Biographical Poetry posted November 19, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I've got the World on a String!

Frank Sinatra

by Debbie D'Arcy

 
His entry stunned and stole the show
when birth weight left Ma pale.
Although he had a while to go,
more drama would entail!
 
His mother was a driving force:
his father boxed for pay.
This only child would start to source
his Dream to sing and play.
 
But first he had to prove his steel,
resist his mother's say,
insist the only deal he'd seal -
to entertain My Way.
 
He yearned for Stardust, just like Bing,*
his Secret Love to croon
and urge those teenage girls take wing
to Fly Me to the Moon.
 
Though war years saw his fortunes slide,
his comeback would be strong.
From Stormy Weather, he'd decide
that jazz would fuse with song.
 
His Rat Pack* look would then emerge -
a swinger hard and loose -
with modern edge, renown would surge,
Ol' Blue Eyes would seduce!
 
His timeless class would see him soar
from hardship to Blue Skies.
That Old Black Magic struck with awe,
would lure and tantalise.
 
In Hollywood he'd also chart
a path to boost his name.
With Tender Trap and Young at Heart,
he garnered rich acclaim.
 
A Man Alone whose melody
gained more and more cachet;*
in politics with Kennedy,
his Star shone Day by Day.
 
But mobster stain then sadly foiled
and undermined with shame.
Chicago links with crime thus spoiled
all hopes to help campaign.
 
In Love and Marriage (he'd had four),
his image would ignite
a fanbase that would love him More
like Strangers in the Night.
 
Through Make Believe he cast a spell
like Witchcraft, armed to charm;
a showman with a tale to tell,
this stud would thrill, disarm.
 
He wrapped us up in festive glow
with smiles, a Misty tear;
his Mistletoe and Let it Snow
so Tenderly brought cheer.
 
Philanthropist, an activist
who fought for human rights;
a bon viveur,* perfectionist -
he scaled those dizzy heights!
 
And Always there, when mood was Blue,
as Side by Side he'd be
a voice From Here to (share with you
for all) Eternity.



Recognized

#14
November
2023


My thanks to John (JSD) for his suggestion of the subject (I actually think he's trying to finish me off with this one:)
Song titles have been used for the poetic purpose of the biography and may not necessarily relate to the context of the songs or the period. They may also be slightly amended or shortened to accommodate the meter.

Stanza 1 An only child, born to Italian immigrant parents, Sinatra weighed in at 13.5 lbs (6.1 kg) at birth and had to be delivered with forceps which left severe scarring to his cheek, neck and ear as well as a perforated eardrum. He had to be resuscitated by his grandmother.

Stanza 2 Dream (1945, 1960) His father boxed for a living under the name of Marty O'Brien.

Stanza 3 My Way (1969,1994) According to biographers, his mother was energetic and driven and believed to have been the influential force behind her son's self-confidence. Barbara Marx, his 4th wife, would later claim that his mother was abusive and would knock her son around, as well as being strongly opposed to his choice of career.

Stanza 4 Stardust (1940, 1961); Secret Love (1964); Fly me to the Moon (1964).
Sinatra, from teenage, idolized *Bing Crosby (one of the most popular vocalists of all time). Bobby Soxers was the term coined for the wildly enthusiastic female fans of 1940s traditional pop music, particularly that of Sinatra.

Stanza 5 Stormy Weather (1944, 1959, 1984) The war was, of course, WW2. Sinatra was unable to enlist due to his perforated ear injury.

Stanza 6 Ol' Blue Eyes is Back (1973 studio album). *Rat Pack was an informal press term for a loose confederation of actors, singers, comedians centred on the las Vegas casino scene in the 60s. Such other names included: Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Junior. Sinatra was given the moniker of Ol' Blue Eyes.

Stanza 7 Blue Skies (1941,1946); That Old Black Magic ( 1946, 1961, 1975).

Stanza 8 The Tender Trap (1955 comedy film); Young at Heart (1954 film with Doris Day). His fame was being boosted by his acting roles in a number of successful films.

Stanza 9 - 10 A Man Alone (1969 studio album); Star (1968); Day by Day (1945, 1961); Chicago (that toddlin' town 1957);
*Cachet ( pronounced caSHAY - meaning prestige).
Sinatra's interest in Democratic politics spurred him on to align himself with Kennedy, at first an asset to the party campaign. But, when his links to a Chicago mobster came to light, Kennedy promptly distanced himself from him.

Stanza 11 Love and Marriage (1955, 1965); More (1964); Strangers in the Night (1966). Sinatra's 4 marriages were to Nancy Sinatra (1939 -1951) with whom he had 3 children: Tina, Frank Jnr and Nancy); Ava Gardner (1951-1957); Mia Farrow (1966-1968) and Barbara Marx (1976 until his death in 1998).

Stanza 12 Make Believe (2005); Witchcraft (1957,1963,1993).

Stanza 13 Misty (1961); Mistletoe and Holly (1957); Tenderly (1980). His wealth of Christmas songs still stand the test of time.

Stanza 14 Sinatra had his faults and, when he lost his temper, it's said that you wouldn't want to be around! But much of this was linked to his striving to be the best and, allegedly, to challenge his mother's drive that he should have pursued another career. He was always drawn to politics and, from a young man, advocated for racial equality and strongly supported the working man. He never lost sight of his roots and growing up in the recession, despite the fact that his mother would deliberately dress him to appear more wealthy than his peers; perhaps explaining why, paradoxically, he was also described as a *bon viveur (liking the good things in life)!

Stanza 15 Always (1946, 1947, 1960); Blue (1956); Side by Side (1957, 1988); From Here to Eternity (1953 film in which Sinatra is one of three United States Army officers stationed in Hawaii in the months leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbour. He received an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor).


Sinatra died in 1998 following two heart attacks. He is ranked amongst the greatest singers of the 20th century, his popularity matched only by Elvis Presley, Bing Crosby, The Beatles and Michael Jackson. His magic came from his ability to create his own world and dominate it, perfecting the ability to capture his audience.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.