War and History Non-Fiction posted November 11, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ceasefire for Christmas.

Friendships in the Snow

by Aussie


The first Happy Christmas Eve came to pass when enemies became friends for a few hours. Snow fell on the trenches where the Germans and British soldiers were hunkered down at war on the Western Front.

At 8.30 that night the Germans illuminated their trenches. Singing Christmas carols and wishing the enemy Merry Christmas. A glorious voice was heard to sing Silent Night. The British knew the tune, not the German version.
Both sides were sick of the weather, and lack of food they just wanted to be with their families.

Pvte Fred Heath waved a white handkerchief as he climbed out of the trench, up to his knees in snow, he walked slowly towards the Germans. He had previously, been on a patrol to find German dug-outs. He met a friendly German patrol and he was given whisky and cigars. The German message he carried back to his British comrades was: "Eng soldie, Eng Soldie, a Merry Christmas, a Merry Christmas! Tanenbaum! Tanenbaum!


A truce was made, the ceasefire brought much joy to both sides, and for a few hours, the men were not enemies.

The snow stopped falling heavily and allowed the men to play games with makeshift bats and balls. The Germans were well-stocked with food and gladly handed some to the British. Of course, the language barrier led to the exchange of faded family photos and much pointing and gesticulating. The British gave the Germans cigarettes and were grateful for the German food. Saurkraut became a joke when the British made the German word... sour Kraut! Not this night though.

Many German soldiers went AWOL when the war was in its death throes.
WW1 had been a 'dirty' war and soldiers on both sides were clinging to life and the last bullets. The Germans were told to keep the last bullet for themselves. Both sides were confused, sent to places that meant nothing as far as gaining on each other - no conquests just confusion and death.

That fateful night, when the Saxons' 104th and 106th regiments of Germany stopped the slaughter and thought of home and their families, that night blessed by God to be the beginning of friendships in the snow. Love for our fellow man conquers all.









Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


Contest entry for Christmas Story. 25th December 1914, Western Front WW1.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.