General Fiction posted November 4, 2023


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Pointless short.

Answers

by GWHARGIS

I stared out the grimy window in my office.   I was supposed to be working on a marketing plan for my company, Pembroke Falls.  I was tapped out.  How do you come up with something to bring business back to a place that was outdated.
 
I leaned back in the chair, never taking my eyes from the window.  It looked bleak.  Both the sky outside and my future with this firm.  
 
"I need a little inspiration," I mumbled to myself.  "Think, Jenny, think."
 
I closed my eyes.  I remember going to Pembroke when I was younger.  Bought my prom dress from one of their stores.  Used to walk through the petstore, tapping the glass that separated me from the overpriced puppies.  I mall walked with my grandmother.  This place was a big part of my life.
 
Christmas was in three months.  It was make or break time now.  Amazon and shipping had socked a lot of brick and mortar establishments in the gut.  Pembroke Falls was no exception.
 
I opened my eyes.   Very faintly I saw a few flakes of snow.  One flake at a time, I was catapulted back to the days of frenzied shopping, lugging bags of presents while listening to Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby.  Stopping for a hot chocolate in the food court.
 
I saw it all.  
 
Carolers roaming the aisles
Santa ho ho hoing.
Christmas garlands
Snowflakes hanging from the rafters
Sleighs with packages wrapped in shimmery papers.
Toy donation boxes
Wrapping booths.
 
I called the office of Pembroke Falls.
 
"Hey, it's Jenny, from marketing.  I've got it."
 
I didn't wait for a response.  Just hung up the phone and headed down to the main office. 
 
Even if we only had a few weeks to get it together, I think it was going to be okay.  
 
After all, Christmas was the season where everything was possible. 
 
 
 



Recognized


No idea where this came from.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.