my spine.  The pain radiates down my left arm to my left hand.  And of course, I am left-handed.

I find I can barely write with my left hand, so more and more, I am turning to my laptop to write what is on my mind and in my heart.

The new challenge I am facing is my dependence.  Dependence on paid caregivers who offer more than anything, companionship.

When Grace went away temporarily I decided to take care of myself for a change.  At first, it was scary, and I didn’t know if I could do it. But after the first successful try, I began to look forward to my time alone.

I shared this enthusiasm with my friends, and they were ecstatic for me. Every shift, when I was in charge, I loved the idea of caring for myself. I became my own companion.

I would carefully choose a CD from my collection, lie down on my couch, and listen intently to the beautiful music. I also have audiobooks to listen to and enjoy. This has been one hell of a journey.       

I am rising to a new challenge. Proud to be who I am.




Recognized

#16
November
2023


I hope my surgery date is soon. I am excited, and I know that my life will be changed, in a good way, forever.
Thanks for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jesse James Doty All rights reserved.
Jesse James Doty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.