Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 15, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What will be the outcome?

The first step

by Wendy G


At the start of the year, I felt called to join our local Therapy Dogs organisation. My dog Sunny would be perfect for the role, and I was sure he would enjoy that sort of ‘work’. He draws people of all ages like a magnet.

He has slotted into his work like a professional, and it is clear that he does indeed enjoy looking after people and their needs. It confirmed to me too that God had certainly led me to the “right” dog for me, just as I had prayed He would. We can pray about all our decisions, big and small, and He delights to answer.

Sunny loves offering warmth and comfort to whoever might need that, and he enjoys interacting with staff and clients at the day program for disabled young adults. It is clear that Wednesday is his favourite day of the week.

However, it is not easy to have “spiritual” conversations as we are not permitted to share our faith. I have sometimes wondered therefore how God would use Sunny and myself.

This morning as we set out, I prayed for both Sunny and myself that God would use us in some way to bless others during our visit to the private hospital where patients were receiving chemotherapy.

The first couple we met were delightful. I hadn’t met them before, but Sunny was comfortable to lie on the patient’s knees for a very long time. She was delighted, as was her husband who received special cuddles also.

I was working today with my supervisor, whom I shall call Nell. Nell has four beautiful pure-bred therapy dogs, and today she brought two with her, one the great-grandmother of the other. Nell’s whole life revolves around her dogs and her love for them, and she is passionate about her work.

Today would be the last working day for this older dog, who had offered therapy services for more than ten years. Nell was sad to see the lovely dog panting after little or no exertion and knew that her dog’s retirement was the best option for her future. Doubtless Nell was also looking a little further ahead, aware that her dog was drawing towards the end of her life. Nell was obviously finding today difficult. Nell is usually a dynamo, a pocket-rocket, full of confidence and fun. Not today. She was struggling.

The ward manager arrived and said she needed therapy today herself, asking to hold and cuddle Sunny. He was delighted to give love and comfort to this staff member. The role of staff is a stressful one, and because outcomes are not always positive for patients, the staff grieve with the families. Our dogs work with medical staff and caregivers as well as patients.

The ward manager told us that a particular patient, who had deeply loved the visits of the dogs while she was having chemotherapy, had passed away. The last couple of times we had seen this young woman she had been too ill to hold a dog, but had followed them with her eyes, delighting in their presence. She had spoken to the staff manager of how the dogs had helped and comforted her as she neared the end of her journey.

Hearing of this loss was upsetting to Nell, already distressed about her own dog. She moved outside and burst into tears. All I could do was offer my comfort and hold Nell in my arms, allowing her the freedom to weep, knowing I understood. Death is never easy, nor is the prospect of death, either for people we love or for pets. Today Nell was bereft, and very emotional.

Was this my role today, simply to hold her and pray over her in silence during her distress? Will this be a first step in showing her the love and comfort of Jesus? Will she hear God’s own voice whispering to her that she needs Him? My prayer is just that. I may never know the outcome, but when the Holy Spirit whispers to me to hold Nell, and simply show care and compassion, that’s a prompting to be acted upon. I am placing her in His hands.

A simple story, and a few simple moments. Isn't that precisely what the Christian life is about? Simply being there for another, prompted by God's love, listening to His voice, ready to be His loving arms for another, showing His heart of care. He prompts us to include Him in all of life's smallest moments. If we practise this, we are more likely to hear and recognise His voice in life's more dramatic moments.




Recognized

#9
November
2023

Club entry for the "Relying on the Holy Spirit" event in "God in Your Life".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.