Biographical Poetry posted November 12, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Outlaw and Icon

Johnny Cash

by Debbie D'Arcy

 
At age of five his kin would send
him working in the fields.
Those stricken times would always blend
his songs with cotton yields.
 
For Gospel would course through his veins
and steer his boyhood days.
Through Blistered toil he'd bond with strains
of sacred hymnal praise.
 
Then tragedy would soon befall
his brother and infuse
a sense of guilt, from father's call,
an echo Born to Lose.
 
Though milit'ry would intercede,
his Only Love was key
and On the Road Again he'd speed
to Memphis Tennessee.
 
And there his Rockabilly shook
the scene and soared the charts.
This Man in Black would also look
The Rebel who broke hearts.
 
His Wanted Man would charm and bring
this outlaw great renown.
With gravelled tones, he'd thrill and sing
Don't Take your Guns to Town!
 
But drink and drugs would then conspire
to break him, yet, in spite,
he battled on with Ring of Fire
that fuelled his will to fight.
 
His spark would then ignite a flame
for those who were outcast.
In Folsom Prison Blues, his fame
would shine a light to last.
 
His faith would always underpin
his focus on life's wrongs.
Against the Wind he'd try to win
Redemption in his songs.
 
For he had known the Hurt that swayed,
the struggles to survive.
He warmed to those who needed aid,
gave hope to help them thrive.
 
A Boy named Sue would mark this age,
a social paradox.
With heartfelt beat, he'd pound the stage;
its force still chimes and rocks.
 
And, through it all, his heart would yearn
a life of borders clear,
to Walk the Line and then to earn
respect from those held dear.
 
His preacher mixed with Robin Hood*
and songster from his youth,
would shun the rhinestones, seeking good
and voice, with might, the truth.
 
This icon with a gift that grew,
I honour in this rhyme.
By Reaching for the Stars, he flew -
A Legend in my Time!
 



Recognized

#16
November
2023


My thanks to Jake (Jake Cosmos Aller) for his suggestion of the subject. Any other thoughts gratefully received with absolutely no obligation to buy or even review:))

Song titles have been used for the poetic purpose of the biography and may not necessarily apply to the context of the songs or the period.

Johnny Cash 1932-2003. Born, one of 7 children, in Arkansas in the Great Depression years.

Stanza 1-2 Blistered (1969) His early years were dominated by Gospel Music and the radio. His family's struggles during the Great Depression gave him a lifelong sympathy for the poor and working class, inspiring many of his songs. He began playing and writing songs by the age of 12.

Stanza 3 Born to Lose (1989 This song reflects a sense of resilience, defiance and determination in the face of adversity). When Cash was 12, his older brother, Jack, with whom he was close, was cut almost in two by an unguarded table saw and died a week later. He was blamed by his father and went on to have a problematic father-son relationship which fed into his melancholy.

Stanza 4 Only Love (1982) On the Road Again (1998) 1950 Enlisted in the Air Force and posted to Germany with an honorable discharge in 1954 when he moved with his first wife to Memphis to pursue his music career.

Stanza 5 Man in Black(1971 A protest song against the treatment of poor people by wealthy politicians, mass incarceration and the Vietnam War);
The Rebel (1961) He typically wore black and had a rebellious persona and became known as the Man in Black.

Stanza 6 Wanted Man (1969 Recorded at San Quentin State Prison);
Don't Bring your Guns to Town (1958)

Stanza 7 Ring of Fire (1963 Listed in Rolling Stone as the #1 best country song of all time. It's about the transformative power of love. As his popularity took off, so too did his addiction to alcohol, amphetamines and barbiturates. He was brought back from the edge on many occasions by family devotion.

Stanza 8 Folsom Prison Blues (1955 This is a reflection of his compassionate and empathetic nature, shedding light on the struggles and emotions experienced by prisoners). He was arrested on many occasions and credits his experience of incarceration with his determination to turn his life around.

Stanza 9 Against the Wind (1978 He was a troubled but devout Christian, fraught by challenges and contradictions. The song is about ageing and growing through love, heartbreak, exploration and betrayal)
Redemption (2001 The song lyrics metaphorically allude to Christ's crucifixion, expanding on how, even Cash who once described himself as the biggest sinner of all, might find redemption through sacrifice).

Stanza 10 Hurt (2003 This is a reflection of the pain and regret he suffered in his life through addiction, loss and ageing. It is a haunting confession, perhaps, of his own personal demons and his desire to find redemption before it was too late. He was also suffering from serious health issues.

Stanza 11 A Boy Named Sue (1969 Once again we see his ability to empathise with those who struggle with their own identity and self belief, an ongoing issue today).

Stanza 12 I Walk the Line (1956; film 2021 The lyrics discuss resisting temptation, being accountable and faithful in marriage.

Stanza 13 *Robin Hood - a British legendary heroic outlaw, famous for stealing from the rich to give to the poor. Cash was described as a blue collar prophet who dressed in stark contrast to the stereotypical shimmering folk singer and spoke truth to power.

Stanza 14 Reaching for the Stars (1972 The song encourages individuals to strive for greatness, push boundaries and never give up on their aspirations, no matter how big or small);
A Legend in my Time (2006 He reflects on loss, loneliness and heartbreak and asks, if all this suffering amounted to world acclaim, then he'd be a legend in his time). His mother always referred to his singing voice as a gift and encouraged his musical pursuits.

He died from diabetic complications a matter of months after his beloved wife, June Carter ( a singer/songwriter and a distant cousin of Jimmy Carter). He had been married 35 years with one son by this marriage and four daughters by his first.

He was the personification of country music to many all around the world. A musician, never defined by a single genre, he had a huge influence on rock and roll, blues rockabilly, folk and gospel and was the only artist inducted as a performer into both the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debbie D'Arcy All rights reserved.
Debbie D'Arcy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.